Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Oh I agree, I'm not worried about anything that Ford is releasing, I actually think they are trying so hard to call GM's bluff that its going to blow up in their face once the 6th gen is released. And Id be money we get a ss with track package or 1le whatever they want to call it at launch, with a zl1_equivalent not far behind. I can't wait to see how this all plays out
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #16
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So to be clear, the GT350 isn't even available until next fall. Ford needed something to go along with the Mustang to go, "see we have a track car too". And by all we can determine from content, it will likely be short of the Z/28 simply for tires and brakes. So to beat the Z/28 will require this "R" package which supposedly does get the CC brakes. Kudos as Ford will likely undercut the Z/28 in price, but not likely the 1LE simply for the cost of the engine.

GT? No big deal here unless Ford can get the price under $100,000, then it something. And again as there are no spy shots of cars running around Ford is either keeping it the biggest secret of all time or it's at least 2 years out.

Raptor? Not my cup of tea. And hopefully they fix the bendable frame. Likely this is simply the aluminum F150 set up for Raptor. The lower weight could be nice, but to do the off road thing will likely just add weight back in. Maybe they give it the GT350 engine???? This is probably the closest to production even likely ahead of the GT350.

So I'm not concerned. I'm more worried about an LT2 powered competitor to the GT350 and 350R. I'm not worried about the Gen6 SS vs. Mustang GT nor am I worried about the LT4 powered Gen 6 ZL1. Covered on both accounts. Just wondering if GM has a NA counterpunch to the GT350...................which will likely launch just after the GT350 LOL
I agree. The 6th gen SS and ZL1 will be great unless GM seriously drops the ball. I'm interested in seeing how GM will replace the Z/28. With the Z06 going supercharged, either they develop a stand alone engine, like the LF4 in the ATS-V, or there is another Corvette coming in the near future that will have a high performance N/A engine.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #17
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
GM has all the "Cred", to use a term from this generation, when it comes to having an expansive performance car repertoire by any American auto manufacturer. I do not have a worry in the world about a performance group that has in the past and in the coming near future been responsible with putting out the 1LE, Z/28, ZL1, Z51, Z06, ZR1, ATS-V,CTS-V Sport, and CTS-V just to remind all the naysayers.

I would be honored to have any one of these fine performance cars as my own, thats why I bought a ZL1 and it will not be my last GM purchase if they continue to improve on each gen model as they have demonstrated so far. GM is in my opinion the performance leader with engineers and developers who know what true total performance is all about.

I fell in love with BMW's back in the '80's because of they're understanding of driving dynamics and performance but I must say GM has finally in the last decade with thanks to Bob Lutz and crew, been able to develop and offer some of the most desirable cars on the market today. GM has always had the talent in house but they were hampered by bean counters and other higher ups that did not understand that passion and lustful want is what drives us to spend our hard earned money which in turn drives car sales. See Camaro as example numero uno.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 12-01-2014 at 11:42 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #18
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Or...Ford is being a leader. Look at Fords Flat Plane Crank design...GM doesnt have one. Ford is leading the way right now and they are first to market with an updated performance vehicle, and this will give Ford an edge in market share IMO. GM needs to bring it big with the 6th gen.
You could look at it that way. The Mustang camp is a talented bunch of engineers but I can't help but see all sorts of ways GM influenced the latest Mustang. In appearance, the Mustang has some pretty predominant rear hips not really seen in a Mustang and the GT350 magnetic suspension to just name a couple things. The 5th gen has outsold the Mustang every year the 5th gen was out, and further the 1LE, ZL1 and Z28 did some schooling on the Mustang. So you can bet your ass the late 5th gens influenced how the current Mustang models are shaping up.

I think GM will absolutely nail the 6th gen. They got the late 5th gens so good with a heavy chassis that was originally never designed to accommodate a coupe. Now they have a fantastic chassis in Alpha to fully exploit that was designed with the Camaro in mind....I think Ford better watch out. Seeing what GM could accomplish with the 5th gen, I am pretty excited to see what is done with the new one.

Last edited by 94turbolsx; 12-01-2014 at 11:47 PM.
94turbolsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #19
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Thanks. This is what i was hoping for.. Valid points from all of you.

Seeing how much Ford is coming out with at the moment could be actions of desparation. And needing a gt350r to keep up with the z28 will be a major fail for Ford IF it is not released immediately. And even if it is, GM will still have the upper hand being that the z28 is old and outgoing production.

Also, while a flat plane crank v8 is cool, it is not necessarily superior to a crossplane crank.
The FPC 5.2 is rumoured to be +500hp and 400ftlbs with a confirmed 8200rpm redline. I must say im impressed with the engine. And it will sound like nothing else on this planet. But 400ft lbs is not much in a +3600lbs car. That gt350 will be screamin up and down everywhere, like ferraris, to keep up with a camaro. That might be fun. But only if reliability will not be an issue.
Being that ferrari never went this big in a flat plane crank v8, im thinking Ford either invented the wheel or designed an engine that will shake itself to death at 50.000 miles. It will be very exiting to see how it will fare.

Great times to be a car nut!! Please blow my mind GM. 3600lbs stripper camaro with a lt1 v8. I'd probably get a second job to get my hands on that;-)
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #20
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
I hear where you are coming from on this Autonaut - I have only owned Camaro's since I was 16, and can't even really imagine buying a Mustang. BUT - my loyalty won't exceed my desire for the best product available for my money. If the 6th Gen is a big miss, it will be awfully tempting to look elsewhere given what I've seen....
Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Someone needs to take a chill pill> Geez
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So to be clear, the GT350 isn't even available until next fall. Ford needed something to go along with the Mustang to go, "see we have a track car too". And by all we can determine from content, it will likely be short of the Z/28 simply for tires and brakes. So to beat the Z/28 will require this "R" package which supposedly does get the CC brakes. Kudos as Ford will likely undercut the Z/28 in price, but not likely the 1LE simply for the cost of the engine.

GT? No big deal here unless Ford can get the price under $100,000, then it something. And again as there are no spy shots of cars running around Ford is either keeping it the biggest secret of all time or it's at least 2 years out.

Raptor? Not my cup of tea. And hopefully they fix the bendable frame. Likely this is simply the aluminum F150 set up for Raptor. The lower weight could be nice, but to do the off road thing will likely just add weight back in. Maybe they give it the GT350 engine???? This is probably the closest to production even likely ahead of the GT350.

So I'm not concerned. I'm more worried about an LT2 powered competitor to the GT350 and 350R. I'm not worried about the Gen6 SS vs. Mustang GT nor am I worried about the LT4 powered Gen 6 ZL1. Covered on both accounts. Just wondering if GM has a NA counterpunch to the GT350...................which will likely launch just after the GT350 LOL
...and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
.... I do not have a worry in the world about a performance group that has in the past and in the coming near future been responsible with putting out the 1LE, Z/28, ZL1, Z51, Z06, ZR1, ATS-V,CTS-V Sport, and CTS-V just to remind all the naysayers.

and that. lol

Sure, Ford may have some exciting sport products coming, or they may not. Its not like GM is sitting around with their thumb up their butt. In the last year or two they have released some pretty great performing products (new Vette, Z/28) and just released/announce more (Z06/ATS-V) with more coming soon (new Camaro, CTS-V). So don't be blind just because Ford has some cool stuff coming. So does GM.

Yeah, it would be nice if Chevrolet would tease us with something when it comes to the next Camaro....but they don't have to do anything. I'm hoping we'll know a lot more (reveal?) in a few months.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Or...Ford is being a leader. Look at Fords Flat Plane Crank design...GM doesnt have one. Ford is leading the way right now and they are first to market with an updated performance vehicle, and this will give Ford an edge in market share IMO. GM needs to bring it big with the 6th gen.

Personally, I'm not liking the new stang design except gt350 is much nicer and we'll see how it performs, but flat planes are used in super cars, so if they did it right...expect a beast that will draw buyers in the high performance market.

I'm confident Gm will put out a stellar vehicle, but they need to not wait for the sake of waiting vis-a-vis releasing high performance variants....just my 2 cents.
Keep in mind that Mustang is a 2015 MY, and was released last year. Now, they are starting to buzz about the GT350 due out, what next fall?

The Camaro is a new generation slotted for 2016, and probably won't start rolling down the line until June or July of 2015. Heck, they probably haven't completely finalized a good portion of the car yet.

While the Mustang is a nice car, if you think about it, what Ford has finally done is make a car that competes well with the outgoing Camaro. So, we'll see what GM has up their sleeve in Jan. But this little fued has been going on since the late sixtie's.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Keep in mind that Mustang is a 2015 MY, and was released last year. Now, they are starting to buzz about the GT350 due out, what next fall?

The Camaro is a new generation slotted for 2016, and probably won't start rolling down the line until June or July of 2015. Heck, they probably haven't completely finalized a good portion of the car yet.

While the Mustang is a nice car, if you think about it, what Ford has finally done is make a car that competes well with the outgoing Camaro. So, we'll see what GM has up their sleeve in Jan. But this little fued has been going on since the late sixtie's.
I disagree with your last point about competing with the outgoing Camaro, I mean Ford isn't stupid, they know GM is coming with a new product, so i'm sure they wouldn't be shooting for a 1 or 2 year lead in the category. I don't think Ford is looking at GM to lead the way and react in kind, I think Ford, whether they succeed or not, is looking to lead in this category - time will tell - my vote as of now is with GM though.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
I hear where you are coming from on this Autonaut - I have only owned Camaro's since I was 16, and can't even really imagine buying a Mustang. BUT - my loyalty won't exceed my desire for the best product available for my money. If the 6th Gen is a big miss, it will be awfully tempting to look elsewhere given what I've seen....

MAN!!! Ive been waiting what feels like forever to be approved, mostly so I can comment on this statement. I am the EXACT same way. 3 Vettes. 6 Fbodies.....and now I drive a GT500. It was REALLY hard to switch. That whole 'Allegiance' thing. I still fire back with "Its not a Mustang. Show me a Pony anywhere on that car" when people who know me jaws hit the floor that Im not driving a GM car.
The moral being, that I REALLY hope they do this next generation right. I bought this GT500 a few months ago because, as you stated, Mako22, "my loyalty wont exceed my desire for the best product available for my money." I look out for MY best interest. Not GMs. Not Fords.
Im hoping that GM pulls out the big guns and once again is the 'best product available for my money'. Like in the 4th Gen era. I am really missing my roots right now.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #25
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I think the OP is just saying it would be nice for GM to reveal some details in the interest of...interest

We all know by being the late comer, you will be able to obviously out do the current competition.

I think in terms of performance we have nothing to worry about. GM has always done right by that in regards to the Camaro.

I can't wait for some more pics
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #26
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I'm just as anxious as everyone. But there is nothing we can do about it. It's beyond our control. I use to check this section everyday like an addict.. Now I just check 1-2 times a week... We will get all the details when they want us to

Last edited by sonnydurden; 12-03-2014 at 03:08 PM.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #27
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I think the OP is just saying it would be nice for GM to reveal some details in the interest of...interest

We all know by being the late comer, you will be able to obviously out do the current competition.

I think in terms of performance we have nothing to worry about. GM has always done right by that in regards to the Camaro.

I can't wait for some more pics
Correct. Also im just really really anxious to find out more about the camaro.. Im an adult. Yet when it comes to the new camaro i turn into a child. Annoying as hell not to really know anything other than platform and an "evolutionary" design:-)

You guys help me get back back down to earth.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #28
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
Correct. Also im just really really anxious to find out more about the camaro.. Im an adult. Yet when it comes to the new camaro i turn into a child. Annoying as hell not to really know anything other than platform and an "evolutionary" design:-)

You guys help me get back back down to earth.
haha comes with being a Car nut!!

Well look at the refresh, we found out about it days before I believe.
With the rash of pics we had on the prototypes, I'm sure we will be seeing some more in a few weeks.

Cold weather testing anyone?
Where are they building these? I know that production is moving, so does that mean these Prototypes are being built there or in Oshawa? Because i live an hour away from Oshawa....

This brings back memories of the 5th gen development
Cant wait til the CTF cars are rolling around but thats obviously after the reveal.

I think this Camaro is going to be a real head turner
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote