Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Pressure Washer

Looking to make the jump from hose/foam gun to pressure washer/lance. Unfortunately, I have never used a pressure washer before in my life for any purpose, so not really sure what I'm looking for besides what I've already found on other threads/forums.

Anyways, Lowes has this on sale for 25% off.

Based on reading, it looks like it's more than enough for doing cars, but I can't tell from the specifications if it requires a hose or can also draw from a static source. Can anyone else tell? Any other things I need to watch out for?
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
most pressure washers require you to hook up a garden hose to the house as a supply source. There is a small suction hose to draw soap from smaller bottles to mix with the high pressure or just apply with low pressure. Always use a fan patern tip to reduce the possibility of paint damage, hold the tip away from the vehicle, too close again paint damage. Start the engine, turn on supply water quickly. When stoping turn off engine and then supply quickly. You can burn up the pump if no supply water is present.
You can not use most washers by just hanging a hose in a lake, it must have pressurized supply.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have the Pressure Joe Sun Joe spx3000 that is carried in some of the lowes' stores, got mine off walmart site and had it delivered to the store. works pretty well, makes washing a snap once you get used to it. I rinse, Foam, rinse again, then if it needs a good thorough cleaning I do the traditional two bucket wash and pooling rinse. waffle weave dry, Metro dry crevices/wheels/grill. etc I don't think you need all that powerful of a machine to do washing of a car. most Electric washers for 100-200 dollars will probably do the job.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
I have the Pressure Joe Sun Joe spx3000 that is carried in some of the lowes' stores, got mine off walmart site and had it delivered to the store. works pretty well, makes washing a snap once you get used to it. I rinse, Foam, rinse again, then if it needs a good thorough cleaning I do the traditional two bucket wash and pooling rinse. waffle weave dry, Metro dry crevices/wheels/grill. etc I don't think you need all that powerful of a machine to do washing of a car. most Electric washers for 100-200 dollars will probably do the job.
Yeah, I may have stumbled upon a used electric one for $50. If so, I'm just gonna go that route - much smaller initial investment.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote