Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Question Questions For Existing MyLink '13 Owners

I have to decide shortly whether to continue with my '13 NAV order or pick up a '12 off a dealer lot.

I spent some quality time with a MyLink last weekend.

I liked the look of it and the functionality.

However, I felt the placement (and viewing angle) forced me to take my eyes off the road for extended periods of time to accomplish tasks. For example: switching directly to one of the favorites I had setup on the different input sources. Also looking at the rear view camera took my view away from all the other mirrors and windows.

Note: I'm 6'3"

So the questions are:
- How long do you have to take your eyes off the road with the MyLink to accomplish your desired task?
- Have you ever felt the time you were not looking out the window compromised safety?

I know the steering wheel controls can be used for some tasks. I'm not referring to those.

Thanks in advance!
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
lurker

Drives: 2013 Challenger SXT Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I have to decide shortly whether to continue with my '13 NAV order or pick up a '12 off a dealer lot.

I spent some quality time with a MyLink last weekend.

I liked the look of it and the functionality.

However, I felt the placement (and viewing angle) forced me to take my eyes off the road for extended periods of time to accomplish tasks. For example: switching directly to one of the favorites I had setup on the different input sources. Also looking at the rear view camera took my view away from all the other mirrors and windows.

Note: I'm 6'3"

So the questions are:
- How long do you have to take your eyes off the road with the MyLink to accomplish your desired task?
- Have you ever felt the time you were not looking out the window compromised safety?

I know the steering wheel controls can be used for some tasks. I'm not referring to those.

Thanks in advance!
Different animal altogether, but my wife's new Escape has the MyFordTouch with nav, and there's no way you can do anything that requires actually touching the screen without taking your eyes off driving for what I consider too long. Plus, the newer Ford steering wheel controls are quite a bit different than the ones a couple years ago... so lots of folks are gonna be looking for something there too until they get the hang of it.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Anyone out there with the new Mylink care to share your opinions?
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Papa Q

Drives: 2013 CRT Camaro 2LT/RS
I just got my 13 yesterday... and I have no problems with it. I'm about 6'1" - 6'2" so I'm pretty close to your height. I just have the seat as low as I want and I get a good compromise between viewing angles needed.

Plus the buttons are pretty big so I didn't need to focus on it to get my tasks done.

...That being said, I normally wait for the car to stop to do more in depth tasks.
Papa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I don't see this radio being any different than any other radio. Touch screen, or knob, you have to look at what you are doing.

About all I do while moving is volume, change channels or change inputs. Anything else is done while stopped.

The only real argument would be the backup cam view. While the radio screen is larger, the rear view mirror view makes more sense. With that said, it's no different than offerings in other vehicles. Some are better, some are worse. You just learn to live with it, or not use it.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
wabibito

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
I have a 2011 with the pioneer and 2013 with my link. Even though the pioneer has many more functionality, I like the my link the most. unless you switching sources etc for browsing playlist, everything displayed on the HUD including incoming call.

The placement of mylink dash is a little low and sticking out. partially due to avoiding the glare, I don't see any glare on the screen doesn't matter what time or direction I drive. Which is a plus over the pioneer which is slightly slanted up.

Doesn't matter what radio you use, you will take your eye off the road. With the factory system, some tasks can be accomplish with HUD and steering wheels.
wabibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
8AD•SS

Drives: 45th anniversary SS Vert
I've had mine for about 1300 miles and haven't noticed any issues with looking down for too long. I don't play with my radio much while driving and almost everything I need to do consists of Source,volume, and scrolling which is all on the wheel.

Mike,
CRT ZL1 #271 Ordered 5/22, delivered 7/27 (R XIII)
R XIII's Build:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post5427709
8AD•SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
rocknRllr

Drives: 2013 2LT Crystal Red Metallic
I've had my 2013 three week today and no problems taking my eyes off the road. The controls on the steering wheel are more than adequate.
rocknRllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Hopefully I'll be able to reply to this thread in about 3 weeks or so, and with information on the NAV option as well...
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
there are alot of comans that we have to learn, once we get that down you should not take your eyes way from the road. also, is there an app for the phone that we can download and it would appear on the radio screen?
Jalberdi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
agent5

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS (+RS) + Hurst+ DME
I have a 13' and was debating if to get the unofficial firmware update that puts Igo NAV. However, my conclusion was that the onstar with the android/iphone app sending the directions you want are good enough. Another advantage of the Onstar is that it displays the directions on the dash or HID if you have it so you never have to take your eyes off the road. The cost just wasn't worth it in my humble opinion.
agent5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
I don't think it's anymore distracting once you get use to it. I set it up so i know right where things are and have gotten to the point where i can use it with the smallest glances.

You'll get use to it. You can customize where things are so you can group things together for ease.

It's my favorite feature of the car besides the dual exhaust mode. I think you'll regret it if you don't get it.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Harley Kidd

Drives: Black 2022, ZL1, Hurst M6 NPP
No issues. I really like this radio/Nav/backup camera config much better then what I had and did not have in my 2010.
Harley Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
i use the voice commands mostly
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/12/...ull-ever-need/

I hear there are NAV ones as well but I never looked them up for reference.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mylink, safety