Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Test drive both, make sure you go through all the settings in an MRC car over various road surfaces to see the difference between that and a non-equipped car.

I was really curious about it given that it was a pass down from the 5th gen ZL1 but didn't make enough of a difference for me to get a car with it. That's just me though. Lots of people disagree.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #16
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
There are some misunderstandings about the MRC, that I will try to dispel. One is that is just for the track, the other is that it makes the suspension adjustable, so you can ride in comfort, then flick a switch (or setting) and go to the track.

Many suspensions are adjustable from a switch in the cockpit. However, once you set the suspension to a specific setting, it stays at that level of damping until the setting is changed again. So if you set it to stiff, it becomes stiff until you change the setting

MRC changes the level of damping 1000 times a second while you drive. Yes, it is adjustable from the cockpit, but that is not the exciting part. The exciting part is that you can set it to stiff, and it will become stiff, but if you hit a pothole, that particular damper (not the all of them, but just the one that hit the pothole) softens for the bump, then goes back to stiff in milliseconds. Then it does the same for the rear damper that hit the pothole after the front one did, and it does the same thing. So it adjusts to the road conditions and driver inputs separately, and for each damper individually.

The software that runs this can distinguish between damper movement that is from driver input and/or road conditions. So when you hit the brakes hard and slam it into a turn, the suspension stiffens up the front, then outside dampers to keep the body movements to a minimum. But if you were to hit a pothole during this event, it can loosen the dampening on each damper as it passes over the pothole. So, it will keep the car planted as though the suspension is very stiff, but ride over potholes as though the suspension is soft AT THE SAME TIME. This helps on the track by not letting the car get upset by hitting a pothole in a high-g turn, or hitting the curbs on a road course. And it also makes for a much more comfortable ride than a suspension without it.

Then on top of all that, it is adjustable like conventional adjustable suspensions. So you can set how stiff it feels all around.

Hope that helps explain the benefits of the system.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
There are some misunderstandings about the MRC, that I will try to dispel. One is that is just for the track, the other is that it makes the suspension adjustable, so you can ride in comfort, then flick a switch (or setting) and go to the track.

Many suspensions are adjustable from a switch in the cockpit. However, once you set the suspension to a specific setting, it stays at that level of damping until the setting is changed again. So if you set it to stiff, it becomes stiff until you change the setting

MRC changes the level of damping 1000 times a second while you drive. Yes, it is adjustable from the cockpit, but that is not the exciting part. The exciting part is that you can set it to stiff, and it will become stiff, but if you hit a pothole, that particular damper (not the all of them, but just the one that hit the pothole) softens for the bump, then goes back to stiff in milliseconds. Then it does the same for the rear damper that hit the pothole after the front one did, and it does the same thing. So it adjusts to the road conditions and driver inputs separately, and for each damper individually.

The software that runs this can distinguish between damper movement that is from driver input and/or road conditions. So when you hit the brakes hard and slam it into a turn, the suspension stiffens up the front, then outside dampers to keep the body movements to a minimum. But if you were to hit a pothole during this event, it can loosen the dampening on each damper as it passes over the pothole. So, it will keep the car planted as though the suspension is very stiff, but ride over potholes as though the suspension is soft AT THE SAME TIME. This helps on the track by not letting the car get upset by hitting a pothole in a high-g turn, or hitting the curbs on a road course. And it also makes for a much more comfortable ride than a suspension without it.

Then on top of all that, it is adjustable like conventional adjustable suspensions. So you can set how stiff it feels all around.

Hope that helps explain the benefits of the system.
Great explanation. One thing I always try to add is the fact that is it not going to make this car ride like a old Caddy. Dampening is only aspect of what makes up a smooth ride. That said MRC and getting rid of the RFTs will make the car less of a pain driving around on crappy roads. But it's still a sports car with a rigid chassis.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #18
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Great explanation. One thing I always try to add is the fact that is it not going to make this car ride like a old Caddy. Dampening is only aspect of what makes up a smooth ride. That said MRC and getting rid of the RFTs will make the car less of a pain driving around on crappy roads. But it's still a sports car with a rigid chassis.
I came out of a 5th Gen V6. When I was looking into getting the 6th Gen V8, I test drove one without the MRC. The suspension was a significantly stiffer ride that I was used to in my 5th Gen V6. But the 6th Gen V8 with the MRC was a softer more comfortable ride than my old 5th Gen V6. That was surprising!

But yes, it doesn't ride like an old Caddy for sure, but I am totally amazed at how comfortable the ride is over a rough road given the performance aspect. The MRC is a home run.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #19
Tazz3069

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for all of your answers. I will never put her on the track and she is not my daily driver. I use it for date night and and occasional drive to a car show. Again, thank you for all your answers. I now understand the whole suspension thing. I am actually happy with the ride of my car.

2016 Camaro 2SS "Black Widow"
Tazz3069 is offline   Reply With Quote