Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
MosaicblackSS

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black SS 6M
Annoying dash rattle

So I love my car! She’s been a blast, other than this annoying dash rattle (and the wind noise caused by mirror).

I know it’s a long shot... but the dash vibration noise seems to be somewhere in the driver section, behind the steering wheel. Anyone have similar experiences, or guesses?
MosaicblackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
The chrome surround of the air vent at the farthest left side of the dash. Check to see if you can wiggle it. I found mine to be quite loose, causing a very audible vibration. However, it is not always loose and vibrating. It seems to vary a lot with temperature. I'm afraid to have the dealer look at it because I do not want them hacking into my dash. :(
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
There was a recent thread about a rattle from the trim around the radio. I have that - haven't had a chance to put some foam tape behind it, but if I put a finger on the trim going over rumble strips the rattle stops.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
MosaicblackSS

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black SS 6M
Good to know thank you both
MosaicblackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I had one that seemed to be low & behind the dash. Dealer couldn’t find it and wanted to rip into the dash to troubleshoot. I said no thanks, didn’t want the mess that would turn into. Instead I got underneath the car and within 5 minutes I found the offending piece. The aluminum (fuel?) tubes were lightly rattling against the frame up near the motor mount. A zip tie to move them over a fraction of an inch took care of it.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
I had one that seemed to be low & behind the dash. Dealer couldn’t find it and wanted to rip into the dash to troubleshoot. I said no thanks, didn’t want the mess that would turn into. Instead I got underneath the car and within 5 minutes I found the offending piece. The aluminum (fuel?) tubes were lightly rattling against the frame up near the motor mount. A zip tie to move them over a fraction of an inch took care of it.
Did your rattle sound intermittent and occur more frequently at higher speed (highway)?

I have what sounds like a bouncing plastic clip or maybe a wire harness, somewhere between the steering column and the left most AC vent, and it isn't surface level... its driving me nuts, and so far I haven't had any luck finding the source
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I have one on the bit of plastic right under the windshield, above the driver side vent.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Mosaicblackss- I too have that same exact noise your referring to in the same location. Been scratching my head for months trying to pinpoint what exactly it is though. 16’ mosaic black SS vert. M6.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
Did your rattle sound intermittent and occur more frequently at higher speed (highway)?

I have what sounds like a bouncing plastic clip or maybe a wire harness, somewhere between the steering column and the left most AC vent, and it isn't surface level... its driving me nuts, and so far I haven't had any luck finding the source
Only heard it when lugging the motor, at lower speeds.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
caveman01

Drives: 2016 NGM Camaro 2SS
I had an annoying rattle in the dash of my 2SS when accelerating and had it back to the dealer numerous times asking them to look at it. They eventually changed the exhaust on spec but that didn't help. They then thought it was the fuel lines hitting the frame and did a fix from a GM bulletin, but that didn't help either. I didn't want them to take a part the dash but I really hate rattles.

I landed up taking the Camaro to a different dealer for an oil change because my regular dealer couldn't fit me in when I had a day off. I mentioned the rattle but didn't expect them to have time to investigate. They found a bulletin saying that bolts on the shift linkage (have 6M) may come loose causing a rattle. They tightened the bolts and that eliminated the rattle. What I thought was a rattle in the dash was actually in the center console, go figure. Now all I hear when accelerating is the amazing sound of the engine/exhaust.

Bulletin 16-NA-078
1991 Acura NSX

Last edited by caveman01; 12-15-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add bulletin number
caveman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Yes, the air vent on the left made noises. It was not that loose, its just the types of material in contact made some type of noise. I fixed it by just spraying some 303 vinyl protectant that soften it up a little.

We have to just face it. This is a nice looking car with a powerful drive train but cheaply made interior and exterior. Poor quality control to keep costs down.

The left rear speaker area makes some noises. Mine is a convertible. A rattle noise comes from rear passenger side that I have finally tracked after weeks of looking for the source.

I am afraid this will be a cancer. As the car gets older the noises will grow. It will be an ongoing battle.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
I was finally able to isolate and fix the rattle noise I was hearing in my dash!

My rattle was actually coming from the hood release cable and/or one of the clips holding the cable to the body, under the hood. I taped it up with a couple strips of harness/fabric tape to hold it down tighter, and the rattle is no longer present! I am so happy and relieved to have it fixed.

Sorry to resurrect a semi-old thread, but I wanted to post an update in case anyone else was having a similar issue. Look under your hood along the driver side and see if the cable or clips are loose.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Nice and congrats! They can be annoying

I'm going to buy a louder exhaust haha

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
Mine is somewhere near the glove box.
The rattle disappears when I open the compartment but comes back as soon as I close it.
Tried foam, sound deadener and applied it around the contacting surface... still there.

It’s so annoying I smash the box several times during my commute.
Been fighting for a couple of months now. Ugh.