Jay23

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th, 2007 VRSCDX
Lol I want to see pics of the" primer " on the camaro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
eric n
US muscle car lover!

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 6m, brembos
I prefer the mustang over the camaro (which is a pretty awesome car) and paint issues seems an odd reason to make the trade. But, they are both great cars with very different personalities. After you've had the 5.0 for a while, post your personal comparison between the ownership/driving experience.

Enjoy your new mustang, I love mine!!!
eric n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Contrats, brother! Those are damn fine cars.

For what it's worth, the paint quality is my biggest complaint on my car. For the nay-sayers that poo-poo that fact, I have more chips and paint issues on my less-than-2k mile Camaro than I did with my 2011 Mazda daily driver when I traded it @ 17k miles. 17k miles of summer/winter/everyday driving and it looks better than my Camaro. Guess what? Mazda uses water-based paint too, but it's applied thicker.

Chevy really cheaped-out on their paint.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Kinda off topic, but the paint on my Z looks a lot thicker and better job than on the MY10 I traded in.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Meh, paint is something that is going to deteriorate no matter what. I have scratches all up and down my 5.0 where some prick decided to key it for no reason.
Yes ppl are amazing creatures.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
maybe repaint the SS, if it was the only concern...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
maybe repaint the SS, if it was the only concern...
Maybe when you pay 30K+ for a car, you expect it's paint to be a better quality, and maybe GM should have repainted the car for him?

I know my Pontiac G8 GT (sold) had horrible paint, and it was frustrating to say the least, I know some folks got GM to approve repainting the entire vehicle and others got their front fascia, bumper, hood repainted. But most people were told to pound sand. They were told that the paint wasn't defective, That rock chips come from an outside source of force so therefore GM can't be held liable.. Never mind the fact that most cars on the road don't chip that easily. (I'm talking down to the primer)

Bottom line-- If the paint was as bad (or worse) than the G8 GT that I had, I can see bailing out on the car before it got so bad, that he would have had to invest several thousand dollars into a paint job, just to make it remotely close to bringing market value price.

I haven't owned my 5.0 long enough to give positive or negative input regarding the paint. So this isn't me comparing the two paint jobs. Lord knows these cars get compared too much too often on this site as it is. So don't think that I am trying to do that with my statement.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Xorak

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugeKnight View Post
a car is gonna get scratched regardless no matter how much you look after it. but grats on the new ride

not if you do it right.
Xorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
get what makes you happy. Congrats!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
Maybe when you pay 30K+ for a car, you expect it's paint to be a better quality, and maybe GM should have repainted the car for him?

I know my Pontiac G8 GT (sold) had horrible paint, and it was frustrating to say the least, I know some folks got GM to approve repainting the entire vehicle and others got their front fascia, bumper, hood repainted. But most people were told to pound sand. They were told that the paint wasn't defective, That rock chips come from an outside source of force so therefore GM can't be held liable.. Never mind the fact that most cars on the road don't chip that easily. (I'm talking down to the primer)

Bottom line-- If the paint was as bad (or worse) than the G8 GT that I had, I can see bailing out on the car before it got so bad, that he would have had to invest several thousand dollars into a paint job, just to make it remotely close to bringing market value price.

I haven't owned my 5.0 long enough to give positive or negative input regarding the paint. So this isn't me comparing the two paint jobs. Lord knows these cars get compared too much too often on this site as it is. So don't think that I am trying to do that with my statement.
You must not know much about paint, car values, and the instrinsic value and quality of factory paint.

A "repaint" would be WORSE than poor-quality factory paint, and would totally screw the value of his relatively new car. Mask lines in all the jambs, overspray down inside every panel gap, and all over the underside of the car, if they skimp on the sanding/prep you get adhesion issues down the road, potential fish-eyes, dirt in the paint, sanding marks under the paint, inconsistent texture and orange peel, and on and on and on...

Having a dealer repaint your car is NOT fixing a factory paint job. The only real fix is getting a replacement car with good factory paint, or ditching the car for a fair price given the pro-rated service its already provided you.

Factory paint is applied by robots, in atmospherically-maintained-optimal conditions, in clean-rooms that are more dust-free than a surgery ward.

Dealer re-paints are done by Bubba, in the dealer's old poorly-maintained beat to hell booth, weather be damned...

Asking GM to re-paint your car is asking to take a bad situation, and make it five times shittier.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
No worries, I am thinking of trading my 2010 1SS/RS with 5,000 miles for a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins next year.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
You must not know much about paint, car values, and the instrinsic value and quality of factory paint.

A "repaint" would be WORSE than poor-quality factory paint, and would totally screw the value of his relatively new car. Mask lines in all the jambs, overspray down inside every panel gap, and all over the underside of the car, if they skimp on the sanding/prep you get adhesion issues down the road, potential fish-eyes, dirt in the paint, sanding marks under the paint, inconsistent texture and orange peel, and on and on and on...

Having a dealer repaint your car is NOT fixing a factory paint job. The only real fix is getting a replacement car with good factory paint, or ditching the car for a fair price given the pro-rated service its already provided you.

Factory paint is applied by robots, in atmospherically-maintained-optimal conditions, in clean-rooms that are more dust-free than a surgery ward.

Dealer re-paints are done by Bubba, in the dealer's old poorly-maintained beat to hell booth, weather be damned...

Asking GM to re-paint your car is asking to take a bad situation, and make it five times shittier.
All those issues you described come from using a sub par painter...
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Congrats. I was 5.0 shopping when I bought my SS. So far I'm happy with the decision but a 5.0 is in my forecast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
All those issues you described come from using a sub par painter...
Agree. A good painter will not leave those issues.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
J666

Drives: Camaro
This is nothing new. I got rid of my 2007 Silverado a couple of years ago because the paint was absolutely horrible. The Camaro's paint isn't great, either. I'll try getting some pictures to show you all that GM's paint does indeed suck.
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote