Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #113
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Has anyone ever heard of a GM recommended Top End Cleaning Service? They use/used a product similar to SeaFoam.

That took/takes care of all the blow by crud by cleaning it. I used to do the service 20 years ago at the dealer and it had been around for quite some time by then. It can also Hydro Lock the engine if done improperly.

This is a problem that has been an issue ever since we had to have a PCV.

Back in the olden days if your motor didn't have the valve cover breathers your car simply couldn't be fast. I'm positive 99% of us had no clue what those were for but you HAD to have them.

It's an old existing issue. Nobody is reinventing the wheel, and no one is selling snake oil. It's quite simple if you want one buy one (get one of the established good ones) if not please quit arguing that they are not needed...
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #114
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjross View Post
I'm sorry for the lack of understanding but what is the deal with this catch can thing. You pay 40K for a rig and have to add a catch can. Putting it plain an simple, I just do not understand why you would need to install one of these on a new car. Is GM that bad at designing cars and engines that we have to do these type of mods. If it was really needed would GM not have added it or at the very least, would they not be forced to include this as a technical issue. I'm sorry, but this does not make sense. Just my 2 cents. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and patience.

Peace,

Mj
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
wondering if theres any pictures of a car thats had the catch can from the git-go..
to see how "clean" the system is, compared.....know what i mean?
Those questions are exactly what this thread is all about. If you read through you should find all the answers. Including photos.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #115
trclee

Drives: 2011 SS LS3
ok i have a question about the single vs the dual check valve. i understand the single for na applications and dual for fi. is there a downside to using the dual for a na build? the only reason i ask is i would like to install a can now but im planning to get blown within the next year.
trclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #116
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
but im planning to get blown within the next year.

Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #117
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by trclee View Post
ok i have a question about the single vs the dual check valve. i understand the single for na applications and dual for fi. is there a downside to using the dual for a na build? the only reason i ask is i would like to install a can now but im planning to get blown within the next year.
The only downside is you pay an extra $20 for the dual valve. Then you put on a vacuum cap one one of the fittings to run it as a single. When you are ready you connect the second valve.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #118
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
back in the carbureted days, we would run the hose into the headers..on airplanes without a catch can this is dumped overboard by the exhaust...
That's another topic. I believe the current catch can's sold today miss that part. It's beneficial to not have the blow by gases reenter the intake. The catch cans sold today are essentially a baffling system to remove the oil from the gases, but still recycle the gases which has its own downside.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #119
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Depending on which SC kit you go with the dual vacuum port RX can can not be configured the way IPF recommends. I'm not saying you can't use it on an IPF kit, it just can't be configured the way IPF recommends to stay compatible with their tune and intake setup.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #120
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by trclee View Post
Like the other have mentioned, you can get a dual outlet catch can with one of the outlets capped until you need it.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #121
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
I have a 2013 2LT and I have 2 questions for APEX.
1 Do I need and what is the purpose of the Optional Breather cap?
2 How do I know what bracket type I need?
Thanks
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #122
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
I have a 2013 2LT and I have 2 questions for APEX.
1 Do I need and what is the purpose of the Optional Breather cap?
2 How do I know what bracket type I need?
Thanks
Without getting too technical, the breather cap helps the catch can do it's job just a little bit better. It is not critical but it does help. You will need the standard bracket.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #123
rush2112

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #124
rush2112

Website states 6-8 weeks lead time. Is that true? Got a 3000 mile trip in late August.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #125
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
Website states 6-8 weeks lead time. Is that true? Got a 3000 mile trip in late August.
For a RX catch can, yes. I would recommend looking at the Elite Engineering. It is another good option and we have no lead time on them.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #126
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
I have an Elite catch can in my garage. Its a dual port style with no check valves. I am thinking of installing it but not really sure how to do so with my turbo set up.

I want an RX dual valve can but I cant wait 5 weeks for it, Camaro Fest is right around the corner. My current setup, I believe, is causing a vacuum leak which is causing a P0300 code. Its very aggravating to say the least. Right now I have the drivers and passenger side valve cover pulling open air from the engine bay, the passenger side is pulling a lot of air, and I believe is the source of my P0300 code. I left the u-shaped tube behind the throttle body connected. I thought about tapping another port into my current can but I don't know how well that will work. Any suggestion on how to hook this thing up for a short term fix to my issue?

Tags
apex catch can, apex motorsports, catch can, elite engineering catch can, rx catch can