Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
rjacobs

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
LT1 engine
Better 6MT
Better rear diff
Just to talk on these points as your PRO's...

I dont know that I would call the LT1 a PRO over the LS3. LS3 will be MUCH cheaper to mod due to the fuel system being much simpler than the DI. LS3 has a WAY deeper aftermarket than the LT series.

Its the same transmission TR6060. I dont know that the one in the Camaro is any better as far as hard parts go, than the one in the vette.

And I wouldnt say the Camaro has a better rear diff. The Grand Sport has the Z06 rear end... Its a beast. TONS of HP put through them. BOTH diffs will break output shafts. If you are talking E-LSD being BETTER than the GS's standard LSD, meh, I dont know, in practice, if its all that much better.

BUT I wouldnt be looking at C6 GS's honestly... You will be underwhelmed I believe. Nice cars, I enjoyed my C6 Z06, but I really really like my 18 Camaro ZL1... I know neither are exactly what you are looking at, but the C6 cars are great for modding and going fast, but their tech is from 2005(and really from say 2002 or 2003 as thats when they were designed).
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
I would take the Camaro 1LE over the C6 Corvette GS any day of the week! C6 Corvettes seem outdated...because they are!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #17
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Go drive both and it'll take half a second to realize the C6 is from an earlier century in terms of chassis and suspension development, and it's still a Malaise-era GM interior.

If you want a Corvette, then there's no changing your mind. If you want the better overall car, it's not even a fair fight.

Personally, I couldn't bring myself to buy a Corvette solely on the major image problem they have around here. They're almost exclusively owned by Big 3 retirees wearing embroidered jackets and congratulating themselves on how few miles they put on their babies for the 3 months a year they dare to risk driving them. It's pathetic. If there's a traffic holdup, guaranteed there's a slow Corvette causing it. Maybe Corvette's aren't as loathed where you are, but it's a major generational sticking point here.
Lol.. I have to admit it is true about the average Corvette buyer. Most I see (not all) are in their 60's or better, overweight & out of shape and can barely get in and out of their cars. They mostly drive them to cruise nights and park a chair and themselves next to their car. BTW.....I have owned 37 Corvettes since I was 18 years old. Just sold my '18 Z06 in January and bought a '16 Camaro SS Convertible. I figure I can have almost as much fun with the Camaro as the Vette at better than half the price!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #18
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
My 2013 Camaro 2SS lease was about to expire. I friend talked me in looking at C6 Vettes. I test drove a 2009 Vette convertible. I liked they way the 2013 Camaro drove so much better than the Vette. So a C6 compared to 6 gen Camaro, there is none, IMO.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #19
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper RS View Post
Lol.. I have to admit it is true about the average Corvette buyer. Most I see (not all) are in their 60's or better, overweight & out of shape and can barely get in and out of their cars. They mostly drive them to cruise nights and park a chair and themselves next to their car. BTW.....I have owned 37 Corvettes since I was 18 years old. Just sold my '18 Z06 in January and bought a '16 Camaro SS Convertible. I figure I can have almost as much fun with the Camaro as the Vette at better than half the price!

I owned a 2013 GS in grey and sold it and bought a 2016 C7 2LT in DSOM
just bought a 2017 Camaro in grey anniversary 50th model

the C6 was nice to drive but headroom will be a problem and longer drives the Camaro is nicer,

if you tracked both cars the corvette will BE A LOT HARDER TO SELL, most corvette used owners are picky about mileage and whether the car has been beat on or tracked,

when you tell them you tracked it even autocross the price plummets in the corvette

the Camaro is more comfortable for driving around town and more headroom I think

also0 the corvette is closer to the ground and scraps more

I would buy the Camaro and enjoy it

the GS will be worthless as a fourth owner car

stig eh
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #20
OUGrad05

Drives: BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
Just to talk on these points as your PRO's...

I dont know that I would call the LT1 a PRO over the LS3. LS3 will be MUCH cheaper to mod due to the fuel system being much simpler than the DI. LS3 has a WAY deeper aftermarket than the LT series.

Its the same transmission TR6060. I dont know that the one in the Camaro is any better as far as hard parts go, than the one in the vette.

And I wouldnt say the Camaro has a better rear diff. The Grand Sport has the Z06 rear end... Its a beast. TONS of HP put through them. BOTH diffs will break output shafts. If you are talking E-LSD being BETTER than the GS's standard LSD, meh, I dont know, in practice, if its all that much better.

BUT I wouldnt be looking at C6 GS's honestly... You will be underwhelmed I believe. Nice cars, I enjoyed my C6 Z06, but I really really like my 18 Camaro ZL1... I know neither are exactly what you are looking at, but the C6 cars are great for modding and going fast, but their tech is from 2005(and really from say 2002 or 2003 as thats when they were designed).
LS3 is cheaper for parts for sure and it's an outstanding motor. But when the LSx motors first came out they were expensive, new and an "unknown" similar to the LT1 today. The LSx turned into the best engine platform in the history of American automakers IMO. LT1 may not quite live up to that, but I'd bet parts get cheaper and more aftermarket folks steadily come into the market.
OUGrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #21
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
I was also on the fence between a C6 Z06, C7, and 1SS 1LE. Obviously chose the Camaro and I have no regrets. Much nicer ride all the way around and killer on the track.
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #22
2slow95vert

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I bought a 2011 GS new in 2011. Daily drove it on sh*tty NY streets for 2 years before selling it when I was buying a house. Have had a 2016 2SS for a year and a half now. The Camaro is faster and the seats are more comfortable, but I liked everything else about the corvette better. If I didn't have 2 little kids that actually fit in the backseat I would have another vette. Also, finding a GS in great shape shouldn't be too hard since most live pampered lives.
2slow95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #23
ljc

Drives: 2ss Nightfall Grey
OUGrad05, I read your post on the Corvette forum yesterday, but decided to keep my thoughts and comments to myself. As a former C6 (2009) owner and now current 17' SS owner (both 6spd manual), I can tell you that I actually enjoy the Camaro more. I miss the targa top and the thought of having a Corvette more than I actually drove. I've almost put as many miles on the Camaro in 1yr as I did in 4yrs of owning the Corvette. The seats are more comfortable, easier to get in & out of, the shifter is MUCH better, and overall the car is more fun to drive in the Camaro. No waves nor even another Camaro driver speaking to you while next to you at the light, but oh well...I didn't purchase it for that reason. Neither are rare/exclusive on my daily drive to and from work so having a "fan" club is not important. I truly do like both cars...but honestly, the Camaro URGES me to drive for no reason. On that note...I'm going for a drive after work!
ljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Corvette.

Simple reason in your cons for Camaro you listed "Not a corvette" You are correct lol, it's not a Corvette. the Corvette is a dream car for me, so I will say Corvette.

HOWEVER I will say the lure of the newer Camaro would probably tempt me. If you could find a C7 in your price range then no question Corvette.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #25
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
6'6" with a helmet, that's gonna be close in the camaro.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
OUGrad05

Drives: BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCBJ View Post
6'6" with a helmet, that's gonna be close in the camaro.
It's close in damn near everything :\

Some cars you just make it work if that makes sense. Other cars the clearance is just too tight to make it work. The recaro's in the 1LE cars sit pretty low and give added clearance over the standard SS seats (or so I've been told).
OUGrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #27
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Do you want a car to appease the masses or do you want a car to appease yourself?

The 1LE keeps up with supercars on the track, looks incredible, and is on par with a C7 and close to C7 Grand Sport. It's basically a C7 GS with a small back seat.

I don't have to explain to anyone why I bought a 1LE Camaro. As soon as they see and hear it, they understand. People think I paid 60 grand for this car just because of the way it looks. Non camaro people know it's some kind of special camaro.

I was shopping for a new C7 Grand Sport and then decided to research and drive a 1LE because of the rear seat. My wife and 5 he old like to cone along for drives.

As soon as I drove it, I knew I wanted it. And, it saved me about 20 grand.

Do some research and watch some review videos about the 1LE. It is a bargain of the century.

The C6 already looks dated.

In reference to your Pros for the 1LE, I'd say you have that backwards. 1LE is more likely to have been beat on. It's essentially a factory built track ho. It's main purpose is to tear up road courses but it is extremely streetable. Can't really drive it in the winter unless you change the tires out. They're specially built for the car and the compound can crack if driven below 40 degrees F. You'll need to change the brake pads out unless you like dust all over the place. Again, built for the track.

The vette is less likely to have been beat on as most vette drivers are older gentlemen who just want to look cool cruising around on the streets. Lol

The 1LE has huge brembos, forged wheels, sticky tires, electronic limited slip diff, magnetic ride control, extra trans, oil, engine, and diff coolers for track use, recaros, several driving modes, adjustable steering, suspension, throttle, and exhaust modes, etc, etc.

This article says a lot about the 1LE:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mclar...t-drivers-car/

Also see below, need I say more?
Attached Images

Last edited by Cgocifer; 03-23-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #28
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Welcome to another Oklahoman, I live in Norman and have been to Hallett several times over the years.

I was in the same boat as you, I even looked at 2013 C6 GS, 2015 C7 Z51 and 2016 C7 GS along with the 2017 ZL1. In the end I ended up with the SS 1LE. The 1LE can out handle the C6 GS and the C6 Z06 and out handles the C7 Z51 and the C7 GS.

I owned a 2008 C6 Z51 and while I loved the car, my 2017 SS 1LE is worlds ahead of it in ride quality and technology.

I would say hands down get the 1LE, you wont go wrong with it.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote