Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
L28

Drives: Hyundai Elantra
Really curious to see how the new Camaro will compare

I'm pretty interested in seeing how the new Alpha Camaro will perform against the Mustang. With the weight reduction and platform changes I'm unsure that the Camaro will retain its status as a sticky track beast. If they decide to use the LT1 from the Stingray, we are also seeing a large boost in n/a Hp and Tq. I feel that there is a high chance that they will release the LT1 in the Camaro so that it will still be able to compete in the current muscle car market whilst they perfect any upcoming hi-performance variants of the car. But back to the original topic: Did the Camaro really need such a radical change when it is already continuing beating the new generation of Mustang with its old models?
L28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by L28 View Post
I'm pretty interested in seeing how the new Alpha Camaro will perform against the Mustang. With the weight reduction and platform changes I'm unsure that the Camaro will retain its status as a sticky track beast. If they decide to use the LT1 from the Stingray, we are also seeing a large boost in n/a Hp and Tq. I feel that there is a high chance that they will release the LT1 in the Camaro so that it will still be able to compete in the current muscle car market whilst they perfect any upcoming hi-performance variants of the car. But back to the original topic: Did the Camaro really need such a radical change when it is already continuing beating the new generation of Mustang with its old models?
Yes...it is time for a change. That, coming from someone who still think the 5th gen looks freakin awesome and better than the new Mustang base and GT models.

If you have read anything about the alpha chassis, then you know it gets high praise for being a fun to drive car with great handling. Once we get to see how well the ATS-V handles at the track, it will give an even better idea of how a high performance variant of the Alpha chassis performs on the track. I don't see any reason why the next gen shouldn't outperform the current Camaro on the Zeta chassis.

We may not see a 6th ge, that will match the Z/28 on the track for some time, but I have no doubt the Alpha chassis, with the same amount of development and testing as the Z/28, could be just as good or better. But in terms of the base, and SS variants, I think they will prove to be a better driver's car, and just as "sticky" or more-so.

The LT1 is almost a certain, and will only add to the car's greatness. LT1 + 8 speed auto = awesome.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
L28

Drives: Hyundai Elantra
From what I've seen in the Nurburing videos, the car seems to stick and not sway much on the turns. Though, it does seem to skid slightly more on the faster turns. If there is an LT1 in the next gen SS, I am sold for sure. I wasn't sure if I wanted a Stingray or Camaro, but this one has me sold. Hopefully, it can keep up with our 2014 1LE, though.
L28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
It will perform better than both the 5th gen camaro and the 6th gen mustang.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
I think the new Camaro is going to set a new benchmark. It should blow away the new Mustang.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote