Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-03-2024, 12:29 AM   #43
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
Talking man pedal cars. I completely understand that there are only 2 options for gears and they're both expensive 9inch kits. However, I'm just trying to coax someone into actually making gears for the stock housing.
Does anyone think that will ever happen? The manual SS and V6 rears are getting extremely expensive and of course we just have zero other options.

t one point I bought and installed a manual SS 3.73 rear, and I think if I remember correctly only paid maybe $500 and it was very low milage as well. Now of course they are unreasonably and insanely expensive. The reason I took mine out and went back to the stock rear is because I couldn't get the TCM to shift at the correct time and the upshifts would hang up too long and I just couldn't accept it since it just made it feel like something was wrong or broken.

I then ended up breaking my stock 2.73 rear when the thrust washer/shim broke on both sides on the clutches and of course there are zero parts to fix any of it, so I just had to try to take it apart and sell the side axle flanges out of it and then now it just sits there.

So this is going to be very subjective and anecdotal, which I don't like to normally do because I like data to back things up, but this rear in the 6th gen just seems like a huge POS and something that would be in a 2000s BMW or something like that. I never had a 5th gen so I don't know what the AAM was like but at least there are parts for it. I believe this 6th gen one is made by GKN Driveline I think. I know a lot of people are saying it looks strong but of course looking strong doesn't mean much.

My car had also been hit bad in the driver's side rear tire and broke the control arms and CV axle so I'm not sure if that maybe had anything to do with it, but the shims/washers definitely gave out but everything else looked fine so the stock one made it about 100k and it had a lot of launches on it, many with Nitto 555R2s as well.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:41 PM   #44
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
"My car had also been hit bad in the driver's side rear tire and broke the control arms and CV axle so I'm not sure if that maybe had anything to do with it, but the shims/washers definitely gave out"

This could definitly be an issue!
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:06 PM   #45
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
"My car had also been hit bad in the driver's side rear tire and broke the control arms and CV axle so I'm not sure if that maybe had anything to do with it, but the shims/washers definitely gave out"

This could definitly be an issue!
I talked to someone else that had the same issue, but I don't think he mentioned the car ever being hit.

Did it tear up the spider gears too?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote