Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Just because more than one weight of oil is Dexos1 Gen2 certified doesn't necessarily mean you get to pick which of those weights to use.

From a recent repair industry newsletter. No mention of 'weights' is made for the GM Dexos spec like there is for a number of other mfr oil specs in that same article. The implication is that for normal use you'd use what's in the vehicle's own basic documentation (which would include the oil fill cap).

Quote:
GM Dexos Motor Oil Specifications
GM Dexos1-approved oils are recommended for all 2011 and newer GM vehicles with gasoline engines. Dexos1-approved oils are designed to work with the oil life system in GM vehicles. These oils are designed to reduce carbon deposits in the combustion chamber that can occur in some Ecotec engines.
GM revised Dexos1 specifications in 2015. Oils that meet this standard are often labeled Dexos1 Gen2, but many oils do not include the Gen2 on the label due to confusion with Dexos2 oils for diesel engines. Dexos1 Gen2 oils are formulated to reduce incidents of low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI).

Norm
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #16
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Just because more than one weight of oil is Dexos1 Gen2 certified doesn't necessarily mean you get to pick which of those weights to use....
I'm not sure who you're telling this to. Tell it to the factory. Tell it to the owners manual. Tell it to the performance supplement. All three vary.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
So I reached out to one of the engineers at the Tonawanda Plant I have a very good relationship with.

The LT1 is factory-filled with 5W-30, currently. There was a brief period where they used something else more than two years ago (didn't say what)...but your car should have been filled with 5W-30. Don't know how to explain the oil analysis...though, it at least explains my confusion. I remember being told that less than a year ago.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I'm not sure who you're telling this to. Tell it to the factory. Tell it to the owners manual. Tell it to the performance supplement. All three vary.
Let's take the performance supplement recommendations out of this discussion, as they're for use well outside anything that could be construed as 'normal street driving'. That's why it's in a supplement.

If there's any difference between the OM recommends/requires and what the factory filled it with (and the OM is correct), that doesn't obligate the car owner to continue making the same mistake.

If the OM is in fact wrong, the problem is probably higher up in the food chain.

Norm
Old 11-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
... that doesn't obligate the car owner to continue making the same mistake....

So what do you trust? A potential typo, a logistics confusion, or 3rd party data?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #20
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:

So what do you trust? A potential typo, a logistics confusion, or 3rd party data?
I'm gonna say Typo...
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #21
BigSky

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
0W-20???

I think the concern is...the idea of an oil change before winter storage is to put fresh oil in the engine that doesn't have the fuel, moisture, particles, etc in it that could increase chances of corrosion if left in there for a long period of time...so if he changes the oil, will a 100-200 miles of driving until the car is actually put away damage anything.

I don't think there will be a problem. Like someone else said, just make sure the oil gets up to temperature to evaporate the moisture.
^^^ This is what I was worried about. Probably overkill but every article I read regarding storing a car for long periods says change the oil before you put it in storage. Never had a high performance vehicle and was just being cautious. Thanks for all the input.
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:

I trust the potential (but unlikely) typo - data like that should have received close scrutiny for accuracy, and once approved would not be subject to randomly occurring errors. I would expect correction pages to be issued if anything did manage to escape the proofreading team and end up in consumer car documentation.

3rd party data is obviously at the mercy of logistics.

As far as logistics errors are concerned . . . the car in my sig was delivered with cambers nearly a quarter degree outside the factory range - almost a full degree more negative than factory preferred (no, I didn't have it corrected). And another car I ordered came with the wrong instrument cluster. Errors on the production line happen.

Norm
Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #23
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
It could be that the factory filled it with the wrong fluid.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #24
Ryephile
Hot Dog

I wonder what the Gen V's are filled with in other GM vehicles?

Anybody else want to play "whatabout", or is there any other data out there?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
^^^ This is what I was worried about. Probably overkill but every article I read regarding storing a car for long periods says change the oil before you put it in storage. Never had a high performance vehicle and was just being cautious. Thanks for all the input.
It may be a performance vehicle, but it works just like all the rest.

Mine is now resting snugly in the garage for the winter.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #26
Bobkd

Drives: 2018 1ss, 2021 silverado HD
Quote:
I wonder what the Gen V's are filled with in other GM vehicles?

Anybody else want to play "whatabout", or is there any other data out there?
Well, my 2015 5.3 silverado calls for 0w20. Where are our 6.2's made? I've heard they were made in Canada, but my window sticker says made in the U.S. So which is it?
Bobkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkd View Post
Well, my 2015 5.3 silverado calls for 0w20. Where are our 6.2's made? I've heard they were made in Canada, but my window sticker says made in the U.S. So which is it?
The 6.2L L86 indeed calls for 0W-20 Dexos 1, and a larger capacity oil filter. The primary hardware difference between the L86 and LT1 is the intake manifold. All the long-block bits are the same part numbers, meaning their oil passages are identical.

So coming back to what Norm is asserting, that we can't just pick our viscosity: how come GM can?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
Mr. Wyndham

Because they're the ones who engineered the vehicle...

We can, of course, do whatever we want. But to discount their expertise and recommendations isn't the wisest thing I've ever heard of.