Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #1653
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
No disrespect ,but my question wasn't to you anyway. All we are doing is going off topic by keeping with this back and forth. If he wants to reply to the question fine. If not, well then that's fine too.

I done on this topic.

Back to the real topic whatever that is. I'm not sure.

dude keep up, will ya?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #1654
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
dude keep up, will ya?
It's hard when you're in the MEGA THREAD!!!

motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #1655
JimmyDeanSausage
Banned

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
that being said AL O. did say the ZL1 would one up the GT500 and I think it does the 2012 as an overall car. the 2013 though he has only said it will be faster around the track. which I think it will be.
Pretty sure he also said it would be faster 0-60, which from what I've seen, it isn't.
JimmyDeanSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #1656
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I'm outta here! Peace.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #1657
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
[QUOTE=avcbm;5006040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
Guess you missed this. Back when the ZL1 was still being referred to as the Z28.
http://www.camaro5.com/new-photos-ca...-against-gt500QUOTE]

I remember that, you know what's amazing; if you go back and read it... you can really see who was really hyped..... about the Z28 aka ZL1, now it's like a punch in the gut...... all the air just went out.... Not for me, I'm still getting my ZL1, it will be at the dealer hopefully tomorrow.... for me it was more than just horsepower, but I have to admit it's like a drug, all that power at your hands for the same price.... but I want the whole package, handling, looks, power ect.... anyway just thought it was amazing to go back and look at all the talking that was done....
I like your attitude!!!
Bottom line you bought what you like the best!! That's all that really matters.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #1658
DirtyAL
Banned

Drives: 1999 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I think you need to get with the times. This is no longer the 1960's and custmers' expectations have chaged a lot. Again, 1/4 mile time do not matter and are not the sole measure of a car's performance. The ZL1 was never made with the intention of dominating the 1/4. There is a COPO Camaro for that. Please get with the times and understand what some are trying to present here. Probably no reason for you to be entering this discussion on your 2nd post here.
So what are you trying to present? That the ZL1 only is superior to tbe GT500 because it has posted a good 'Ring time? Let me ask you something since your so hell bent on handling and braking....when was the last time you were on a road course? You obviously have never been other wise common sense would have told you to buy a N/A car instead of a S/C car if that was your thing. The ZL1 is a wonderful car, but it cant defy physics...

Btw, it may be my second post but I am not short on knowledge of cars. I have been a visitor here for a while and just decided to become a member.
DirtyAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #1659
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
I think you need to get with the times. This is no longer the 1960's and custmers' expectations have chaged a lot. Again, 1/4 mile time do not matter and are not the sole measure of a car's performance. The ZL1 was never made with the intention of dominating the 1/4. There is a COPO Camaro for that. Please get with the times and understand what some are trying to present here. Probably no reason for you to be entering this discussion on your 2nd post here.
You're right, it was built with the sole purpose of dominating the GT500. It doesn't.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #1660
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #1661
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I was talking about GM using the ring ast a development ground. it has nothing to do with ford.

GM started there with Vetts, then the CTS-V, then the camaro. this devlopment method was not invented to combat ford anybody who belived this is just wrong.

that being said AL O. did say the ZL1 would one up the GT500 and I think it does the 2012 as an overall car. the 2013 though he has only said it will be faster around the track. which I think it will be.

for the minimal money to get to even HP I think a 600whp ZL1 will be faster around a track that a GT500. If I did not belive that I would be trying to convince my wife that she does not hate mustang and buy one.
No

http://i.autoblog.com/2012/01/20/cam...-shelby-gt500/

He specifically said zl1 would be faster to 60 than the 2013 gt500. Wrong.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #1662
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
You're right, it was built with the sole purpose of dominating the GT500. It doesn't.

Too Slow what did you buy?? I bet you bought a GT-R so you can poke fun at all of us, and call us Rubbish like Clarkson on Top Gear.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #1663
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyAL View Post
So what are you trying to present? That the ZL1 only is superior to tbe GT500 because it has posted a good 'Ring time? Let me ask you something since your so hell bent on handling and braking....when was the last time you were on a road course? You obviously have never been other wise common sense would have told you to buy a N/A car instead of a S/C car if that was your thing. The ZL1 is a wonderful car, but it cant defy physics...

Btw, it may be my second post but I am not short on knowledge of cars. I have been a visitor here for a while and just decided to become a member.
I think I have made that pretty clear. I never claimed the ZL1 to be superior. Did you see me write that?

1.) I chose a ZL1, because for me it was what I wanted. I based the decision on several criteria. I have it and must say I am not at all disappointed. It is a very nice automobile.

2.) The 2013 GT500 is truly awesome as well. If I were a Mustang fan I would be giddy about it. Note, I have owned Mustangs as well. The new 5.8L engine is an awesome achievement for Ford. Kudos to them, really. The car is just not for me. I could have one if I wanted one but I just do not want one.

3.) I didn't purchase my ZL1 to be able to dominate a GT500. That would be foolhardy.

4.) Performance numbers for the 2013 GT50 are just starting to be released. We need to let this play out and get a good cross section of numbers from various sources. At some point the two cars will be put together for a real head to head. After a few head to head reviews we will have a better idea how these two stack up. I suspect they will be very close. We will see.

5.) My personal opinion is the Ring is a great measuring stick. I would like to see how the 2013 GT500 does there. Pretty simple. Ford should take their best hot shoe over there and get their best lap. Let's see it. I can't be the only person that would love to see this. If it smacks the ZL1 around, then hail to the chief.

Does this clear it up a bit?
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #1664
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
No

http://i.autoblog.com/2012/01/20/cam...-shelby-gt500/

He specifically said zl1 would be faster to 60 than the 2013 gt500. Wrong.
A race to 60......... hmm this might be a drivers race, especially if the ZL1 is an Auto. MotorTrend has the Shelby at 3.5 and ZL1 at 3.8. The 3.5 the Shelby got was probably done with a very good driver. The ZL1 3.8 probably could be done by your grandmother in the auto.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #1665
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SS View Post
It's funny to see excuse after excuse here. Before it was " 662HP? ha, its useless power since it can't deliver it to the ground" . Now its " The Camaro is faster around the road course".

Whenever I take my F body to the track, there is 10 Mustangs to my 1 Camaro. I have yet to see any ZL1 track experiences from users here, except for a whole lot bragging. I say everyone keeps there mouth shut, and do the real talking at the track with YOUR car.
True enough statement about the track. The only domestics I see are Mustangs and Vettes. I hope the ZL1 brings more Camaro guys out. It's a lot of (scary) fun.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #1666
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
I think I have made that pretty clear. I never claimed the ZL1 to be superior. Did you see me write that?

1.) I chose a ZL1, because for me it was what I wanted. I based the decision on several criteria. I have it and must say I am not at all disappointed. It is a very nice automobile.

2.) The 2013 GT500 is truly awesome as well. If I were a Mustang fan I would be giddy about it. Note, I have owned Mustangs as well. The new 5.8L engine is an awesome achievement for Ford. Kudos to them, really. The car is just not for me. I could have one if I wanted one but I just do not want one.

3.) I didn't purchase my ZL1 to be able to dominate a GT500. That would be foolhardy.

4.) Performance numbers for the 2013 GT50 are just starting to be released. We need to let this play out and get a good cross section of numbers from various sources. At some point the two cars will be put together for a real head to head. After a few head to head reviews we will have a better idea how these two stack up. I suspect they will be very close. We will see.

5.) My personal opinion is the Ring is a great measuring stick. I would like to see how the 2013 GT500 does there. Pretty simple. Ford should take their best hot shoe over there and get their best lap. Let's see it. I can't be the only person that would love to see this. If it smacks the ZL1 around, then hail to the chief.

Does this clear it up a bit?
I think the Ring favours the Camaro. At least IMHO.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote