Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
mjclemm
"Gunny"

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 RS Radiant Red
Oil Catch car ?

Hello guys..... Been reading ALOT about the "Oil Catch Can" but no one states WHY the catch can is being added... Any info would ROCK... Thanks guys.. Mjclemm...
mjclemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
I would encourage you to use the search function. There are volumes of information about catch cans already written here, with lots of pics.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
collinsRS
Active Duty U.S. Navy

Drives: 2012 Malibu LT, 2012 Camaro 1LT/RS
And I have one for sale...90.00 shipped. Gloss Black RX single valve!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
There are a ton of threads on this but basically it prevents oil from getting into your cylinders and clogging of the valvetrain. With the direct injection on these engines, the valves never really get cleaned off by the gasoline or fuel additives. It is a good preventative maintenance mod.

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclemm View Post
Hello guys..... Been reading ALOT about the "Oil Catch Can" but no one states WHY the catch can is being added... Any info would ROCK... Thanks guys.. Mjclemm...
Give this thread a look.

The "Catch Can" Explained!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Chase strikes again. Man do you ever leave the forms?

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
jerisc

Drives: CAR
I asked pretty much same question as OP. I got an in-depth about what blow by is.... (I know what blow by is, my husband's been a mechanic for ever). What I didn't get was why blow by is an issue on these engines (LLT & LFX). I understand the concept, I don't understand the need or issue - UNLESS this causes more problems later down the road than anything else I've driven over the last 30 years.
jerisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerisc View Post
I asked pretty much same question as OP. I got an in-depth about what blow by is.... (I know what blow by is, my husband's been a mechanic for ever). What I didn't get was why blow by is an issue on these engines (LLT & LFX). I understand the concept, I don't understand the need or issue - UNLESS this causes more problems later down the road than anything else I've driven over the last 30 years.
The blow by in and of itself may not be particularly worse on these engines. However, the blow by (and other crankcase vapors--it's more than just blow by) that the PCV system sucks into the intake manifold is a problem on these engines in particular because they're direct-injected. There is no detergent fuel washing the intake valves and keeping them clean, so they build up carbon deposits.

Not only that, but just burning the crankcase vapors will affect performance to a degree, causing knock retard.

Plenty of reasons to keep that crap out of the intake, IMO.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerisc View Post
Like 911medic said, the reason it wasn't a problem for anything else you've driven over the last 30 years is that anything else you've driven over the last 30 years had gas injected into the intake manifold ports and thus the gas flows over the valves, the detergents cleaning the oil sludge off the valves so it doesn't build up as bad over time.

In direct injected engines (LLT and LFX), you don't have the gas flowing over the valves. Nothing is stopping the oil sludge from building up. So you either prevent it by buying a catch can or you react to oil sludge by putting SeaFoam or other cleaners through your intake to clean the valves off.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
Having an electrical background, a schematic is worth 1000 words. Is there a Diagram of the flow with and with out the CC around?
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
There's a line that goes from the PCV vent and goes to the intake manifold. The CC goes inbetween. Not sure how much more of a diagram you need.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote