Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #1597
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
yup.

You picked the right car.

The ZL1 will be my 7th Camaro so very deep down, I am more a Camaro guy than anything but I am not a narrow minded kool-aid drinking fanboy.
That's cool ! The ZL1 was my first pick and I still want to try and get one ,but I've been without a modern hot rod since selling my SS Camaro almost a year ago now, and I don't want to go the summer without getting in on this fun.

I love all types of cars really. This is the best time to be a car nut no matter what you prefer.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #1598
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macvicar24 View Post
GM just needs to come out with an option that matches the GT500 price of $64k. It's called an LS9. GM could tweak the power to match the GT500 and things could be a little more even.

Curious what the GT500 times would be stock (w/o optional coolers, rear diff, and track pack)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7 sec 0-60
16 sec 1/4 mile

happy now?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #1599
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Yes - as a matter of fact, one would have to sit in a product planning meeting - because what is said publicly isn't necessarily the whole story.

The auto industry is a very interesting business - and frankly, it's incestuous -- some people do happen to jump from company to company - and from supplier to supplier.
To to continue the argument ,but I have a question. So what your saying is that we shouldn't believe what you guys tell us?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #1600
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
If I was interested in 1/4 mile performance I would have continued to modify my SS and for a lot less money put a stock ZL1 or 2013 Shelby to shame. For me, it's really not a measure that I put much stock in. It is relatively easy to obtain straight line perfromance. I think you would agree with this. That is really my point. The 2013 Shelby deserve some credit for what should be better straight line performance. It's a pretty simple power to weight ratio. For me, it does not matter. It doesn't make me regret my purchase one bit.
- I don't want you to regret your purchase. ANd I am not knocking your car at all. All I'm saying that the Shelby is not "just" a straight line performer any longer. Though I would not mind one bit if it was with its stock numbers and top speed what they are. I think you are really going to be surprised by its road coarse manners...

Last edited by SVT Murrocket; 05-22-2012 at 05:06 PM.
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #1601
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macvicar24 View Post
Curious what the GT500 times would be stock (w/o optional coolers, rear diff, and track pack)?
Those options wouldn't do anything to help 1/4-mile sprints, and in actuality, is must more added weight. Their purpose is all for road-course duty, you don't need any of that junk for the 1/4-mile unless you're running continuous laps ...

The better gear ratio with the SVTPP is purely to compensate for the larger rear tire diameter, it pretty much is a wash...

And the stock tires are grippier for drag-launches than the road-course-designed Eagle F1's.

In all, I think a bone-stock GT500 would probably be the strongest-charger at the strip.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #1602
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I guess you are calling out many Camaro owners here in C5 who keep posting and starting threads about Mustangs. So are you calling the OP an "idjut" for starting a Shelby thread in the ZL1 section? For the most part, the Mustang guys are simply replying to these posts/threads. Just saying.
Nope, just agreeing with the OP that we can talk to death or ad nauseaum about the mustang but the final choice comes down to being loyal to the bowtie for our own personal reasons . Plus, I was jus' tryen ta be funny is all. lighten up francis.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #1603
69bossnine
Banned

For clarification, Ford had a press day where they gave a butt-load of media-types and magazines access to a few GT500's to flog all day long... Needless to say, the cars had NO rest, and they were heat-soaked to the hilt.

The dumbasses who wrote the original article posted here didn't even know how to arm the damn traction control. A 4,100 rpm launch?? That tells you all you need to know.

Big magazines, like Motor Trend, don't play with all the little boys. They get their own car, and go run their own instrumented tests. If you dismiss them as contrived, then go ahead and toss out your MT ZL1 tests as garbage too...
Old 05-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #1604
9sec5oh
Account Suspended

Drives: 1989 Mustang LX
There is no gear ratio change with a 2013 GT500 no matter what pkg you have, it's 3.31 across the board. The earlier model GT500's had different gear ratio depending on the pkg chosen.
9sec5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #1605
69bossnine
Banned

Ah hah, so I don't even know all the shadiddy either.

That seals my deal though, the base no-option GT500 would be the strongest drag-strip star.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1606
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-ZL1 View Post
Is Ford going to get hit with a GG tax?
No - the gearing handles that issue.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1607
nanokpsi

Drives: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
To to continue the argument ,but I have a question. So what your saying is that we shouldn't believe what you guys tell us?
I thought this phrase was going to come form a Ford guy.......
nanokpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #1608
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Quote:

If I were to get the 2013 GT500, I would be happy with just the base model. It is all you need to show the tail lights to its main competitor in a straight line. And we don't know yet how the base model does in a roadcourse venue. There is a misconception that you need the SVT-PP and/or the Track Package to go straight fast. Not so. The base GT500 will do just that for less $ than the ZL1.

If I were to use it for the occasional road course events, I would get the SVT package. I believe the car needs it to chase a ZL1 in roads with turns. There is a misconception that you need the SVT performance package AND the track package to roadcourse.

If I were to use it for more than the occasional roadcourse runs, I would add the track package as well.

I really like that Ford has done it this way. Giving the customer the options to be excellent at each venue or all, as they choose.

Exactly this.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #1609
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Chevrolet has responded well already with similar numbers using less hp

Brought a knife to a gun fight...
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #1610
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Murrocket View Post
- I don't want you to regret your purchase. ANd I am not knocking your car at all. All I'm saying that the Shelby is not "just" a straight line performer any longer. Though I would not mind one bit if it was with its stock numbers and top speed what they are. I think you are really going to be surprised by its road coarse manners...
I think it is entriely possible that you may be correct. Until some same day, same track, same drivers both cars event happens all this talk is just that. I am really looking forward to seeing this done with somebody like Randy Pobst being the driver. I would expect the Shelby to perform very well. Ford knows the game pretty well and I'm pretty sure this will be a very tightly contested battle. All I am saying is the straight line numbers mean little, and most of the Shelby guys seem to hang their hat on them.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote