Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
iSpeed

Drives: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
I want to like it, but...

I've been a member here for awhile. Just never really had anything to say since I'm still a long way from owning a Camaro of my own. But after seeing the car debuted today, I felt that I had to say something.

First off, I absolutely love the Camaro. I've come so close so many times toward purchasing my own, but life got in the way. Despite what's happened, I still have hope to purchase one of my own soon. It is my dream car. The one I have to have. But, while I can appreciate the technical aspects of the ZL1 and especially love the LSA engine (it's worked for the CTS-V, another one of my dream cars), I think Chevrolet missed the mark with the styling for the ZL1. It appears they tried to balance style and functionality and tried to link it stylistically to the ZR1. While the additional aero parts work and add to the ZR1's beauty, I think it fails on the Camaro.

From the fog lights in the fascia, to the hood slats, the side skirts, and the POS parts-bin steering wheel from the Sonic and Cruze. Maybe it was because so many tuners, such as SLP and Hennessey, have already come out with add-ons that enhance the looks of the Camaro and Chevrolet wanted something different. I don't know. I can respect the effort put in by the Chevrolet design team but, at the same time, I don't particularly care for what they've done with the ZL1. I think SLP did a better job stylistically with their ZL1.

Please remember that this is just my opinion.
iSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
I agree!
I wouldn't trade my 2010 2SS/RS for the ZL1.
It just doesn't do it for me...
copper3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
I love everything on the ZL1, except for that steering wheel...
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I think people are underestimating the ZL1 a bit because of its subtle approach. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea on the outside, the performance aspect will likely blow people away. There's more to the ZL1 than an LSA and magnetic ride. A much beefier drivetrain awaits. Time will tell.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i do love the SLP cars.at least now we can have a supercharged car with a warranty.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
I agree as well, I think it's actually a bit on the ugly side as far as looks.

HOWEVER .. As far as performance, it should be amazing! So I still love it!

Remember, real beauty is on the inside!

And an LSA and a magnetic ride suspension are really beautiful!
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
I agree as well, I think it's actually a bit on the ugly side as far as looks.

HOWEVER .. As far as performance, it should be amazing! So I still love it!

Remember, real beauty is on the inside!

And an LSA and a magnetic ride suspension are really beautiful!
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
HBspeed

Drives: 05 M3, 75 911, 02 WRX, 64 Impala SS
The ZL1 reminds we quite a bit of the BMW 1 series M which was just announced. I was following that car's development as well until the unveiling in early December. While neither car is a failure in any sense, they both represent manufacturers playing it safe and going with proven existing components.

The issue comes down to price and future marketing. Both car's had so much potential to be absolute game changers, yet settled for being just good enough to one up the competition, leaving plenty of room for an improved version in the future. I have no doubt the ZL1 will crush the GT500 and the improved Challenger, but not to the point where especially Ford won't benchmark the ZL1 for their next top Mustang and surpass the ZL1.

By playing it safe, the ZL1 will be able to maintain a reasonable price point while leaving room for future superior models. Overall this is a win/win scenario where more people are able to afford the product, and consequently the next hot Camaro can more easily and economically one up this model. However in doing to, this ZL1 is not as special as it could have been and this SHOULD be reason why anyone complaining about such a cool car is doing so. It is not out of jealousy or spite (for me at least) but disappointment for what could have been if they had truly pulled out all the stops and settled for nothing less than the most ridiculous and legendary muscle/pony car ever to be built. I would hope we all would expect nothing less considering the legacy of the original ZL1 Camaro.
HBspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I like it, but I will keeping my 2010 now and Supercharging it, I was waiting for the Z28, what the hell happened, I thought the Z28 was announced for January 1st 2012.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
From the fog lights in the fascia, to the hood slats, the side skirts, and the POS parts-bin steering wheel from the Sonic and Cruze. Maybe it was because so many tuners, such as SLP and Hennessey, have already come out with add-ons that enhance the looks of the Camaro and Chevrolet wanted something different. I don't know. I can respect the effort put in by the Chevrolet design team but, at the same time, I don't particularly care for what they've done with the ZL1. I think SLP did a better job stylistically with their ZL1.

Please remember that this is just my opinion.
Looks are in the eye of the beholder, and you're entitled to feel whatever way you like to.

For my part, I think it looks gorgeous. The function of everything itself lends a certain beauty to my eyes, as well.

The aftermarket people do some good stuff -- but nothing has come close to comparing to factory, imo.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
iSpeed

Drives: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Looks are in the eye of the beholder, and you're entitled to feel whatever way you like to.

For my part, I think it looks gorgeous. The function of everything itself lends a certain beauty to my eyes, as well.

The aftermarket people do some good stuff -- but nothing has come close to comparing to factory, imo.
I'm glad for you that you like the ZL1 and that, to you, nothing comes close to what comes from the factory. There are a lot of people on the site who agree with you. I wish I could.

When word first broke about the car, I was just as excited about it as everyone else. I stayed away from this section of the forum to keep from seeing any rumors, photographs, or theories, and to keep my expectations low. In my experience, high expectations usually lead to disappointment. Unfortunately, I was still disappointed. I have also learned in my experience that what comes from the factory is hardly ever perfect. I wanted to be wrong about that opinion with the ZL1 when I first saw and read about it this morning. Unfortunately, my opinion was reaffirmed.

HBspeed has a good point about it all. That the disappointment comes from the fact that the ZL1 could have been so much more than what it is. I have no doubt that it will sell. There are enough people who like it for what it is, and enough people who like it just because it's a Camaro and, to them, all Camaros are great no matter what. But it is my hope that Chevrolet listens to those who are disappointed and will see that as a challenge to better their product for the next go-around.
iSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
I'm glad for you that you like the ZL1 and that, to you, nothing comes close to what comes from the factory. There are a lot of people on the site who agree with you. I wish I could.

When word first broke about the car, I was just as excited about it as everyone else. I stayed away from this section of the forum to keep from seeing any rumors, photographs, or theories, and to keep my expectations low. In my experience, high expectations usually lead to disappointment. Unfortunately, I was still disappointed. I have also learned in my experience that what comes from the factory is hardly ever perfect. I wanted to be wrong about that opinion with the ZL1 when I first saw and read about it this morning. Unfortunately, my opinion was reaffirmed.

HBspeed has a good point about it all. That the disappointment comes from the fact that the ZL1 could have been so much more than what it is. I have no doubt that it will sell. There are enough people who like it for what it is, and enough people who like it just because it's a Camaro and, to them, all Camaros are great no matter what. But it is my hope that Chevrolet listens to those who are disappointed and will see that as a challenge to better their product for the next go-around.
I'm curious....what more...could it be? It has, literally everything!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I have to agree that the SLP ZL1 Looks allot better.

IMO GM could have done better. (just saying)
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
I agree the styling is not my favorite but i still think it looks very nice.. not overly done, but a street machine ready to go.. quick question, what will slp be doing with the ZL1 name? Did gm take that name back or something?