Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #15
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
91 is max here in so Cal. and I only use Chevron
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #16
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
I used to love that BP 93 octane back east.
My engines would come to life with it.

But that was around 300-500 ft above sea level.

Now I live at 4500 plus, and high 93 isnt as important up here except to yodelers.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #17
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Thankfully in NY most stations sell 93. But I have had pretty good luck with that race gas concentrate stuff bringing my number up a little bit if I planned on banging on it. I think one of the powerblock shows did a thing on it (maybe the Horsepower show).
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:43 AM   #18
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
Thankfully in NY most stations sell 93. But I have had pretty good luck with that race gas concentrate stuff bringing my number up a little bit if I planned on banging on it. I think one of the powerblock shows did a thing on it (maybe the Horsepower show).
I hope you're not talking about Torco or similar:

Mixing it up with real race gas might serve you better in the long run, if high octane is the goal.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #19
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I hope you're not talking about Torco or similar:

Mixing it up with real race gas might serve you better in the long run, if high octane is the goal.
What's wrong with Torco?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #20
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
What's wrong with Torco?
The main ingredient, MMT, which is what many such products use, is an excellent octane booster, yet it does not completely burn, and leaves residue, covering everything as can be seen in the picture. So, you can use it once in a blue moon, but continued use will ruin your engine. At the end of the day, not using anything is usually the best thing to do
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #21
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
What's wrong with Torco?
Do the heads in that picture look like theres nothing wrong with them to you??

Mixing with real race gas is the way to go if you want/need an octane boost. I do it cause it helps give me more cushion when spraying.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 AM   #22
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
Do the heads in that picture look like theres nothing wrong with them to you??

Mixing with real race gas is the way to go if you want/need an octane boost. I do it cause it helps give me more cushion when spraying.
Oh you mean the picture I can't see because I'm on my work computer and the server blocks certain types of files from being seen such as the picture X25 posted?

There are a lot of people that have been using Torco with every other fill up or one 32oz can for 5 gallons of gas for years now ranging from Hondas to STIs to Mustangs to GTRs. I haven't read any negative reviews other than MMT build up. What's the difference between MMT build up vs normal carbon build up? In that picture, how long and how often was that person running a MMT based octane booster? No arguing or trying to start one but I think these are legit questions. I've added Torco on several occasions (about every other tank) and I know when I add it my knock retard drops severely compared to 93 octane alone. I'm asking because I am on my last bottle and I don't want to spend another 90-100 bucks on another 6 cans if it really is that detrimental to my engine.

EDIT: Saw the picture from my phone.

Ted Jannetty has backed Torco in previous threads. Matt @ FSP has backed Torco race fuel concentrate as well. Torco race fuel concentrate is orange to start with, is that a correlation with the MMT that's in the product? Boostane also has a orange hue. I mean, Ted and Matt are pretty big name tuners that have backed and recommended Torco at some point in time, not sure if they still do to this second but that has to speak a little about the product right?

Joseph, what kind of race fuel do you buy?

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 01-27-2016 at 03:10 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
I wasn't talking about torco. I was talking about the stuff that is actually an additive called race gas. I don't know what the policy is for things like this, but here's the website. http://race-gas.com
I'm not affiliated with them at all, just an easy way to bump some octane.
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #24
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
I wasn't talking about torco. I was talking about the stuff that is actually an additive called race gas. I don't know what the policy is for things like this, but here's the website. http://race-gas.com
I'm not affiliated with them at all, just an easy way to bump some octane.
Seems to be just about the same. Race fuel and Torco are both a race fuel concentrate. Pull a spark plug see if it has an orange hue.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #25
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I had one, practically brand new, primary O2 sensor fail on me(I think I may have even posted a thread about this asking you guys why).

After some reflectin', it occurred to me that the only thing that had changed in Sledge's regimen that week, was that I had added two entire bottles of Torco in the tank.

The O2 sensor failed the following week, as the tank was approaching 1/4 empty.

Now I dismissed this as coincidence, but now X25 is making me go hmmmmmmmm �� again.

FWIW, over the course of the last 10 or so years, I too have come across quite a bit of negative feedback on MMT, but never really followed up, and investigated the case.

Maybe it's time for a new episode of MythBusters vs MMT, lol.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #26
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I had one, practically brand new, primary O2 sensor fail on me(I think I may have even posted a thread about this asking you guys why).

After some reflectin', it occurred to me that the only thing that had changed in Sledge's regimen that week, was that I had added two entire bottles of Torco in the tank.

The O2 sensor failed the following week, as the tank was approaching 1/4 empty.

Now I dismissed this as coincidence, but now X25 is making me go hmmmmmmmm �� again.

FWIW, over the course of the last 10 or so years, I too have come across quite a bit of negative feedback on MMT, but never really followed up, and investigated the case.

Maybe it's time for a new episode of MythBusters vs MMT, lol.
Two bottles may have been excessive. Torco and other octane booster says they don't harm O2 sensors or clog cats but who really knows......

When I add torco I run the tank almost to empty then fill up with 93 when run that down to about 1/4.

What I would like to know going back to this thread, is and not completely jacking it, wonder what the benefit (performance wise) of 91 ethanol free vs standard 93 pump gas.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #27
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
You aint jackin it. I am enjoying the tidbits added.

We dont have 93 pump gas at this altitude, primarily as the occurance of predetonation is alot less likely.

But when I lived in the lowlands back east, my vehicles demonstrated a noticable livelihood in the engine on 93 compared to 91 midgrade. I was often told that no, this wasnt true. But my vehicles begged to differ.

Which as someone noted, knocking pushes your fuel map down. So maybe 91 "premium" up here at 4500ft above sea level is goodenuff.

So wonder if 88 ethenol free will also be knock free. Our low grade up here is 85 with mid grade typically around 87 to 89.