Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-20-2020, 02:06 AM   #1
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Youtuber hating on the Gen 6 and why sales are low

I totally disagree about the styling. I think the 2016 refresh was great and the style is great. Interior major upgrade and exterior is on the money.

I can agree about the visibility part though could persuade some away from the Challenger Scat Pack and the Camaro.

IMO the reason why sales might lag mainly is because there are many more aftermarket parts for the Mustang GT. While the GT is slightly slower than the Camaro you can easily make it for it with a tun and CAI kit. SO that's the only reason I can think of. Slightly cheaper price than the SS and with better visibility people can mod the GT to be up to par with an SS.

The base model GT and low end premium GTs are a little cheaper than the Camaro though. However everyone seems to be driving a 2015 and newer Mustang. I see far less Camaro SSs and LT1s on the road.

I also notice my SS turns a lot of heads too and guys check it out. The 2012 Coyote I had drew nearly not as much attention when I parked it.

CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I don't think the slow sales have anything to do with the lack of aftermarket support. Most people won't bother modding their cars, and higher percentage of cars sold are typically lower end models. I think the Camaro has four things going against it really:

1. The stigma of driving a Camaro. Most people just think that a Mustang or a Challenger is cooler to own.
2. Looks. To each his own, but overall the competitors have better looking cars. This is not to say the Camaro is ugly by any means, but I think it lacks distinction from the previous generation and the wow factor in base forms.
3. Ease of daily use. Most people who buy the cheaper models do utilize them as daily drivers, and the people who can afford the higher end spec's variants are of the older crowd. This generally leads to complaints of ergonomics, "limited visibility", and ease of getting in and out.
4. GM has ZERO marketing for the Camaro. It's just amazing to me that for a car that has such awesome driving habits and performance value, the general public has no clue. With that when shopping for a performance car the conversation generally ends with "oh, but it's a Camaro". See point 1.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I do agree with him that GM's muscle car is the Corvette, not the Camaro. It is the sports car that GM will always put their focus on. As for looks and such... everyone has an opinion.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
impulse

Drives: Big Dually ... RIP ZL1
Why are you watching StangMode....... that’s part of the problem right there lol.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Slow sales.
ZERO marketing for the car. NONE.
Also, they should have offered the LT1 Camaro option from the beginning. I’ll bet they would have sold more to people who want cheap V8 power at a lesser cost. Much like buying a 5.0L LX back in the foxbody Mustang days as opposed to a GT or Cobra.
The visibility bothers some people and the trunk isn’t very desirable to some. Although I will say having the rear seat fold down is nice and I bet there are plenty of owners who never think of it if they want to take a longer parcel in the trunk.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
If there is one thing this guy says that I understand, it's the camaro practically being similar to the viper. Having owned both vehicles as weekend toys, this is a very true statement. My srt10 coupe was very comparable to my current gen6 LT1 in purpose, functionality, ergonomics, practically, etc. That being said, I chose the camaro over the mustang because of handling, low end torque (the mustang gt was a dog under 5k rpm) and the transmissions (the tr6060 in my LT1 felt vastly superior and more robust than even the "improved" mt-82 on the mustang). As for the challenger, I loved the looks and even moreso the interior space and storage, but the handling was horrendous compared to a gen6, and the excessive weight was very apparent. I'm a single guy with no kids, so back seat room is irrelevant to me. I see the gen 6 camaro as the best poor man's front engine corvette ever made.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
There's enough negativity out there, I don't see any point in searching for it on YouTube. :-)
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
And now sales of new V8 Camaros are banned in Washington State and California due to copper content found in their brake pads. GM has not supported this car.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The Corvette isn't a muscle car never has been.

Sales are low because the Camaro isn't practical for most. We live in a age where everybody wants a SUV. The Camaro is basically a 2.5 seat car.

The new Mustang GT's are not any cheaper when you option them comparably.

Quit worrying about what Youtuber's have to say. There will always be haters now matter how great something is or isn't.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I won’t even waste my time to watch that video! He has his opinions just like all of us have here on this forum. You will find people that will bash everything that is being made and that’s why I don’t pay them any mind.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I totally disagree about the styling. I think the 2016 refresh was great and the style is great. Interior major upgrade and exterior is on the money.
You just inadvertently stated the general perception of the 6th gen out there.

The 6th gen is perceived as a "refresh". It isn't a refresh. The 2014-2015 Camaro is a refresh. The 6th gen is an entire redesign that took an evolutionary approach to the design. The 5th gen and 6th gen Camaro's couldn't be more different. In matter of fact the 2014 refresh probably contributed to the suppressed reaction to the 6th gen.

vs

Pre-refresh and 6th gen, can clearly tell the design is still evolutionary, but the design differences are clearly seen.

Throw in the refresh......

The 2014 refresh adopted a lot of the design elements the 6th gen ultimately would have. Making it harder to tell the 6th gen was all new. IMHO retrospectively, GM should have never done the 2014 refresh and maybe the 6th gens reception would have been better.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
It is so simple why the Camaro isn't selling:

1) The visibility sucks. Yes, we all got used to it. However if a prospective buyer sits in the car the first thing they will say is 'I can't see shit.' They aren't going to give the car a chance. They won't bother 'getting used to it.' The visibility is literately mentioned in EVERY review. You can't read/watch a Camoro review without someone mentioning the bad visibility.

2) The practicality is worse than Mustang and Challenger. The interior storage sucks. The trunk opening is garbage. This turns away prospective buyers too.

3) Prior to the LT1, the Camaro was the most expensive new V8 muscle car. As someone else mentioned, Chevy should have offered the LT1 trim from the start. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake if we get a 7th gen. They need to offer a cheaper V8 trim FROM THE START.

4) Chevy didn't advertise the Camaro for shit.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
It is so simple why the Camaro isn't selling:

1) The visibility sucks. Yes, we all got used to it. However if a prospective buyer sits in the car the first thing they will say is 'I can't see shit.' They aren't going to give the car a chance. They won't bother 'getting used to it.' The visibility is literately mentioned in EVERY review. You can't read/watch a Camoro review without someone mentioning the bad visibility.

2) The practicality is worse than Mustang and Challenger. The interior storage sucks. The trunk opening is garbage. This turns away prospective buyers too.
5th gen also suffered from 1 and 2. They sold like hot cakes. But the 5th gen had the "cool" factor like the Challenger has now. So people were likely to overlook it.

Plus the market has shifted since the 5th gen. So the practicality aspect probably has become a bigger factor as well.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #14
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
5th gen also suffered from 1 and 2. They sold like hot cakes. But the 5th gen had the "cool" factor like the Challenger has now. So people were likely to overlook it.

Plus the market has shifted since the 5th gen. So the practicality aspect probably has become a bigger factor as well.

Yeah the 5th had the cook 'comeback' factor since it was the first Camaro in years, and it got the advertising from Transformers.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote