Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #71
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
I won't dispute that your old 455 has a better torque curve, but remember that the 510 ft lb rating was gross, and the 426 ft lb is net. In reality they're about the same. That said, I wish our cars made it lower down like the old big blocks did.

3.91:1 gear will help me forget the rpm difference, I bet
Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #72
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Tapping two times puts it in Comp mode, one time turns off T/C, press and hold for 5-7 seconds turns all off. Comp mode just reduces T/C and Stabilitrack end engages launch control.
This is a very good point. I too sometimes say I turn them "off" but in reality, 95 times out of 100, I have really put it in Comp mode. Thanks for the reminder
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #73
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
So consider this . . . assuming that your TC really is that effective (not all of them are, trust me, as mine is utterly worthless), [snip]
Another good point. Today, with nothing turned off, meaning full nannies in effect (even I don't always turn them off), I got rubber in first and second gear. Not a tire chirp, I mean patches on pavement. Temp outside was 55*F
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #74
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
3.91:1 gear will help me forget the rpm difference, I bet
Yes, I have been daydreaming a lot about 3.91's recently
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #75
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
This is a very good point. I too sometimes say I turn them "off" but in reality, 95 times out of 100, I have really put it in Comp mode. Thanks for the reminder
do you like comp mode? ive never tried it, always held down the button for 5-7 sec

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #76
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Holy s**t man, I stand to be corrected AND you taught me something new about my own car lol. Much appreciated. Not too big a man to say I was wrong :-/
Even the l99 guy knew this.....
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #77
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
I have no idea how the 2010-2014 Camaro SC/TC acts.

But here's some info from the 2002 Active Handling Z06.

We always ran with TC off when drag racing (duh).

But we experimented with having the TC off and AH (stability control) on.

We ran it both ways. ET's were not affected at all. It never kicks on unless you hit oil or water, then it forces the car to go straight down the track.

I watched a LOT of Vipers, Fbodies, Mustangs, Vettes go into the wall at various dragstrips across the US.

Our advice has always been, Stability Control On. Traction Control off. Even if you're a Pro. Both wifey and I are NHRA SuperGas licensed. And (knock on wood) even when things went really crazy, we never tagged the wall or crossed the line. Thousands of passes in cars, trucks, bikes between the two of us, in all conditions.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #78
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
So consider this . . . assuming that your TC really is that effective (not all of them are, trust me, as mine is utterly worthless), it will also prevent you from discovering in the most benign manner just how slippery the going is. Wouldn't you rather get a little unexpected wheelspin when you start up from a complete stop than suddenly find yourself unable to get stopped in time or make a corner without leaving your lane (or the pavement entirely)? There won't always be enough grip available for the nannies to take much advantage of (especially important for you 1LE and ZL1 drivers on G:2 Goodyears).

Yes, that assumes you are paying attention to conditions as you drive, and that you adjust your driving accordingly. One of the reasons we have these nannies is because far to many people aren't even in the same time zone with respect to those skills.

The argument that 1960's cars didn't have the same performance as today's - implying that the risk was inherently lower - is only about half right. Suspension and tire technologies were both far below today's rock-bottom minimum standards, so your ability to cope with a sudden situation or even just a little too much carelessness was not nearly as good. I can remember from before more than a handful of cars could exceed 0.7 lateral g's on the skidpad. Today, nothing corners below that level unless the cornering g's are electronically limited via stability or rollover control logic.

The assumption that a human driver cannot make accurate enough corrections soon enough . . . well I guess that depends on circumstances.

Those of us with lots longer experience before nannies may well be better equipped to drive without them. Our reflexes may be a few milliseconds slower than a 20-something's, but I'm willing to bet that they're a lot more likely to be the right ones, in closer to the right amounts, and we might be just a bit less surprised when a mild spin in one direction suddenly snaps in the other direction right after you've caught the first direction.

Norm

Maybe being the tech field has allowed me to welcome in more technology to improve my life. I've been alive enough to have driven cars to the limit that did not have any tech controls to keep me inline and I've driven those with them. I hardly get to a point in daily driving where my TC is active in either of my 2 current cars with it.

Just because the nannies are on, doesn't mean that you have no feel for what its like outside. Just like without them, you get a sense for what your car is telling you and adjust. Part of being an expert driver is being able to react to what your car is telling you (TC is part of your car ). I live in Florida, it rains daily here during the summer, I've been around the block a few times never with an issue. I agree that people think tech will completely save them and drive like maniacs even in the worst adverse weather, I don't think this is a cause of technology in cars to make us SAFE but rather people's own thought processes and not taking driving seriously. Till we have cars that drive themselves, the human's ability to react to what the car is doing is still the most important thing and ironically going to be the most flawed part of it.

Like I said early, you need to know how to drive with them and without them (tech fails, I'll be the first to admit it).
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #79
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post

Maybe being the tech field has allowed me to welcome in more technology to improve my life. I've been alive enough to have driven cars to the limit that did not have any tech controls to keep me inline and I've driven those with them. I hardly get to a point in daily driving where my TC is active in either of my 2 current cars with it.
Down where you live, you should be able to drive in a manner that gets TC interested in the proceedings only rarely. But up here in the Northeast when winters bring snow, slush, and ice, a little wheelspin (or any other situation involving loss of tire grip) can come much more easily. My take is that experiencing any difficulty in getting the car to move off a full stop is better than realizing that tire grip sucks only after you're up to speed when the consequences of driver errors have become much more serious . . . and discover only then that you can't stop or steer very well.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #80
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
Your Mom told you to turn off the Nannies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #81
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Down where you live, you should be able to drive in a manner that gets TC interested in the proceedings only rarely. But up here in the Northeast when winters bring snow, slush, and ice, a little wheelspin (or any other situation involving loss of tire grip) can come much more easily. My take is that experiencing any difficulty in getting the car to move off a full stop is better than realizing that tire grip sucks only after you're up to speed when the consequences of driver errors have become much more serious . . . and discover only then that you can't stop or steer very well.

Norm
Bought my Camaro in November. When I was first in heavy snow, having stopped in a parking, I went to accelerate and I couldn't figure out where all my power went. I realized the TC was on. I turned it off, got going, then I turned it back on once I was moving down the highway. I learned to drive on a 1979 Trans Am, where the tires would break free of someone spit on the ground at a traffic light. That is the car with which I learned to drive in the snow, so the TC totally threw me off.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #82
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Telling someone who might not be experienced without the nannies off to turn them off, might get them in a wreck. Just because YOU can drive without them and were taught to doesn't mean everyone was.

Plus you PAID for it to do that job, why disable it? If it prevents me from a wreck by helping me regain traction faster than I could, why not let it? It hasn't turned on or cost anyone their lives, why not just have it on when you're driving down the road? When your on the track or having fun by all means turn them off, not saying leave them on all the time.
UnFortunately they don't give us options or I would've not had it and many other things not put on my car.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #83
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
do you like comp mode? ive never tried it, always held down the button for 5-7 sec
I don't find a huge difference, but then again, I do not drive at 9/10ths. The car behaves the way I expect it to in Comp, no surprises
Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #84
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
I thought what you just described is SC, not TC. Also if you're turning left from an intersection and would spin the car around without TC/SC you're doing it wrong...slow the hell down..
Go from a stopped posistion turn left and floor it I gurantee you cant spin your car around. Unless you peel off from the light.