Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Anthony982149

Drives: Chevy Cobalt
Any annoying camaro problems?

I see this forum is full of problems that the camaro has which is kinda understandable. That's going to be pretty much any car.

Right now I drive a Chevy Cobalt and when you apply the breaks on it at a speed of about 45+ miles per hour the steering wheel will shake and it's really annoying and feels cheaply made.

I've wanted a chevy camaro for a long time now but I would like to know is there any annoying problems with it like I just mention with the chevy cobalt?

I don't want to spend all this money for a new car and the steering wheel shakes or something in the car rattles. I would just like a good smooth pretty well built ride.
Anthony982149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
chris jd
chris jd

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT w/ RS - 6 Speed
Camaro cons:
Little room for rear seat passengers
Cheap exterior paint
Small trunk opening/trunk
Poor visibility
Somewhat cheap interior
Mirrors do not fold
Needs winter tires for temperatures below 45 degrees for sure or a different vehicle

With that said, it is an amazing vehicle. You lose some luxuries with this vehicle, even on the higher end models because this car prioritizes the driving experience as well as an aggressively stylish look. When you step on the gas pedal, you quickly forget about a lot of the small issues. And don't worry, people will take notice when they see a nice Camaro roll by. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
My 5th Gen Camaro has earned the title of the worst piece of junk I have ever owned. It took the title from the 1988 IROC Z that I purchased new.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Pretty much what Chris said... i love mine and don't regret a thing about it.

As for your cobalt the rotors are warped. Get a brake job and new rotors. No problems after that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jd View Post
Camaro cons:
Little room for rear seat passengers
Cheap exterior paint
Small trunk opening/trunk
Poor visibility
Somewhat cheap interior
Mirrors do not fold
Needs winter tires for temperatures below 45 degrees for sure or a different vehicle

With that said, it is an amazing vehicle. You lose some luxuries with this vehicle, even on the higher end models because this car prioritizes the driving experience as well as an aggressively stylish look. When you step on the gas pedal, you quickly forget about a lot of the small issues. And don't worry, people will take notice when they see a nice Camaro roll by. Hope this helps.
While I can rationalize all of these as potential complaints, I also want to point out that each one has some explanation to temper the blow. I've seen a lot of these many times, and most of them can be pretty easy to explain. Please don't take my criticism as hostility.

Rear seat room—yes, it's small. You aren't considering coupes for your passengers' comfort.

Cheap exterior paint—no, it isn't cheap. The aerodynamics of the car (flat front, hourglass-shaped sides) leads to rock chips. You could paint this car with concrete and still get wear and tear in the same areas.

Small trunk opening—yes, it's small. While I may be in the habit of debunking other complaints, this one is a fact.

Poor visibility—try angling your side mirrors past your "hips" in the future. Most drivers look at the rear of their car with their sideview mirrors, and that increases the size of an already sizable blind spot on the Camaro. You don't need more vertical visibility since you're not driving into the sky, so just focus on what's around you. The rearview mirror covers the entire rear window, and who cares what's happening behind you? You're driving forward!

Somewhat cheap interior—I strongly disagree. The design is unique and classic. The materials are inline with the price of the car. If you want a leather-wrapped interior double or triple the price of your Camaro, and expect a Camaro to still be faster than you.

Fixed mirrors—yes, they don't fold. The bigger problem here is that your doors are huge. Be careful parking regardless.

Summer tires necessitate winter tires—as with any car with a performance marque, expect to buy proper tires in the winter or expect your driving experience to be very different and potentially dangerous in cold weather.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
chris jd
chris jd

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT w/ RS - 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
While I can rationalize all of these as potential complaints, I also want to point out that each one has some explanation to temper the blow. I've seen a lot of these many times, and most of them can be pretty easy to explain. Please don't take my criticism as hostility.

Rear seat room—yes, it's small. You aren't considering coupes for your passengers' comfort.

Cheap exterior paint—no, it isn't cheap. The aerodynamics of the car (flat front, hourglass-shaped sides) leads to rock chips. You could paint this car with concrete and still get wear and tear in the same areas.

Small trunk opening—yes, it's small. While I may be in the habit of debunking other complaints, this one is a fact.

Poor visibility—try angling your side mirrors past your "hips" in the future. Most drivers look at the rear of their car with their sideview mirrors, and that increases the size of an already sizable blind spot on the Camaro. You don't need more vertical visibility since you're not driving into the sky, so just focus on what's around you. The rearview mirror covers the entire rear window, and who cares what's happening behind you? You're driving forward!

Somewhat cheap interior—I strongly disagree. The design is unique and classic. The materials are inline with the price of the car. If you want a leather-wrapped interior double or triple the price of your Camaro, and expect a Camaro to still be faster than you.

Fixed mirrors—yes, they don't fold. The bigger problem here is that your doors are huge. Be careful parking regardless.

Summer tires necessitate winter tires—as with any car with a performance marque, expect to buy proper tires in the winter or expect your driving experience to be very different and potentially dangerous in cold weather.
I agree with this. I don't mind the cons of the Camaro at all, I was just putting out what I, along with others have disliked. Every single car in the world has things it lacks/can improve on. I hope this thread helps to get the OP into a Camaro for sure
Old 01-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Anthony982149

Drives: Chevy Cobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Pretty much what Chris said... i love mine and don't regret a thing about it.

As for your cobalt the rotors are warped. Get a brake job and new rotors. No problems after that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I will definitely get that checked out this week and see if that is the problem.

I appreciate all the replies and help. I see myself buying a camaro sometime this year especially if I can get it for the right price.
Anthony982149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I don't get hate for the 5th gen. Then again, I skipped 4 years and went straight for the 2014 1LE. This car is unreal. Only problems i've had with it was that the heater froze one time, my drivers side mirror likes to whistle at 45mph, and the tranny isn't very user friendly. Other than that I love it. And i'm good with the interior, if you want to see something really bad look at the inside of a 13- dodge challenger/charger
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I went from a Cobalt to a '13 Camaro.

It was a real step up.

So much of a step up I bought a '14 after the '13.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
ImperialSScamaro
Im a noob

Drives: Black 2016 1SS
the only complaints i have is second gear grind and the paint job is weak
ImperialSScamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The opening is small, but the space is adequate. I play in a band and I have been able to fit 2 medium size guitar amps, guitars in soft cases as well as my other gear in the trunk at the same time. For a RWD car I think the trunks space is very good. I can also fit 2 large suitcases and a carryon in the trunk. I've had my car for over a year and the only time I had to fold the seat down is when I was transporting the front splitter to get it installed.

As for the viability issue, once you get used to it its not an issue. My car is my daily driver and while the tires break loose in the winter, it is mostly because of my heavy foot. Its an all around fun car, great looks, good gadgets, comfortable, and when treated like a 2 seater, pretty practical for my wife and me.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #12
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
My only complaint is the visibility at certain traffic signals you'll find out pretty quick which ones are set up in the wrong place or the white stop lines are close to the signal. Drive up ATMs are pretty much impossible to use unless you have a tiny head..
Old 01-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
my only complaint is those silly magnetic holders for the seatbelt.
back seat does fit a 5' woman with a 6' guy in the front seat - not for a trip over 1 hour though.
I found the trunk opening is adequate, can pack 2 large suitcases and enough other stuff in it for a 8 day cruise.

and I have a v6!
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
I must have been lucky. Mine is absolutely perfect in every respect. Things like "rear seat room" I don't consider as an issue since I knew that going in. It's almost like complaining, "I can't fit my kids in the back seat of my Corvette." It is what it is and nothing was hidden on purchase. I have many cars and have had many cars... Build quality in the past 15 or so years on vehicles has not excited me a lot, but I'm relatively impressed with the quality of everything on my Camaro.

Now, in all fairness, I don't put a lot of miles on it (I don't drive a lot since my office is attached to my home, plus I have many other choices to drive when I do go out), and I don't drive hard (had my rebellion days when I was younger, I tend to baby my stuff now more), and I do not intend to modify my motor any further than cosmetics and the CAI I added. I'm imagining this one will still be pristine 20 years from now, sitting beside my other cars, but as far as being full of problems... I have not found one.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote