Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Dealership doesn't resolve issue, then insults me.

I'll keep this as short as possible, because I have a tendency to rant when worked up (this happened weeks ago but I've been fuming).

Car Issue: (A6) When cruising and most any speed above 35MPH, with RPMs just above 1k (A6 is in 5th or 6th at this point...overdrive gears), under light acceleration, there is a shudder and bogging of power around 1,250 - 1,750 RPM, then BOOM, a jolt forward at 2kRPM.

It feels like when, in a regular manual, you are trying to drive in too high a gear. I make it a point when dropping it off that it happens after being warmed up, about 20 - 30 minutes of mixed driving. I had to drop it off because, due to my job, it's just impossible for me to be there the same hours as a tech.

Dealer Issue: I drop it off late Monday, I get a call Tuesday afternoon that it's "done". No issue found after 10 minutes of highway driving. I was told "there is no issue at 35mph".

When I expressed concern over the safety of this, that I'm concerned for my safety and the safety of others on the road, I was told to come in and drive the tech around because "maybe you drive more manly than our tech."

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I told him that it's been happening for months, getting worse. He said I'm using bad gas. I said I use Exxon exclusively. He said use Premium. I said I do.

He refused to test it further unless I was there to drive the tech around, and it's not worth potentially losing the job that pays for the Camaro! (long story about my job, but it's not the point).

So I drive it back home, and 20 minutes into the ride, the issue shows up again. It's still there, and I'm not sure what steps to take next.

I gave them 1 star on their survey, and explained the situation, but have yet to hear anything from anyone.

It's getting to the point where driving my Camaro feels both unsafe and unpleasant.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
maybe a bad TQ converter. Isn't there a recall for bad converters with similar issues?

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
maybe a bad TQ converter. Isn't there a recall for bad converters with similar issues?
I've seen many people mention Torque Converter issues in the 2010-2012 range, but it doesn't appear to have been addressed as a recall or service bulletin.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
call corporate and file an excelated issue. raise "concern" "disgust" from the higher ups and let it trickle down to a dealer to have to take care of. that is if GM has a corporate level escalation team to handle things like this. I had to do it with a different brand of car before and it got things moving pretty fast. dealership wasnt fixing the issue after 3 times sending it in for warranty work so corporate sent in their own mechanics to deal with the issue.

If you dont want to go that high...call the general manager and see how that plays out maybe
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
call corporate and file an excelated issue. raise "concern" "disgust" from the higher ups and let it trickle down to a dealer to have to take care of. that is if GM has a corporate level escalation team to handle things like this. I had to do it with a different brand of car before and it got things moving pretty fast. dealership wasnt fixing the issue after 3 times sending it in for warranty work so corporate sent in their own mechanics to deal with the issue.

If you dont want to go that high...call the general manager and see how that plays out maybe
I shot out an email to GM today...I think I'll go ahead and call them this afternoon. I have no issue escalating it as high as I can go. Safety first...concern for getting anyone in "trouble" isn't even a distant 2nd.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
You should definitely go for a drive with the tech. This is one of those situations where that would absolutely help.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Since when does "bad gas" make a car act like that? I wish people would take pride in their work these days.
Sounds like a bad TQ. Do you have another dealer close by to take it to?
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jewel RS View Post
Since when does "bad gas" make a car act like that? I wish people would take pride in their work these days.
Sounds like a bad TQ. Do you have another dealer close by to take it to?
There are a few dealerships in my area, but (I thought) I was going to the most reputable one.

I just got off the phone with a GM rep, I explained the whole thing in detail, and they are escalating it. I told the guy that I didn't want to bring it back to the same dealership, as that experience left a bad taste in my mouth (plus I know that they won't be too keen to see me after this anyway, don't want them taking it out on my car!)

I should be hearing from someone within 24 business hours.

Hell, let me make as big a stink about this as a can to everyone I can find, and let every GM dealership within 200 miles tell me there is no problem...because that is what it will take for me to "go away" without this fixed.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post
You should definitely go for a drive with the tech. This is one of those situations where that would absolutely help.
I know that, but at the same time, I simply can't because of my job's hours and my inability to take off for something like that.

Shouldn't a tech, someone who test drives cars all the time, know how to drive a car to emulate the issues I've described. Hell, I bet anyone here could hop behind the wheel of my car and recreate the problem based on my description.

Or even the other way around...how would one test drive for a suspected torque converter issue?

This is his job, not mine, and I'm not going to risk losing my job because he wasn't diligent in doing his.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I'll keep this as short as possible, because I have a tendency to rant when worked up (this happened weeks ago but I've been fuming).

Car Issue: (A6) When cruising and most any speed above 35MPH, with RPMs just above 1k (A6 is in 5th or 6th at this point...overdrive gears), under light acceleration, there is a shudder and bogging of power around 1,250 - 1,750 RPM, then BOOM, a jolt forward at 2kRPM.

It feels like when, in a regular manual, you are trying to drive in too high a gear. I make it a point when dropping it off that it happens after being warmed up, about 20 - 30 minutes of mixed driving. I had to drop it off because, due to my job, it's just impossible for me to be there the same hours as a tech.

Dealer Issue: I drop it off late Monday, I get a call Tuesday afternoon that it's "done". No issue found after 10 minutes of highway driving. I was told "there is no issue at 35mph".

When I expressed concern over the safety of this, that I'm concerned for my safety and the safety of others on the road, I was told to come in and drive the tech around because "maybe you drive more manly than our tech."

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I told him that it's been happening for months, getting worse. He said I'm using bad gas. I said I use Exxon exclusively. He said use Premium. I said I do.

He refused to test it further unless I was there to drive the tech around, and it's not worth potentially losing the job that pays for the Camaro! (long story about my job, but it's not the point).

So I drive it back home, and 20 minutes into the ride, the issue shows up again. It's still there, and I'm not sure what steps to take next.

I gave them 1 star on their survey, and explained the situation, but have yet to hear anything from anyone.

It's getting to the point where driving my Camaro feels both unsafe and unpleasant.
I think I remember your original post on this, when you were thinking about taking your car into the dealer, and as i suspected, the dealer was going to basically say "meh, nothing's broken, we're not fixing it."

And here we are.

Driving with a tech in the car is the surest way to get the problem resolved quickly. Yes, you will need to find time out of your day, yes it's frustrating, but some issues require collaboration with you as the owner.

If it's never going to be possible for you to take time to go do this, might I suggest finding a dealer service shop that's open on one of your days off (techs sometimes work sat/sun even if the service dept is closed, maybe you could make special arrangements to meet up with one of them).

Point is, if it's causing you so much frustration, it might be better to just make the time to go meet with a tech, instead of trying to feel right/vindicated-- if that makes sense. Yes, it's the dealer's problem, they should be able to reproduce the issue, but since they're not, just go do it for them. That seems the quickest way to resolution here.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
OP, I run a used car lot and I bought a '05 Mazda Tribute. We have about 30 Tributes/Escapes, so I'm very familiar with the vehicle. No check engine light and when I drove the vehicle on the highway. it would shutter until I gave it more gas. I thought we might have a transmission issue. I knew that I couldn't lease it like that, so I drove it as my demo. No codes or check engine light on. Finally, months later it got worse and the check engine light flashed and then it went back off again. Got back to the lot and it had a stored code for a missfire. We changed the coil pack and problem solved. We figure that the coil was breaking down, that is just another possibility.
I would always find a way to have someone ride with me so I could duplicate a problem. I set an appointment and took my car to the dealership. I had a strut issue on my car and it would only make a loud bang on CERTAIN bumps. I drove the lead tech to that CERTAIN bump and he asked me when could I drop it off. They put me in a loaner, I didn't miss much time.
Hope things work out for you, keep us posted.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
.... He said I'm using bad gas. I said I use Exxon exclusively. He said use Premium. I said I do....
Your dealer is an idiot... but that seems to have been established already.

Suggesting that you use premium makes no sense whatsoever. Your 2LS will not run any differently on premium... it's not tuned for that. An SS, yes... set for premium... not a 2LS.

Putting premium in a car not designed for it is sort of like using batteries wrapped in gold foil in your flashlight: It won't HURT anything, but it will cost you a lot for the gold- leaf wrapper, and it will produce exactly the same results as a Duracell- powered flashlight--- with no golden foil wrapper--- will.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
I think you're overreacting. Asking you to ride with a tech sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I must have missed the insult, because saying you may drive more manly certainly isn't one.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
geezus, just go ride with the guy. they want to fix it but they cannot duplicate the problem. the issue is yours, show them then they can help you.

we often do that at my shop and my customers dont get upset.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote