Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #85
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
I have never owned a V8 car with stock catback until my ZL1. NPP is a great option for those that DD their car. I had a MBRP catback on my SS and it sounded amazing. Deeper and louder than my NPP but it was always loud. As a DD it pretty much killed using bluetooth for calls and long trips were annoying. I feel NPP is the best exhaust for most people. I cannot tell you how many people comment on the sound. I had a service guy at a dealership swear the exhaust was modded. But when the valves close it become quiet which allows me to use my bluetooth and talk with people in the car without yelling. Active exhaust gives an owner a best of both worlds setup that no non-active catback can replicate.

It is pretty rare as I do not see it on many "lot" cars. I am very curious to hear it on a V6...

Man, wait until you hear mine now ... I got my Solo cats install and they really woke up the sound of the exhaust.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #86
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Because dual mode exhaust is a gimmick. It's for people that desire to leave their cars stock.
If this is what you think you are misinformed.

it is by far the best sounding and best mod friendly catback there is.
just as light as aftermarket and can be quiet or loud depending on your mood.

my car demands attention with this exhaust and I am FAR from stock.

it is loud as hell when it needs to be and quiet as a mouse while cruising

and with a M2W I can tell it when that time is.

there is a reason this was the stock exhaust on the Zl1s and vettes.
not to mention snake oil or impossible or not but DM equipped LS3s seem to be making more power stock than the retro stock exhaust stock cars.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #87
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Sorry Norm, once again we will have to agree to disagree ... If you compare the NPP option to any after market system, it is more that worth the $895. Most of the name brand systems are going for $800 - $1000 easy. And this system comes with full warranty and ties into and is controlled by the ECM.

I understand you aren't into exhaust systems, but for those that are it's an awesome system.
I am on Norm's side, but I also, as he does, feel to each their own. I just have one question, and it is just out of curiosity. Do you buy the exhaust for the sound, or do you buy exhaust for performance. One must keep in mind that according to GM, the NPP on the Camaros is strictly sound, which is OK, if that is what you bought it for.

No right or wrong answer, just curious how you feel.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #88
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I am on Norm's side, but I also, as he does, feel to each their own. I just have one question, and it is just out of curiosity. Do you buy the exhaust for the sound, or do you buy exhaust for performance. One must keep in mind that according to GM, the NPP on the Camaros is strictly sound, which is OK, if that is what you bought it for.

both..
performance and sound.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #89
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Sorry Norm, once again we will have to agree to disagree ... If you compare the NPP option to any after market system, it is more that worth the $895. Most of the name brand systems are going for $800 - $1000 easy. And this system comes with full warranty and ties into and is controlled by the ECM.
In that comparison, it's certainly competitive in terms of what you get and how much you spend. If those are a person's only options, what can I say?

Quote:
I understand you aren't into exhaust systems,
No, and yes.

No. I wouldn't ever spend $1k on an aftermarket system either. Not even if I could get two aftermarket systems for that.

And yes. I've been fabbing pieces of and whole systems for my cars ever since 1966 (and at least a couple more for cars that my kids have owned). None of those efforts has been OE replacement.

Currently, if the straight pipe I just put in the Maxima to replace a leaky flange connection turns out to be too much under too many conditions, I'll weld in one of the 2.5"/2.5" oval straight-through mufflers I salvaged from a car that I scrapped last spring. The parts won't cost me a dime, but there's one hanger I'll have to re-think. Then again I've got some bits of steel laying around here and there looking for a use, and a MIG welder.

Maybe my DIY gene is just too dominant . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #90
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
I can't believe I read the whole thing.

I am now thinking about getting rid of my gimmicky power windows and seats as they add nothing to performance...

I think sometimes we forget that unless we are talking about the base Camaro NOTHING is practical about these cars. 895 for a "factory performance exhaust" that is very mod friendly and refined enough to have NO DRONE at highway speeds. Yeah I wouldn't get one of these gimmicky things.
Those pipes sure look sweet sticking out the back...nice look!
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #91
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post

I buy for sound first, and any gains is a plus. I just grew up with a certain sound in the 60's that I still enjoy today. I don't like just " loud " I like having a tone to the exhaust. I'm just a product of the Detroit street scene of the 60's into Cherry Bomb and Thrush mufflers. If you can tie them with a set of header even better ...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #92
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I've read on here that the stock exhaust system isn't all that restrictive and no cat-back system is going to add all that much hp.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #93
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
From here, NPP is way,way,way worth the the money. This engine makes such wonderful sounds-not just noise-that I can't imagine being satisfied with the quieter standard exhaust. To each his own, I am cool with that.

It is not about the small power increase, but rather the increased aural pleasure of driving an American crossplane crankshaft V8 engined muscle car.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #94
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
I've read on here that the stock exhaust system isn't all that restrictive and no cat-back system is going to add all that much hp.
OE exhaust systems are a whole lot more free-flowing than they were 40 or 50 years ago, so it should not be surprising that the torque and power gains aren't nearly what they used to be. This improvement has been driven more by the emissions and CAFE requirements than anything else. It's kind of like getting a little "free power" relative to what the same engine would have made previously . . . and you don't have to run it quite as hard as a result.

Even catalytic converters are far less restrictive than the pellet type devices that Chevy used at least through 1979. Think in terms of double the flow at the same differential pressure.

The engineering rule of thumb is 1 psi of exhaust backpressure corresponds to 2% to 2.5% power.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #95
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
I got it, dealer upped my trade to cover the cost of it. I like it. F everything else.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #96
Baldwin feeder

Drives: 1986 Chevy C-10 and 2013 BRM 1SS
I ordered my SS with it and pulled the fuse about a week ago. I'm debating on getting the M2W because it really is great to be able to cruise around with the fuse in and no drone yet pull the fuse when I want noise all the time. I can absolutely understand the flip side though, saving money for other things. But honestly one of the reasons I finally decided not to order a 1LS but instead a 1SS is the sound of the V8. I was trading in my 1991 Caprice with a very loud exhaust and figured I'd miss having the V8 soundtrack everyday thus the 1SS with NPP.
Baldwin feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #97
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin feeder View Post
I ordered my SS with it and pulled the fuse about a week ago. I'm debating on getting the M2W because it really is great to be able to cruise around with the fuse in and no drone yet pull the fuse when I want noise all the time. I can absolutely understand the flip side though, saving money for other things. But honestly one of the reasons I finally decided not to order a 1LS but instead a 1SS is the sound of the V8. I was trading in my 1991 Caprice with a very loud exhaust and figured I'd miss having the V8 soundtrack everyday thus the 1SS with NPP.
A 91 caprice? Was that your daily driver? How many miles were on it when you got rid of it?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #98
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Has anyone come across a picture or diagram showing the npp insides? I am curious about the interior flow. I have searched but didn't find one.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote