Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #15
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #16
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
So V4 isn't active over 55 MPH?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
It almost never activates above 55mph for me. I did see it flicker at 65mph today though, but really if I want to be in v4 mode I have to stay at 55mph or slower.
V4 kicks in based on the percentage of throttle you're giving the vehicle, it has absolutely nothing to do with the speed, it doesn't matter if you're going 5 MPH or 95 MPH, if you're giving it 15% throttle or less, it will remain on 4 cylinders until you give it more. More throttle means more acceleration which activates the rest of the cylinders. The same implies when moving at 80 MPH, if the terrain is flat or downhill, you won't need much throttle to maintain that speed therefor it will run on 4 cylinders even if you decelerate UNTIL you give it more throttle to either make up for the deceleration to maintain speeds or to accelerate.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
V4 kicks in based on the percentage of throttle you're giving the vehicle, it has absolutely nothing to do with the speed, it doesn't matter if you're going 5 MPH or 95 MPH, if you're giving it 15% throttle or less, it will remain on 4 cylinders until you give it more. More throttle means more acceleration which activates the rest of the cylinders. The same implies when moving at 80 MPH, if the terrain is flat or downhill, you won't need much throttle to maintain that speed therefor it will run on 4 cylinders even if you decelerate UNTIL you give it more throttle to either make up for the deceleration to maintain speeds or to accelerate.
Interestingly, braking also disengages V4 mode except when I feather the brake pedal, anything more than that and it's back in V6. I'm not sure why this is necessary or desirable, I don't feel too strong about it, but would be great to find out nevertheless.
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #18
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Interestingly, braking also disengages V4 mode except when I feather the brake pedal, anything more than that and it's back in V6. I'm not sure why this is necessary or desirable, I don't feel too strong about it, but would be great to find out nevertheless.
In certain situations it may be necessary to switch back since vacuum would be too low to run the brakes

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #19
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
In certain situations it may be necessary to switch back since vacuum would be too low to run the brakes

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the info.
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #20
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the info.
I'm not sure if that's the exact situation, but I believe it is, I think there is actually a vaccum pump on the truck engines to run the brakes on those.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #21
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
You have to manage it to save gas. I get 28-29 with convertible. On my 17 coupe I get over 30 constantly.

My screen is always is on last 50 miles mpg average so I can see when it switches to v4 and keep it there. This is only for hiway. Off hiway I dont pay attention to the mpg and just drive it
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #22
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
How do you enable AFM? I can't tell any difference. How do you know it's on?
What comes up on the dash?
NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
How do you enable AFM? I can't tell any difference. How do you know it's on?
What comes up on the dash?
Manual there is no AFM.
Auto it's self activated, just apply very light throttle. If you have the 4banger then you're already running on 4 cylinders so nothing to disable.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Manual there is no AFM.
Auto it's self activated, just apply very light throttle. If you have the 4banger then you're already running on 4 cylinders so nothing to disable.
I take it it's where it says v6 on the lower right,
I seen it for 1 second when I was coasting.
Obviously it isn't on to much for me since I get 14mpg in the city.
Attached Images

NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #25
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
I take it it's where it says v6 on the lower right,
I seen it for 1 second when I was coasting.
Obviously it isn't on to much for me since I get 14mpg in the city.
You only have 500 miles on the car, it takes alittle time. I was only getting 20 - 22 MPG until I got about 3,000 miles on her and she loosened up a bit and it gradually improved.

Another thing is if you're in the city and do alot of light to light driving, you won't see V4, it wont engage until you reach a fairly low and consistent RPM.

Freakish fuel mileage is possible on these cars if you know how to trigger and remain in V4 mode even while doing incredible speeds (80 - 90 MPH in 8th gear) - trick is anticipating the highways and how much throttle you'll need ahead of time versus driving reactively. Example, if you're coming down a steep hill and then see a steep INCLINE ahead, while you could easily coast down the hill, what I do is feather the gas just enough to remain in V4 mode while going down hill, build up speed and then use the INCLINE to slow me back down while not giving it any more fuel than I was giving it on the DECLINE. so it always remains on 4 Cylendars unless its absolutely necessary to switch back to 6... It got me 41 MPG once and even calculated it as I drove from Wythesville VA to Atlanta GA with only ONE QUARTER of a tank of gas...thats over 300 miles in a quarter of a tank of gas...which is insane.

I have actually since surpassed my 41 MPG run, my new best is 47 MPG and was done on my road trip between Atlanta and San Francisco. The image below shows my 41 MPG best and shows me obtaining it while still maintaining 75 MPH.

Driving in this manner isnt fun or sporty though, and your speeds will vary alot so I normally don't drive like this..its just something good to know that these cars are capable of doing it when trying to.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #26
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You only have 500 miles on the car, it takes alittle time. I was only getting 20 - 22 MPG until I got about 3,000 miles on her and she loosened up a bit and it gradually improved.

Another thing is if you're in the city and do alot of light to light driving, you won't see V4, it wont engage until you reach a fairly low and consistent RPM.

Freakish fuel mileage is possible on these cars if you know how to trigger and remain in V4 mode even while doing incredible speeds (80 - 90 MPH in 8th gear) - trick is anticipating the highways and how much throttle you'll need ahead of time versus driving reactively. Example, if you're coming down a steep hill and then see a steep INCLINE ahead, while you could easily coast down the hill, what I do is feather the gas just enough to remain in V4 mode while going down hill, build up speed and then use the INCLINE to slow me back down while not giving it any more fuel than I was giving it on the DECLINE. so it always remains on 4 Cylendars unless its absolutely necessary to switch back to 6... It got me 41 MPG once and even calculated it as I drove from Wythesville VA to Atlanta GA with only ONE QUARTER of a tank of gas...thats over 300 miles in a quarter of a tank of gas...which is insane.

I have actually since surpassed my 41 MPG run, my new best is 47 MPG and was done on my road trip between Atlanta and San Francisco. The image below shows my 41 MPG best and shows me obtaining it while still maintaining 75 MPH.

Driving in this manner isnt fun or sporty though, and your speeds will vary alot so I normally don't drive like this..its just something good to know that these cars are capable of doing it when trying to.
Wow this is very encouraging.........So far I am disappointed with the MPG in my V6 A8 but I only have 1600 miles on the car. I get only 24 mostly back roads with just a few stops. My experience is that if mileage is not good in the beginning it never will be. My C4 Corvette with a 5.7 gets better mileage on the same route and my WRX nets me 33. I purposely chose the V6 A8 over the SS for a very sporty car with excellent MPG and that it takes 87 octane versus 91 or 93, so I really hope I can get the mileage you are getting. Right now I am wishing I got a base SS with manual- I see posts where they are getting a real 28-29 MPG on the highway.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #27
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Anyone know if sport mode or touring mode will hold V4 mode the longest when highway driving?
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:52 PM   #28
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
Anyone know if sport mode or touring mode will hold V4 mode the longest when highway driving?
Touring Mode will hold V4 the longest in any situation.

Although V4 is still active in Sports Mode, it is less aggressive about switching to it.