Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-30-2024, 11:15 PM   #15
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedBee View Post
Hy
I am thinking of trading my ss for a ZL1.
My biggest question is if i should get an auto or manual.

My ss is manual and all my former cars were too. I really like manual shifting but i am not really happy with the shifting in my ss. The driveline is very "clunky" due to too much play ind the whole driveline. I am used to bmw's and there the driveline feels like one piece, no clunk, no noise etc.

What about the zl1 trans: is it comparable to the ss in regards to "clunk", play in the driveline etc. or is it completely different/better?

Sure i will also try to test a manual zl1 but if you tell me that the trans is more or less similar then i will for sure get the auto

Cheers from Switzerland
No clunking from my 2013 M6 ZL1 convertible with 57,000 + miles on it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:20 AM   #16
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Hey Andrew, What are your thoughts on the below product to help reduce slop in the DS?

https://www.jxbperformance.com/produ...arrier-upgrade
I have no direct experience with that part - but in concept I like the idea. It looks like a nicely crafted part, and I think there is wisdom in offering different bushings for street vs. track - no doubt the factory kept it ultra soft to prevent noise transmission into the car. If you've ever grabbed ahold of the factory driveshaft while it's in the car - you can move it around in the factory carrier quiet a bit. Undoubtedly there is all kinds of movement going on when you apply several hundred ft/lbs of torque to it.

My "problem" with it is that for what it costs, you're over a quarter of the way towards a 1pc driveshaft - which eliminates the carrier bearing, but more importantly eliminates the rubber giubo couplers at the transmission and rear end. Those things are easily as much, if not more, of the spring and slop that the driveshaft of these cars have, and they are also a common failure point when you really start to crank up the power.

As with most things, it depends on your combination, and how you use it. I definitely think there is a place for something like that.

Here is a video I have one the 1pc driveshaft. There is a clip in here of how much slop the carrier bearing has - check it out:

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:43 AM   #17
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I have no direct experience with that part - but in concept I like the idea. It looks like a nicely crafted part, and I think there is wisdom in offering different bushings for street vs. track - no doubt the factory kept it ultra soft to prevent noise transmission into the car. If you've ever grabbed ahold of the factory driveshaft while it's in the car - you can move it around in the factory carrier quiet a bit. Undoubtedly there is all kinds of movement going on when you apply several hundred ft/lbs of torque to it.

My "problem" with it is that for what it costs, you're over a quarter of the way towards a 1pc driveshaft - which eliminates the carrier bearing, but more importantly eliminates the rubber giubo couplers at the transmission and rear end. Those things are easily as much, if not more, of the spring and slop that the driveshaft of these cars have, and they are also a common failure point when you really start to crank up the power.

As with most things, it depends on your combination, and how you use it. I definitely think there is a place for something like that.

Here is a video I have one the 1pc driveshaft. There is a clip in here of how much slop the carrier bearing has - check it out:

Thanks very much for your valued feedback! I’ve been seriously considerings a one piece aluminum DS for quite a while for my 490hp/425 torque street only car to provide a little more nimblebess/quickness in 1st&2nd but cost is holding me back. I just came across this bushing product and thought it might somewhat improve what I’m looking for.

I did watch your video and the slop in the carrier bearing was shocking …could you feel it during normal street driving? Also were able to put the heat shield and exhaust shield back on after you installed the one piece? Thanks again
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:51 AM   #18
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Thanks very much for your valued feedback! I’ve been seriously considerings a one piece aluminum DS for quite a while for my 490hp/425 torque street only car to provide a little more nimblebess/quickness in 1st&2nd but cost is holding me back. I just came across this bushing product and thought it might somewhat improve what I’m looking for.

I did watch your video and the slop in the carrier bearing was shocking …could you feel it during normal street driving? Also were able to put the heat shield and exhaust shield back on after you installed the one piece? Thanks again
It's hard to say exactly how much of the slop/spring feeling was the rubber couplers vs. the carrier bearing. I can tell you that replacing it all definitely was noticeable. It wasn't huge, but a definite improvement.

I didn't put the heat shield back on. I'm honestly not sure if you could, but I think not given the additional size and straight line from trans to rear end.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:49 AM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I know its been a few years since I've seen and replied to this thread. Having good seat time since my ZL1's infancy has generated some thoughts about the M6. To a novice the manual may seem imposing. I have found that the driveline can be forgiving to newcomers. When you get up to speed on the driveline, you will find that it is very responsive, and explosive when it comes to acceleration. It also reacts very well to different shifting styles with the clutch. GM's Automatics are very good transmissions, so I don't have a bad word to say about them; IMO any 5th gen ZL1, and especially the 5th and 6th generation 1LE, you would be missing out on a great driving experience without a 6 spd. manual.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote