Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Does switching to SS or 1LE struts/springs on a V6 raise ride height?

Simple question: The SS and 1LE have heavier engines than the V6 so will changing to SS or 1LE struts/springs raise the ride height over stock on a V6 and, if so, by how much?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
That's a terrific question. OEM's have varying springs for even the same model vehicles to account for varying options (e.g., GM has springs that differ in stiffness for a Camaro SS that is spec'd with a sunroof, manual trans, vs. one w/o a sunroof and an auto trans). So for sure the spring stiffness will be different from the SS to a V6, but it's tough to say by how much and my guess is that you will not visually notice a different in ride height. This is just my opinion and guess, but I don't have an experience to back it up.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
It didnt on mine
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
cliffdog89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
That's a terrific question. OEM's have varying springs for even the same model vehicles to account for varying options (e.g., GM has springs that differ in stiffness for a Camaro SS that is spec'd with a sunroof, manual trans, vs. one w/o a sunroof and an auto trans). So for sure the spring stiffness will be different from the SS to a V6, but it's tough to say by how much and my guess is that you will not visually notice a different in ride height. This is just my opinion and guess, but I don't have an experience to back it up.
I didn't realize they accounted for all of those options. Do you know where a list of stock spring rates can be found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
It didnt on mine
Which year SS or FE suspension did you uplevel to?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
derek1387

The 1LE suspension.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

Old 04-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
cliffdog89

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
The 1LE suspension.
Was the performance significantly approved over stock? How is the ride (my car is a DD)?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
derek1387

Incredible difference.

And mine is a DD as well. But i prefer a firm ride.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog89 View Post
I didn't realize they accounted for all of those options. Do you know where a list of stock spring rates can be found?
They don't have different springs. There is no way GM (or any manufacturer) would support a dozen different springs for one car.

All v6's have the same springs
All SS's have the same
All ZL1's.

I don't remember which springs the 1LE's use (either the SS or their own), but I do know they have their own shocks & struts.

The only known change within a performance package (base, SS, 1LE, ZL1) in the suspension were with the convertibles, but those included strut tower braces and had different FE3 vs FE4 year ranges.

On my SS, I currently have 1LE shocks/struts with ZL1 springs. That resulted in ~3/4" drop compared to a stock SS.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
They don't have different springs. There is no way GM (or any manufacturer) would support a dozen different springs for one car.
I have no clue about Camaro's, but I know for a fact Jeep Wranglers come with different springs based on options. Softtop/hard top/trailer hitch/model/engine/trans/2 dr 4 dr/etc all make them differ. For the JK front springs, there were about 30 different kinds. We were trying to decipher them on the JK forums but never completed anything
Old 04-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
If there is a legitimate reason for a different spring, then yes they will support multiple part numbers. Legit reasons include: performance package (SS vs ZL1), towing options (not very often), and body configurations (coupe vs sedan vs hatchback). All of which have significant impact to the weight distribution of the vehicle.

In the case of a Jeep, a 2 door has a significantly different weight distribution than a 4 door. Same thing comparing a V6 to an Inline 4 or a diesel.

That being said, "minor" options like sunroof, cloth vs leather, premium sound system won't impact springs.

However I do know that all SS's, regardless of options, have the same spring part numbers. And the springs are even left/right interchangeable. One part# gets you both fronts and a second part# gets you the rears.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
cliffdog89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post

All v6's have the same springs
All SS's have the same
All ZL1's.

I don't remember which springs the 1LE's use (either the SS or their own), but I do know they have their own shocks & struts.

The only known change within a performance package (base, SS, 1LE, ZL1) in the suspension were with the convertibles, but those included strut tower braces and had different FE3 vs FE4 year ranges.

On my SS, I currently have 1LE shocks/struts with ZL1 springs. That resulted in ~3/4" drop compared to a stock SS.
How does that ride on the street?