Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
LoganX38

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Best Cam+Headers combo for 2013 ss-l99?

The only thing I have done to the car currently is a K&N CAI and Borla ATAK exhaust. I'm looking for a loud deep rumble. I obviously want the power with it too but the main reason I want these items is for the sound. So what kind of gains and sounds could I get with some different combo's? and what tunes would I possibly need? And Would it be worth voiding my warranty to do? I love my car and I got it to do stuff to it, not to just wait for the warranty to expire so I can modify it.

Last edited by LoganX38; 07-30-2016 at 09:44 PM.
LoganX38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:42 AM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
So this has been asked a zillion times. Do a search on the forums and then do some searches on Youtube. You could search for 'Camaro SS cam' 'Camaro SS headers' 'L99 cam' 'L99 exhaust', and so on and so on...

Yes you'll need a tune, why wouldn't you? If you want your warranty then it's not worth doing, if you don't care about it, why are you asking? :P
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
LoganX38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
So this has been asked a zillion times. Do a search on the forums and then do some searches on Youtube. You could search for 'Camaro SS cam' 'Camaro SS headers' 'L99 cam' 'L99 exhaust', and so on and so on...

Yes you'll need a tune, why wouldn't you? If you want your warranty then it's not worth doing, if you don't care about it, why are you asking? :P
I research it on here and YouTube all of the time. Mostly all I see is night fury cam and kooks LT headers. Which that'll be most likely what I get. I was just seeing if there were some other options out there that I haven't seen on here or YouTube yet.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Check out the V8 bolt ons section some good info there http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11 . It seems keeping VVT is the way to go performance wise on the L99 but my car is stock except for the tune so I don't know much about this.

I assume your car would sound rather crappy at times when in 4 cylinder mode right now unless you were using a Range to disable AFM? The 4 cylinder mode usually sounds bad with even stock exhaust let alone a Borla...

You might need a higher stall with a cam but not sure on that one either.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
GPI ss3 if you don't want to flycut and choose any header pretty muvh
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
LoganX38

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Check out the V8 bolt ons section some good info there http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11 . It seems keeping VVT is the way to go performance wise on the L99 but my car is stock except for the tune so I don't know much about this.

I assume your car would sound rather crappy at times when in 4 cylinder mode right now unless you were using a Range to disable AFM? The 4 cylinder mode usually sounds bad with even stock exhaust let alone a Borla...

You might need a higher stall with a cam but not sure on that one either.
It actually doesn't sound bad in 4 cylinder mode! It is obviously not as loud but it isn't bad at all! And thanks, I will check it out.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
LoganX38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
GPI ss3 if you don't want to flycut and choose any header pretty muvh
Thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganX38 View Post
It actually doesn't sound bad in 4 cylinder mode! It is obviously not as loud but it isn't bad at all! And thanks, I will check it out.
Probably due to you having a quality catback I've read of some folks who had drone issues etc. with the AFM enabled. The warranty thing is a personal decision I know I wrestled with that but decided to tune and am glad I did as it really changed the car for the better.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
LoganX38

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Probably due to you having a quality catback I've read of some folks who had drone issues etc. with the AFM enabled. The warranty thing is a personal decision I know I wrestled with that but decided to tune and am glad I did as it really changed the car for the better.
Yeah I would really like to have a tune on my car even if I don't get anything else done to it
Old 07-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Mine is completely torn apart because the afm lifter failed, so if i had to go back in time i would get the AFM lifters out of the car as soon as possible. I am waiting on headers to re assemble it. I installed a Brian Tooley Stage 2 VVT cam, it is as large as I can go without a stall upgrade.

(it was tuned out but the weak lifters where still there)

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
OP, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I run the Range Device, and it's worth every penny. I have the same mods as you at this point. I'm waiting for the warranty to expire, then I'll go cam & lifters with a tune. I don't see forced induction in my future as its a sunny weekend car for us. Good luck!
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
For a L99, the advantage over a LS3 is the VVT. Don't toss the baby out with the bath water. Loose the AFM. Keep VVT.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Are the lifters still a factor when you do the LS9 lifter upgrade? Are the lifters still... functioning?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Mine is completely torn apart because the afm lifter failed, so if i had to go back in time i would get the AFM lifters out of the car as soon as possible. I am waiting on headers to re assemble it. I installed a Brian Tooley Stage 2 VVT cam, it is as large as I can go without a stall upgrade.

(it was tuned out but the weak lifters where still there)
Did you install the cam while the AFM lifters were still in the car or did your lifters fail and then decided to upgrade cam and headers? Sorry I'm just not sure when I read your post.