Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Exclamation Current ZL1 Owner advice

Hey guys, I currently have a 2012 SS, and there is a 2013 ZL1 used for sale that I am looking at but could use some help from the current ZL1 owners.

The car is a 2013 with everything except a moon roof. It had 3,700 miles on it for $47k. Now the concern.....

It's modded, very. I was given the following list by my salesman per the previous owner:

Stainless works 2 in headers

High flow cats

Rotofab cold air intake kit

Injecor dynamics 850’s ( fuel injectors)

ATI balancer

18% overdrive pulley

68 5/8 in belt

Metco 50mm idle pulley

Solid isolator in blower snout

Apex motorsports oil catch can

Sct tune scanner

Tuned by jre performance - remote tune

There is also a light JRE cam on the car, but I wasn't given the specs.

All the above was installed by the owner. Which is what's got me the most nervous. From what the salesman told me, the precious owner was a GM master tech.

So, my question, what is everyone's feelings here? I planned next year to cam, heads, and rear end on my SS, but if I'm spending that kind of money, why not just upgrade to the ZL1? My concern is the quality of installations. Should I be nervous? Should this be enough to drive me away from the buy? I don't want to inherit someone else's problem. Also, it was sold because the owner was getting a new house and needed to "shed some toys". Or should I be comfortable that the owner was a master tech?

Finally, and maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't the timing chain and oil pump had been done when the cam was done? Or is the stock ZL1 parts adequate?

Please help. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I would stay away from it. You can find a none modded ZL1 for that kind of money easily. Then you would still have a factory warranty, even on the track. They are crazy to try and sell a modded car for that. Mods only hurt blue book value. Keep shopping.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'd always wonder about the mods and workmanship. For that amount of money I believe I'd look for a stock car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Swacer

The one thing is this. To make my car anywhere close to a ZL1 from it's current state, it cost more than if I was to just the trade in cost of mine (to balance my payments) for that car (already modded). To take a stock ZL1, and then to mod it to where I would like it, is even more than this modded car. Know what I mean?

To get a stock ZL1, and start over, I'm not sure if it is worth it money wise to me and I would then just keep my SS. unless it was like $41k.

For a modded car like this, should I try to drive them down further? And I agree, the workmanship worries me. I have inquired of the owner was a member here so I could speak with him.

Last edited by Swacer; 07-05-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
dtwolcot2

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
If you can do this type of work you could get a deal. Put a vacuum gauge on it before you buy it. If it checks out you could pull the parts installed already to check the previous work. Then maybe get it dyno tuned. Then youre biggest worry would be tranny and rear end.

If you can't do this type of work you could get someone who knows what they are doing to take a look at it.
dtwolcot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Swacer

I don't personally know how todo this.

Do you really think the dealership let me take the motor apart though? I would think they would treat that as a "your problem" thing.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Sounds like you've given it thought and made your mind up. I think you're right to look for the previous owner on this forum. You might try the "Build" section if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post
Sounds like you've given it thought and made your mind up. I think you're right to look for the previous owner on this forum. You might try the "Build" section if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't say my mind is made up. I love my SS, so until I clear up all uncertainty, I'm not sure at all

I did find the previous owner by looking at the VIN list and kindly PM'd them. Hopefully I can hear something back.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I would have to have some more knowledge on the install and quality of work to feel confident. also wonder how many miles on it since modding? who tuned?

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I obviously think a little differently than the "stock" guys but I would rather have the mods already and save me from paying for upgrades.

Personally I don't trust anything a car salesman says. If they are talking they are probably telling lies. The chances of a GM master mechanic purchasing a JRE remote tune seems kind of slim to me. Nothing wrong with Ted's tunes but I would think a master mechanic could tune the car himself.

If you mod your SS or you buy this car you are going to want to have a good mechanic's phone number saved on your phone. I would say find your mechanic now and ask him if he will look at and dyno tune the ZL1 if it needs it. Then tell the dealership that you want to have another mechanic look at the car. If they won't let you take it to your guy forget it. The tune in the car may be perfect. A good tuner will be able to look at everything and give you their opinion.

You don't need to change the timing chain, the oil pump, the transmission or the rear on any ZL1. Those parts are good stock.

I live a lot further south but that part list screams high intake temps to me if there are no supercharger cooling upgrades. Then again it depends on how hard you run the car. I would try to talk them down some more but the car seems to be a heck of a deal. It may dyno 600-650whp as it sits. My car was modded when I bought it and I got it cheap.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
The chances of a GM master mechanic purchasing a JRE remote tune seems kind of slim to me. Nothing wrong with Ted's tunes but I would think a master mechanic could tune the car himself.
Why? What does turning a wrench have to do with properly calibrating a car?

OP......if the car was owned by a Master Tech who is a member of this site, search all of their posts.
And hope they return your PM.

Sounds like you might get a hell of a deal here.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If I was a first time buyer for the ZL1 and had plans to up the HP on one after say a year and I found the car you are looking at I would probably buy it,after I got them down on that price because it is a little to much. BUT,the only way I would is if I could either get the dealer to stand behind it with a warranty for at least 6 months to a year OR take it to someone who knows these cars and look at the tune and have them check it out. Only after I was comfortable enough with what I have had checked out then I would make an offer to the dealer.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
If this is the one at Cochran, we talked a guy out of it the other week. There were too many unknowns, the factory warranty is gone and they didnt want to negotiate on price.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by white ZL1 View Post
Why? What does turning a wrench have to do with properly calibrating a car?

OP......if the car was owned by a Master Tech who is a member of this site, search all of their posts.
And hope they return your PM.

Sounds like you might get a hell of a deal here.
Good point, when I think of a good mechanic I always think of guys that know how to problem solve with the tune but I guess if you only work for GM on stock cars you never have to adjust the tune on anything.

I think that is a very good price for any ZL1 with 3700 miles. I consider the mods a plus myself but would negotiate from the point of view that they are a liability and the warranty is gone. They will tell you the factory warranty is still good on all parts that have not been changed or affected by the changes. (this is good) The only thing that is left under question is the drivetrain. And frankly I would not worry about that too much. Not too many people have blown the motor on a ZL1 with a lot more modifications than what you are taking here.

I agree that it looks like it is going to be a good deal for someone....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote