Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
This car is so much better than a ZL1...

The car that is far better than the ZL1 is the ZL1 convertible. It is everything the ZL1 is and more. My previous experience with a cabriolet version of a high performance coupe was the M3. Terrible driver's downgrade, less capable, less rigid, less everything for more money. The new GT convertible is admittedly the cruiser version of the coupe. But the ZL1 rag is a hoot. Performs as well as the coupe by restores everything my experience with the standard ZL1 was lacking. Better visibility natch with top gone but no worse with it up. Better sounding, more involving, as rigid. I am simply in love with this car... It pushed my buttons in ways the standard car fell short. If you snagged one, two thumbs up. I literally stepped out of the car less than an hour ago and the experience is still making me shake. Wow, simply wow. The standard Z impressed me with the huge improvement over the standard car the convertible just impressed me...period. IMHO, the best Chevy for the money ever. And FUN!!!

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
The car that is far better than the ZL1 is the ZL1 convertible. It is everything the ZL1 is and more. My previous experience with a cabriolet version of a high performance coupe was the M3. Terrible driver's downgrade, less capable, less rigid, less everything for more money. The new GT convertible is admittedly the cruiser version of the coupe. But the ZL1 rag is a hoot. Performs as well as the coupe by restores everything my experience with the standard ZL1 was lacking. Better visibility natch with top gone but no worse with it up. Better sounding, more involving, as rigid. I am simply in love with this car... It pushed my buttons in ways the standard car fell short. If you snagged one, two thumbs up. I literally stepped out of the car less than an hour ago and the experience is still making me shake. Wow, simply wow. The standard Z impressed me with the huge improvement over the standard car the convertible just impressed me...period. IMHO, the best Chevy for the money ever. And FUN!!!
What about a ZR-1 with the top off.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
So a convertible makes the car that much better? Sounds like your a little tickled if just that option makes the car "SO MUCH" better then the Coupe.
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
I will be picking up my ZL1 Convertible next week. I'm expecting it to be as fun as you describe. I'm looking forward to driving it on Highway 1 from Carmel to Big Sur on a warn, sunny Saturday afternoon.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Unless you are talking about a C4 1990's ZR-1, the top isn't removable. And I wouldn't compare an early 90's Vette to a ZL1!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I like Vettes. The wife loves 'em. But I need 4 seats and want a better interior for the price. Also the ZR-1 is more one dimensional than the Vette. Great performance car, no doubt but I really feel the ZL1 is the most overlooked domestic car in the marketplace. My buying patterns have always swung from convertible to coupe to roadster to coupe to... Well you get the idea. The ZL1 convertible to me at least could be the ideal car. My wife and I had decided on a ZL1 and although the numbers are impressive and the reviews glowing I have to say I wasn't excited about getting one. Not sure why until today. The ragtop I could very excited about. Now to convince my wife.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Convertibles are for girls!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
So a convertible makes the car that much better? Sounds like your a little tickled if just that option makes the car "SO MUCH" better then the Coupe.
I really believe it does. I agree with the mags that said the ZL1 was a better car than a GT500. Yet as much as the car impressed me it felt almost Audi like. Not that that's a bad thing but few Audi's have thrilled me as much as compatible Mercs or Bimmers. The convertible I rode in and drive today simply had that level of excitement I was missing. Makes me more convinced than every that "ZL1" may have been the wrong monicker. If you like Camaros, heck if you like performance cars drive one. It reverses the trend of convertibles compromising performance coupes. The weight, the structure all negatives in the coupe benefit the ragtop. I am really genuinely excited by this car. Don't believe me, see my post of my Mustang forum. Yep, it's that good.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
Convertibles are for girls!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Often. Wouldn't get me picking a M3 or 911 convertible over the hardtop. I would easily pick this over the ZL1 coupe and the value over the GT500 becomes even greater. Mind I'd still like a Shelby, well because it's a Shelby and it's lovingly insane.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
BIGBLKZL1

Drives: '12 ZL1/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
BIGBLKZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLKZL1 View Post
Dude, why the facepalm, the guy is praising the vert ZL1. Is it because he owns a mustang? C'mon, the dudes a true car guy - cut him some slack.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
To me this post says that Chevy didn't just chop of the roof and say here you guys go.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Wow fanboyism on this site has reached a new low.

Guy with a mustang is praising the rag top zl1 and people are ragging on him
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
No doubt
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote