Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Hate to say I told you all so.....

I remember when pricing was released for the 6th Camaro, specifically the 1SS, I griped about it on this forum. I said then the sales would suffer and only time would tell if I was wrong or right. I paid $33K for my 5th gen 1SS in 2012. I paid right at $38K for my 6th gen 1SS in 2016. I said only the real Camaro enthusiast wouldn't mind this $5K increase because the car is so much more technologically advanced than the 5th gen and the performance is far more superior. Yes there are some features that I have standard that I didn't before. But the weirdos that we are on this forum don't represent the average consumer that would fallout from sticker shock. At that time the Mustang had just started kicking our ass in sales. Everyone said wait until the 6th gen is released and we would reclaim our position. I love the 6th gen Camaro even though the change wasn't radical enough, its an awesome car. But with Ford having that entry Mustang GT around $32-$34K, I knew they would continue their dominance in sales as we had no entry level SS comparable in price. Fast forward to a rushed refresh in 2019, another refresh in 2020, and finally an entry level V8 called the LT1. We are still missing the glaring point, the LT1 should be the 1SS, the 1SS at $38K should be starting price of the 2SS, or make a 3SS if you need to. Again, the average consumers are not weirdos like us. And will still choose a GT over a LT1 because they don't know WTF a LT1 is or anything about the history of the engine. Now rumors of a delayed or shelved 7th Gen Camaro is scary. I pray we don't lose the Camaro again.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
The LT1 should be a massive hit but GM is far more interested in advertising their new Blazer. I put all the fault for the low sales numbers on advertising.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
The LT1 should be a massive hit but GM is far more interested in advertising their new Blazer. I put all the fault for the low sales numbers on advertising.
I think the fully loaded Blazer is over priced for it not to wear an SS badge like the Trailblazer. I agree the advertising and their branding scheme has been horrible.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
I think the fully loaded Blazer is over priced for it not to wear an SS badge like the Trailblazer. I agree the advertising and their branding scheme has been horrible.
Engine packages on the Blazer are boring. Want to give it the real Blazer credit? Offer the 2.0T and then the V8. Throw the SS badge on the V8. Then, we’re talking.

I just get so fed up with GMs marketing. Here they have a line of ultra cool, high performing, reasonably priced (especially the 2.0T) fun cars and all you see are commercials for pickups and SUVs. For crying out loud, the Buick commercial where the couple come out and the guy goes to get in a Regal and she’s like, no...THATS my Buick! Pointing to the suv, like the car was a piece of crap. They mock their own line. Morons.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with you Sonny on the pricing of the 6gen! It should have been cheaper and more in line with the 5th gen prices but newer and more technology costs more. In my opinion the 6gen is a better Camaro than the 5th gen in a lot of ways and yes it didn’t get any advertising done with it. The focus now with GM it seems since Mary B. became the CEO is more on family type vehicles, SUVs, trucks and the future electric vehicles. That is the way the future is headed and big engine sports cars like the Camaro are doomed. For some unknown reasons to me is how and why the Corvette has survived all the years because of its limited customer base and higher cost. Someone I know said it because of the new technology they develop and they put it in the Corvette first before the other models get it. I do hate these commercials that Chevy has out now but if that helps sell vehicles then I guess the marketing folks are happy.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
LT4Greg

And of course Chevy can’t survive on Camaro and Corvette sales and has to sell vehicles that are profitable! Wait until gas prices start going up again like a few years ago and people will be getting rid of their big trucks and SUVs for vehicles that are more efficient and smaller. It seems to be a never ending cycle every few years or so.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I agree with you Sonny on the pricing of the 6gen! It should have been cheaper and more in line with the 5th gen prices but newer and more technology costs more. In my opinion the 6gen is a better Camaro than the 5th gen in a lot of ways and yes it didn’t get any advertising done with it. The focus now with GM it seems since Mary B. became the CEO is more on family type vehicles, SUVs, trucks and the future electric vehicles. That is the way the future is headed and big engine sports cars like the Camaro are doomed. For some unknown reasons to me is how and why the Corvette has survived all the years because of its limited customer base and higher cost. Someone I know said it because of the new technology they develop and they put it in the Corvette first before the other models get it. I do hate these commercials that Chevy has out now but if that helps sell vehicles then I guess the marketing folks are happy.
You make a very interesting point with the Corvette. You are right all of the tech went there first. Push start, HUD, bigger infotainment screens etc. Ford proved that you can go from last to first in the Pony wars with a great marketing campaign, a radical design, and an affordable entry level V8 that wears a legendary badge. They did everything right with the Mustang. They appealed to the masses and not the enthusiast in the spirit of keeping the Mustang alive. The Camaro is not a Corvette and cannot survive only catering to the enthusiast.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
sonnydurden

Quote:
Engine packages on the Blazer are boring. Want to give it the real Blazer credit? Offer the 2.0T and then the V8. Throw the SS badge on the V8. Then, we’re talking.

I just get so fed up with GMs marketing. Here they have a line of ultra cool, high performing, reasonably priced (especially the 2.0T) fun cars and all you see are commercials for pickups and SUVs. For crying out loud, the Buick commercial where the couple come out and the guy goes to get in a Regal and she’s like, no...THATS my Buick! Pointing to the suv, like the car was a piece of crap. They mock their own line. Morons.
Have you seen the Blazer SS concept? They would win big time!... But they are happy with a RS for $45K
Old 06-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
LT4Greg

True Sonny but a Blazer SS would probably be $50,000 or more if one is built!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Drives: Volt gen2, Colorado V6, soonCamaro
Quote:
Except the front end looks like a horse's ass, and I'm not talkin' about a stallion.

AlphaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
LT4Greg

True Alpha but it’s supposed to be a lower cost V8 model to the SS and hopefully bring more sales for the Camaro! I hope it does sell and it might be better looking in person than in pictures.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:19 AM   #12
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
I paid $33K for my 5th gen 1SS in 2012.
I paid $33,090 for my '19 1SS in 2019. (Before tax and lic). I had the Mustang rebate plus dealer discount.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:30 AM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
for the price of a RS blazer you can buy a V8 Grand Cherokee with all the options I want.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
True Sonny but a Blazer SS would probably be $50,000 or more if one is built!
the RS is over $50k
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote