Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
sounds great, but that is simulating driving. Again, when I am driving, it sounds great, its when im in parked or neutrel, you know, showing what its got, fast revs up to about 3000 rpms, its too raspy, almost pingy.
Also, I dont want a cel, long tubes and no cats, not for me. I guess what I am asking, is there anything that might cure this with the setup I have now? Such as that x pipe you have, would that help? Or change out my flowmasters? I know its not the intake or the doug thorley shorties.
Anyone????
perforated x-pipe will def get rid of any rasp but it will also tone down the overall volume. If you are a type of guy that like LOUD than you might want to look for another option. Thats how my car sound on the dyno and off dyno and revving or driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
your car sounds like a Z.
I get that alot but I guess there would be some similarities since both are V6.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
RS_Man

Drives: '13 Sonic RS 1.4T M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I get that alot but I guess there would be some similarities since both are V6.
I get a lot of comments like that with mine, I don't take it as a bad thing, there are some really nice sounding z's out there. You aren't gonna get a deep growl like a v8, so the sound is going to end up being more European, or very raspy.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I don't take it as a bad thing either. I don't expect a V6 to sound like anything but a 6 cylinder. My friend has the new 370z with tenabe and it sound goooood. I think it actually sound a little more defined and better than mine.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
I looked up that magnaflow x pipe u listed in one of your threads I think it was part # 11386, they list it as a muffler? Is that correct info?
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
RS_Man

Drives: '13 Sonic RS 1.4T M6
Old 10-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
Victoryred69

Drives: RS Victory Red/BS V6
I have the exact same set up as you , flowmaster AMT DT shorties and a Vararam, I think the Vararam is the part that compliments the whole car car it just sounds so mean, everyone loves the sound of my car but if you use the like universal flowmaster 40s they don't seem to sound as good... What kind of intake do you have ? My injen sounded okay before too but with any v6 It's gna be a tinny or a bit raspy at mid to high RPMs. My cars even worse when its cold after about 5 min it sounds good with a nice purr

2010 Camaro 2LT RS M6 VR/BS
Flowmaster AMT Axle Back
Vararam Ram Air Intake
P13 Plazma Bulbs
DT Shorty Headers
Heritage Grill
Blacked-Out Taillights and Side Markers

Victoryred69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Man View Post
Its funny how close these two sound. I may be too close, my exhaust is just idle after car warms up. To me they sound similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SoQfYErASzw
Old 10-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
supaman

Drives: CGM w/IOM rally 2LT/RS
He's right. It's the perforated x-pipe that will remove the rasp that you refer to.

Rumblebee is on the prowl!
supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
I just had DT shortie headers installed, did not help the sound.

I have flowmasters, it sounds awesome while in gear driving, but when people wanna hear you rev it up, like while parked, and you 'fast rev it' its really sounds crappy.
You need to delete resonators and install high flow cats.

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Around my house you add black beans and the rice just disappears! LOL!

Just get rid of the stock resonators. They are setup for the stock cans and don't work well with any of the aftermarket stuff.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #25
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Solo Mach cat back with j-pipes ! No Rasp (front x-pipe), No Drone (j-pipes), just a good clean sound. Does it sound like a V8, Nope its not a V8. But it is the best sounding V6 I have ever heard.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Solo Mach cat back with j-pipes ! No Rasp (front x-pipe), No Drone (j-pipes), just a good clean sound. Does it sound like a V8, Nope its not a V8. But it is the best sounding V6 I have ever heard.
You got a vid of that?
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #27
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
I looked up that magnaflow x pipe u listed in one of your threads I think it was part # 11386, they list it as a muffler? Is that correct info?
I can't remember the part number off hand but I have the 2.5" version which I think it's 11386. If you have the stock mid section than I think you will need the 2.25" version and yes, they are listed as mufflers. They are basically a muffler with x-pipe in it.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The engine always sounds better under a load...never as good while just sitting in park and revving.

I know they are just videos, and its always better to listen in person but it sure seems like most of the flowmaster videos I've seen always had rasp in them while revving, so I would have to say that is a big part of the rasp issue.

One thing to realize though, is that rasp is always more pronouced in a V6 engine...but I think its possible to have an awesome sounding V6.

Have you looked over the exhaust sticky thread?? Not all have rasp. Some exhausts have more of a 'metal' sound in them and some are just incredibly smooth sounding. I myself prefer setups with include a "smooth" sounding exhaust like Magnaflow, combined with LT headers which brings out more growl while still keeping a good sound and almost zero rasp.

For instance:(try to listen with something that can reproduce decent bass tones)