Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Problem programming garage door opener

So here's the problem, I can program the garage door to open on my ZL1, however when I program the Z my Traverse can no longer open the garage. If I reprogram the Traverse the ZL1 can no longer open the garage door. I HAD a 2010 Camaro and it worked along with the Traverse. What's going on??

I have to press the learn button on the garage door itself, not sure if that makes any difference.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't understand the part about pressing the learn button on the garage door.

The cars should be learning the garage door opener, not the other way around. Follow the car owner manuals. Go into learn mode on the car and then press the "open" button on the garage door remote.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
So here's the problem, I can program the garage door to open on my ZL1, however when I program the Z my Traverse can no longer open the garage. If I reprogram the Traverse the ZL1 can no longer open the garage door. I HAD a 2010 Camaro and it worked along with the Traverse. What's going on??

I have to press the learn button on the garage door itself, not sure if that makes any difference.
Did you ever clear out the codes on the old Camaro before selling it? I doubt this would cause the problem though if you didn't...

Hmmm, so you have a rolling code, ok. When you reprogram one after programing the other, are you repressing the learn button on the opener itself? Also, when you program the homelink in the cars, are you using the same transmitter to program both (y'know when you have to hold it next to the button and press both at the same time)?

The process I most recently used on a 2013 Ram was to clear it out first (it was clear anyway because it was new but usually you do so by pressing the outer most buttons for 20 seconds or until it reads somthing like "channels cleared" or a light flashes), then I uncovered the module hanging in the garage and grabed one of the remotes. I then had my father (works best with 2 people because you only have 30 seconds) press the learn button on the module, then I held the remote transmitter next to the button I wanted to program (2-5 inches away at most) and pressed both simultaneously until the DIC said "channel learned", and the door opened. Pressed it again just to be sure. I then had to repeat three more times...

Last edited by Scooter11; 07-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter11 View Post
Did you ever clear out the codes on the old Camaro before selling it? I doubt this would cause the problem though if you didn't...

Hmmm, so you have a rolling code, ok. When you reprogram one after programing the other, are you repressing the learn button on the opener itself? Also, when you program the homelink in the cars, are you using the same transmitter to program both?
I did not clear the old Camaro, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue since the Camaro is supposed to learn the remote not the other way around.

I use different transmitters for each vehicle, so that shouldn't be an issue. I AM repressing the learn button on the garage door, however I did that with the last Camaro and it worked out fine. I will try programming them both at the same time (on the same "learn sequence")
Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Beehave

Drives: 2010 Yellow/Black 2SS LS3
Quote:
I did not clear the old Camaro, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue since the Camaro is supposed to learn the remote not the other way around.

I use different transmitters for each vehicle, so that shouldn't be an issue. I AM repressing the learn button on the garage door, however I did that with the last Camaro and it worked out fine. I will try programming them both at the same time (on the same "learn sequence")
My 2 cents...unplug the garage door opener for at least 30 seconds, then when you plug back in, press learn on the opener, then with-in 30 seconds a home link button (I chose the one nearest to the drivers side). Sometimes you just have to reboot, but my understanding was the car sets the codes based on the opener, not the other way around.

Hope this works
Beehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Just press and hold the garage remote next to Camaro button and press and hold car button simultaneously till it flashes. Easy way...

In other words dont relearn door after SUV is set up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Just press and hold the garage remote next to Camaro button and press and hold car button simultaneously till it flashes. Easy way...

In other words dont relearn door after SUV is set up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I've tired multiple times but unfortunately that doesn't work. The Traverse and ZL1 require you to push the "learn" button on the garage door itself. When I do that it resets the previous vehicle.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I tried programming mine once and failed. Havent tried since. Lol.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
I just bought a generic opener. tried for an hour to program it with no luck and gave up. Later that day I found it on You tube. I was done in 5 minutes. The learn button on the motor is all it needed.
I did our Camaro with just the learn button.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
tramtwo

Quote:
I've tired multiple times but unfortunately that doesn't work. The Traverse and ZL1 require you to push the "learn" button on the garage door itself. When I do that it resets the previous vehicle.

I never had to press the learn button... I will do a search and find the original post I used. I know that I just had to press the garage door open while next to the home link button...

brb
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
tramtwo

Here is another thread.... good luck.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217970
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Some door openers have a limit on how many remotes that can be paired. What you could do is clear out all of the memory in the opener and start over. Usually that's pressing and holding the learn button for a specified time or until the "learn" led on the opener starts flashing. Then reprogram your vehicles. You may also need to clear the memory in both your vehicles.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
Paired mine to the one of the opener remotes, I did not hit the Purple button on the opener