#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Importing to New Zealand

Anyone ever import a Camaro to New Zealand? It seems like it's fairly common, but I haven't found any information regarding importing modded cars, specifically aftermarket exhausts & tunes. I have installed long-tube headers, high-flow cats, and a catback exhaust system, as well as a CAI intake and ported throttle body, then had it dyno-tuned accordingly. It meets the local emissions requirements here in Denver, but I don't know how they compare to New Zealand.

I know it will also need a left-hand drive exemption, which seems relatively straight forward for the year/make/model.

Only other thing I know needs to happen is that it will need to be fully detailed to prevent the spread of dust, pollen, and seeds from the US (because they have cooties).

Any insight would be appreciated. Please reply or PM if you prefer.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Why not just contact an agency in charge?

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/contact-us

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/war...certification/
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

I have. They haven't responded.

This is also a concern: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/war...-for-exhausts/

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 05-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #4
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Tell them their noise test is BS. Proof you say?

You are welcome.

http://gizmodo.com/5616427/sunchips-...amagingly-loud

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

lol, that's awesome!

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 05-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
insanity213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Bottom line is that you have to convert to right hand drive, which I'm guessing is next to impossible. There are special exemptions but I think the only one we'd ever have a chance at is waiting till the car is 20+ years old.

My wife is a kiwi and I looked into this a few years back when facing a layoff and contemplated moving to NZ.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/im...drive-vehicle/
insanity213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Yeah, I saw that. However, the Camaro does not have to be converted to RHD. It does meet the Category A requirements.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/12/

Here's a dealership that sells them:
http://www.4guys.co.nz/vehicles-coupe.html#/?type=Coupe

I did swap the exhaust back to stock just to be safe, although a decibel reading indicated that the car didn't exceed 90 with the Kooks (but it was really close).

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
calebdiack

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Hello,
I am looking at importing a Camaro from USA to NZ, How did you get on with the Left Hand Drive permit?
calebdiack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Actually waiting for approval on the permit now. Car has been in NZ since July.

I submitted my first application back in October, but it was rejected because I used the wrong form.
Here is the correct form:
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.n...LHD-permit.pdf

That caused a delay because I realized I needed permanent residency, which I didn't get until January. I resubmitted my application last week.

The "copy of the relevant article" declaring the "vehicle is identified as being a collector’s item in a commercially produced motoring publication" can be found in New Zealand Classic Car magazine, Issue 230, February 2010. I found a copy on Trade Me. If/when NZTA returns my copy, you're welcome to use it.

For the Declaration Witness, you have to go to an Entry Certifier-specific AA or VTNZ facility. You just need the completed forms, no need to bring the car...yet. Bring color photos of all the manufacturer's "plates" on the car, including the EPA plate under the hood and the ones inside the driver's door. I went to this one: https://vtnz.co.nz/branches/avondale/

Once the approval is granted (hopefully soon), Bee will need to be towed to that same certify center where he will sit for a couple of days while they do a full top-down inspection. I was told this even includes a certain level of disassembly (specifically around the brakes, suspension, exhaust, and to check for crash damage/repairs).

Bumblebee Racecar Build

Last edited by Dexman1349; 03-12-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #10
calebdiack

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Thanks for that! I have done a search and it appears I can buy that magazine online. Does the article refer to any gen 5 Camaro or just the 2010 model? I am still in the process of finding an SS Camaro to purchase. What proof did you submit for the vehicle must be manufactured as a high performance vehicle?
calebdiack is offline   Reply With Quote