Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
sswiss3000

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Vert, L99
Almost had a crash tonight (video)

tonight was a close call. I love the brakes on our Cars

https://youtu.be/UE6RXfJETpk

FYI, passing on the right is perfectly legal in IL.

Last edited by sswiss3000; 04-02-2016 at 07:46 AM.
sswiss3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Wheel hit the curb?
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
In NJ we have laws about passing on the right.. now this guy seemed oblivious and it is a 2 lanes so that doesn't apply here but some folks just don't pay attention to anything.. Glad nothing came out of it..
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS

Last edited by sdynak; 04-01-2016 at 10:02 PM.
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
Kudo's for the quick reflexes, and glad you weren't hurt.
Sounds like you may have smucked the curb or something?
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
sswiss3000

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Vert, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331Marine View Post
Wheel hit the curb?
No, the sound was from a bag of hardware that went flying in my car. No damage it all
Old 04-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswiss3000 View Post
No, the sound was from a bag of hardware that went flying in my car. No damage it all
Good deal, people don't pay attention, its crazy.
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Good reflexes, close call...
Old 04-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Dude, defensive driving 101. Most people do NOT have their mirrors adjusted correctly, hence the notorious "blind spot'. I knew what was going to happen way before the attempted lane change.

Never travel in the blind spot of another driver if you can avoid it.

Here is an easy way to align your side mirrors to rid yourself of the blind spots.

1. Lean your head as far to the right as is comfortable from the drivers seat. Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see down the passenger side of your vehicle.

2. Put your head against the driver side window. Adjust driver side mirror so you can see down the side of the vehicle.

When you return your head to the normal driving position, your side mirrors will now be reflecting exactly what is normally the "blind spot". It does not look natural, but check it out, between your rear view mirror, and your side mirrors, you now have everything covered.

Anyway, if more people did this, there would be a lot less of what you almost experienced. Good thing you have extremely fast reflexes. Guess you are silll young.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
Crowmag

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99
Close one. If I can help it I never stay in some ones rear quarter. Our cars are lower and hard to see sometimes. Glad he didn't hit you.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
LukeCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT1
Same thing happened on my way home. Jerk tried to pass me on the left. Then got in the same position as they did with you and stayed there for half a mile. Then started to veer into my lane. I did the opposite as you though. I honked my horn and then put the pedal to the floor. Never stay behind someone who has no clue how to drive. Stay in front of them. As far in front of them as you can.
LukeCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Dude, defensive driving 101. Most people do NOT have their mirrors adjusted correctly, hence the notorious "blind spot'. I knew what was going to happen way before the attempted lane change.

Never travel in the blind spot of another driver if you can avoid it.

Here is an easy way to align your side mirrors to rid yourself of the blind spots.

1. Lean your head as far to the right as is comfortable from the drivers seat. Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see down the passenger side of your vehicle.

2. Put your head against the driver side window. Adjust driver side mirror so you can see down the side of the vehicle.

When you return your head to the normal driving position, your side mirrors will now be reflecting exactly what is normally the "blind spot". It does not look natural, but check it out, between your rear view mirror, and your side mirrors, you now have everything covered.

Anyway, if more people did this, there would be a lot less of what you almost experienced. Good thing you have extremely fast reflexes. Guess you are silll young.
I've been doing this for years -- EXCELLENT advice!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #12
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Must be a bad day for Camaro drivers (or maybe just a lucky one). Today in a parking lot a lady pulled out of a Starbucks right in front of me. I slammed the brakes, laid on the horn, and came within a few feet of a wreck.

Now someone tell me if this is a normal feature: When I slammed the brakes the radio muted. Is that a normal thing (to cause less distraction in a wreck), or could it just have been from the g-forces jolting it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Must be a bad day for Camaro drivers (or maybe just a lucky one). Today in a parking lot a lady pulled out of a Starbucks right in front of me. I slammed the brakes, laid on the horn, and came within a few feet of a wreck.

Now someone tell me if this is a normal feature: When I slammed the brakes the radio muted. Is that a normal thing (to cause less distraction in a wreck), or could it just have been from the g-forces jolting it?
Could have just been the radio getting quiet because you have it set to get louder based on speed?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #14
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post

Radio does have speed sense, but never heard of potential crash mute! Interesting...