Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
RunRS9114

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS, A8, NPP
Rotors Pitting and Brake Squeal

Hey everyone! This is something that I noticed right after purchasing and picking up the car and wanted to get an opinion before taking it to the dealership.

I think I have some pitting occurring in my rotors. This is happening on the driver's side front and rear rotors. The passenger side rotors are completely clean and what I would expect from a new car. The car only has 5,000 miles on it, but I noticed the rotors looking like this from the get go (had ~100 miles on it when I bought it new). I didn't really think anything of it when I bought it, assuming whatever it was would burn off with normal driving. Does this look like pitting or is this something else? Should I look into getting these replaced? You can catch your nail in some of the pits when running it along the rotor.

I also have an incredibly loud brake squeal coming from that side of the car and don't know if the pitting in the rotors might be causing that as well. I know some squealing is normal for Brembos and the stock pads, but it sounds like a freight train stopping when I use my brakes. This only happens in low speed braking (sitting in traffic, coming to a stop sign, etc.) and shows up once everything is warmed up. I don't have any vibration, the car doesn't pull, and outside of the squeal the brakes work great.
Attached Images

"Would you not like to be, sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free?"
RunRS9114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
I'd pull the pads and see if there's anything up with them..

Have they been burnished and bedded properly? Possible the orig dealer never did that during PDI and they're getting improper transfer

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483010
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
RunRS9114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
I'd pull the pads and see if there's anything up with them..

Have they been burnished and bedded properly? Possible the orig dealer never did that during PDI and they're getting improper transfer

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483010
I was thinking about pulling the pads over the weekend to see if there's anything noticeable going on. I was kind of hoping it would just go away, but no such luck.

My guess is they haven't been burnished and bedded properly. Thanks for the link to the other thread, I'll have to try this out on some of the back roads outside of town.

"Would you not like to be, sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free?"
Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Mr. Meh

No worries. If you end up wanting to dealer it. I've been using Chevy of Naperville and they're great. Ask for Pete or Jim at the service desk and Jeff is their Camaro/Corvette guy in the shop.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
RunRS9114

That's actually the dealership I bought my car from. They've been pretty great overall with a few smaller things I needed done. They had to bring this one down from Castle Chevrolet, so that's why I'm unsure of what was done during the PDI. Thanks for the contacts!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRS9114 View Post
That's actually the dealership I bought my car from. They've been pretty great overall with a few smaller things I needed done. They had to bring this one down from Castle Chevrolet, so that's why I'm unsure of what was done during the PDI. Thanks for the contacts!
You're welcome.. My Z is there now having the diff fluid flushed after the 1st track event and the NPP TSB applied to it.

They did my engine/diff and brake bleed pre-track as well.

I'll be bringing it back in early Oct for a track alignment since I just signed up for Road America w/ MVP Track Time.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
RunRS9114

That's really good to know. I've been contemplating tracking my SS. I never did with my RS and kind of regret it looking back. It's good to know they'd work with me on things around that. Thankfully I haven't had to worry about the NPP TSB yet, but I'm waiting for that to rear it's head.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRS9114 View Post
That's really good to know. I've been contemplating tracking my SS. I never did with my RS and kind of regret it looking back. It's good to know they'd work with me on things around that. Thankfully I haven't had to worry about the NPP TSB yet, but I'm waiting for that to rear it's head.
Yes, they're very accommodating with stuff like that. I brought them my own motor oil, diff oil, brake fluid and oil filter and they installed it all for me. Now, I made sure I brought in stuff that's right out of the Owner's manual, so I don't put them in a bad spot knowing I'm tracking the car with wrong spec fluids, etc.

Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-40 w/ Dexos2 listed
PF64 Filter
ACDelco (from TGMPG) 75W-90 LS Gear oil
Motul RBF 600 (not explicitly listed, but, by way of "high temp brake fluid") and it's such a well known and standard (along with Castrol SRF) that I'd be unlikely to get gripe from GM over a failure.

And I'm straight up with them that I'm going to track it, so they know why I'm bringing this stuff in, what it needs and to dbl check the load bearing and suspension stuff.

They seem to be familiar with it as they've told me they have other clients doing similar, so as long as you're on the level with the service dept guys, you shouldn't have an issue and they're aware of Chevrolet being on record with the whole "we'll fix it if you break it" line w/ OEM level SS, 1LE and ZL1 cars.. So, that's always nice.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Looks like porosity in the casting ,replace them don't turn them.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote