Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
franksredhot

Drives: 2016 Red Hot Camaro 1SS A8
I love this forum, people complain about the slightest problems. If it's functioning right the hill assist is barely noticeable and can't hurt the car. It probably also stops people from holding their car on an incline with just the transmission. This protects the tranny.
franksredhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksredhot View Post
I love this forum, people complain about the slightest problems. If it's functioning right the hill assist is barely noticeable and can't hurt the car. It probably also stops people from holding their car on an incline with just the transmission. This protects the tranny.
Please explain to me how I’m complaining? I was simply asking a question.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #17
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I am betting you only applied light throttle (light throttle won't be enough to overcome Hill Assist) ...under light throttle you probably only triggered 4 cylinders instead of 6...thus the Vibration...I could be wrong..but Im speculating.
Possible. It stopped vibrating when I pressed the throttle (obviously.) I’ve never seen hill assist and so therefore I had the brakes applied, don’t know if that affects it in anyway. I’ll have to try and replicate this now, it was a weird occurrence.

Thanks for all the information everyone, this is a new one to me. Kind of confused me at first.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Possible. It stopped vibrating when I pressed the throttle (obviously.) I’ve never seen hill assist and so therefore I had the brakes applied, don’t know if that affects it in anyway. I’ll have to try and replicate this now, it was a weird occurrence.

Thanks for all the information everyone, this is a new one to me. Kind of confused me at first.
Well, think of it like this, all Hill Assist really is, is the vehicle continuing to hold pressure on the brakes, even when you release your foot from the brake pedal - it just keeps the brakes engaged until you push the gas enough to where the vehicle knows it will overcome the hill without rolling back.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #19
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well, think of it like this, all Hill Assist really is, is the vehicle continuing to hold pressure on the brakes, even when you release your foot from the brake pedal - it just keeps the brakes engaged until you push the gas enough to where the vehicle knows it will overcome the hill without rolling back.
Yeah, I understand what it is but assumed it was a manual option only. Merely because you have to physically move and shift all at once and it’s easy to roll in a manual and stall. In an automatic you can generally take your foot off the brake and the car will generally sit fairly still. Not many hills in Colorado though haha
Old 12-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
majik755

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Fiftieth Anniversary
I get it all the time with my automatic, other than the message appearing, it I see no downside. I've had at least two occasions where a driver at a light has rolled back into me, and several others that required a horn wake up to prevent it from happening.
majik755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #21
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Yeah, I understand what it is but assumed it was a manual option only. Merely because you have to physically move and shift all at once and it’s easy to roll in a manual and stall. In an automatic you can generally take your foot off the brake and the car will generally sit fairly still. Not many hills in Colorado though haha

Serious question, have you ever driven a manual car? Your reply sounds of someone who watches too many YouTube videos.

The reason I ask is because your reply makes no sense.

An adept driver in a manual car can hold the brake and clutch, shift into 1st and modulate the clutch, without using the gas, to find the friction point to hold the vehicle where it is or rock it to their heart’s content. The only reason why a manual driver allows their car to roll backwards is because the a-hole behind them pulled up to close to them anyway.

This is essentially the same thing that you’d be doing in an auto by having it in “D” and taking your foot off the brake.

The hill start assist does assist regardless of transmission. It’s simply a mechanism meant to overcome friction to allow a vehicle to move forward, or reverse, as the driver intends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #22
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Serious question, have you ever driven a manual car? Your reply sounds of someone who watches too many YouTube videos.

The reason I ask is because your reply makes no sense.

An adept driver in a manual car can hold the brake and clutch, shift into 1st and modulate the clutch, without using the gas, to find the friction point to hold the vehicle where it is or rock it to their heart’s content. The only reason why a manual driver allows their car to roll backwards is because the a-hole behind them pulled up to close to them anyway.

This is essentially the same thing that you’d be doing in an auto by having it in “D” and taking your foot off the brake.

The hill start assist does assist regardless of transmission. It’s simply a mechanism meant to overcome friction to allow a vehicle to move forward, or reverse, as the driver intends.

No, I’ve never driven a manual, I just like watching YouTube videos on “how to drive a manual.” As per the rest of your nonsense post, hill assist was created for manual cars so they don’t ROLL BACKWARDS on a hill in traffic when you move your foot from the clutch. I don’t think anyone has ever rolled backwards in an automatic car and hit someone, you would have to be a total idiot to accomplish this.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #23
ecko04

Hill assist on an automatic?!

Removed useless dribble

Quote:
... I don’t think anyone has ever rolled backwards in an automatic car and hit someone, you would have to be a total idiot to accomplish this.

Thank you, you’ve made the point for me.

People who haven’t driven a manual equipped vehicle would state something as foolish as the car rolls as you move your foot from the clutch to gas without a ton a caveats to that assumption when you can hold at the friction point very easily or using the parking brake.

People have rolled back in automatic cars, which is why the feature exists for both manual and automatic transmission equipped vehicles.

The feature was created to simulate a manual vehicle handbrake hill start. It was never intended to only be used on manual vehicles as automatic vehicles are not immune to rolling. Also, CVTs will also roll very easily when on a grade.

The hill start assist is not only to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards as the feature also kicks in when the vehicle is in REVERSE. In reverse, the feature exists to keep the vehicle from rolling FORWARD. The direction of travel is irrelevant, the relevancy is to hold the vehicle on a grade to assist in overcoming friction.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #24
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Removed useless dribble

Thank you, you’ve made the point for me.

People who haven’t driven a manual equipped vehicle would state something as foolish as the car rolls as you move your foot from the clutch to gas without a ton a caveats to that assumption when you can hold at the friction point very easily or using the parking brake.

People have rolled back in automatic cars, which is why the feature exists for both manual and automatic transmission equipped vehicles.

The feature was created to simulate a manual vehicle handbrake hill start. It was never intended to only be used on manual vehicles as automatic vehicles are not immune to rolling. Also, CVTs will also roll very easily when on a grade.

The hill start assist is not only to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards as the feature also kicks in when the vehicle is in REVERSE. In reverse, the feature exists to keep the vehicle from rolling FORWARD. The direction of travel is irrelevant, the relevancy is to hold the vehicle on a grade to assist in overcoming friction.

It’s funny I let my fiancée read your post and she thinks your as stupid as I am and just arguing to argue.

She has a manual Chevy with hill assist and I said, “babe, hill assist, why do you think it was created?”

“Because as soon as I move my foot from the clutch the car begins to roll backwards”

But whatever you’re Mario Andretti and your car could never roll on a hill like the 99% of manual drivers on the road. The fact you even state manuals don’t roll is the funniest thing I’ve ever read. Your entire post is hilarious and reeks of someone who is just a massive DB and has to take a statement, pick it apart and pretend like he’s so much smarter than everyone else. Hill assist was created for manuals, end of story.

I mean hell a random google search.

“Hill Hold Assist, also known as Hill Start Assist, is a General Motors chassis technology that makes it easier for a driver to pull away from a stopped position when the vehicle is on an uphill or downhill slope, thereby preventing roll-back or roll-forward scenarios. The feature is especially helpful for vehicles with manual transmissions.”

MANUAL. MANUAL. MANUAL. Moron.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #25
ecko04

Hill assist on an automatic?!

Quote:
It’s funny I let my fiancée read your post and she thinks your as stupid as I am...

I agree with your fiancée, you are stupid lol. I’m not looking to argue with you. I’m just saying that there’s usefulness in hill hold regardless of transmission.

There’s no argument for what the feature intends to mimic, a hold on a hill reminiscent to a parking brake, which manual transmission drivers of any vehicle type are familiar. This was not the premise of your post. The premise of your post is why it exists for an automatic.

You mentioned that you’d have to be an idiot if your automatic transmission equipped car rolled back and hit someone. I totally agree with you there. However, there’s an entire swath of the population that are idiots, at least in terms of driving, and this happens all the time. Minor fender benders due to vehicles rolling back and mostly due to folks just following way too close. The transition from brake to gas is no different than the transition from clutch to gas.

You’re a smart guy, as is your fiancée, but over 97% of vehicles are equipped with some form of automatic transmission (lumping CVTs and DCTs in here for simplicity’s sake). Very few, percentage wise, vehicles are sold with manuals. In fact, there are something like less than 20-25 new models exist that can be equipped with a manual transmission.

In terms of cost-benefit, there aren’t many features that would exist for a manual that wouldn’t be carryovers from implementation in an automatic. It just wouldn’t make financial sense from a time/resource allocation perspective. As you start to creep up in price point of the vehicle the percentage of a particular transmission type shifts to be more balanced but those aren’t the type of vehicles most people buy.

Nissan’s entire lineup are CVTs, for the most part, and have been for a while. These vehicles do not creep forward themselves the same way that your traditional automatic would when you release the brake. In essence, they’re highly susceptible to rolling back. The entire lineup also has hill hold assist to try to mitigate rollback. Honda is transitioning to the same setup.

Your fiancée can tell you that, depending on grade, she can hold her car on a hill without applying any gas. She can also allow ease the clutch out to allow her car to creep the same way that an automatic would and I’m sure she’s closer to Mario Andretti than I am.

The fact is people don’t pay attention on the road anymore. All these nannies are due to that. Backup cameras because folks are running over their neighbor’s kid because they aren’t checking their rear view and looking behind them before backing up. We’re too busy on smartphones and checking text messages to notice the car we’re driving is rolling back onto someone else’s bumper.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that if we’re talking San Francisco style hills then regardless of what transmission you have the car will roll back at least a little.

All jokes aside, we’re both Camaro drivers and love our cars. Good luck to you and your fiancée! I take it that you were born in 85, just a hunch based on your screen name. I was born in 86 and got engaged last year. Wedding planning has been the bane of my existence lol.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I was sitting at a light today (on a hill I suppose) and my car started to tremble, vibrate even, I thought i was going crazy for a second. Then the light changed and i pressed the gas and the info on the dash said “hill assist.” Why would an automatic need Hill assist and why would it shake the whole damn car so badly?
Maybe it's related to the A8 shudder?

Lacking the skill to hold an AT car stopped on a hill with the service brake sounds to me like a demonstration of insufficient skill for possessing a driver's license.

Norm
Old 12-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #27
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Maybe it's related to the A8 shudder?

Lacking the skill to hold an AT car stopped on a hill with the service brake sounds to me like a demonstration of insufficient skill for possessing a driver's license.

Norm
Possible but I haven’t noticed any shudder prior to this which is why it shocked me. As per the rest, I feel the same. If you can’t hold a brake on a hill in an auto you probably shouldn’t be driving a car.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #28
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
You have to go into settings to turn off the vibrator option.
lolz