Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-20-2024, 04:48 PM   #1
PW0525

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Do stock rear wheels work on the front

Are the stock rear wheels and tires able to be used in the front? Wondering if I can buy some wider rear wheels with tires on marketplace and put the stock rears in the front and have a wider setup for a track day.
PW0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:28 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PW0525 View Post
Are the stock rear wheels and tires able to be used in the front? Wondering if I can buy some wider rear wheels with tires on marketplace and put the stock rears in the front and have a wider setup for a track day.
Yes, they will work just fine. If you follow through with this, get 10.5-11.0" rear wheels and use 305/30/20 or better yet, 315/30/20 tires.

I will say, though, that stock SS runflat tires are pretty crappy, I wouldn't want to spend even more money on them to match the now wider fronts (if they're even available in these wide sizes), and mixing tires is not the best idea, so you may want to bite the bullet and get a separate full SS 1LE wheel/tire setup for the track

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:20 PM   #3
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I've been looking at this too, as I actually LIKE my stock 56R wheels, but want bigger tires. If I'm not mistaken, and I might be, but the stock REAR wheel with a 275 tire, will sit about .5" farther inboard than a stock FRONT 1LE wheel with a 285, due to the offset difference. +39 vs. +20. I'll point out that I don't know if that would cause an issue, but it sure FEELS like you'd be getting close to the limit of what would fit.

The 275/35 stock tire will also be just under .5" taller radius than a stock 285/30 on the 1LE.

A 1" bolt on spacer will put that stock SS REAR set up, (on front) dead nuts even on the OUTSIDE compared to the stock 1LE front wheel, and about .5" LESS width on the inboard side. It DOES go taller, as I mentioned due to the 35 series sidewall, but shouldn't be an issue. ...I have a great diagram I made up....lemme find it.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:35 PM   #4
Abubaca

Here's a diagram of what I've been working on. Lots of different combos worked up, but these are the two in question. A stock SS REAR wheel on the FRONT, shown in BLUE....compared to a stock 1LE FRONT wheel, shown in green. I chose the 1LE because we know it fits. These should be accurate to the millimeter unless I've entered data wrong. Black dotted line shows the mounting surface. Colored dotted vertical lines show the centerline of that respective wheel. While the shoulder profile of each tire are obviously not accurate, the width and profile/overall diameter are again accurate to the millimeter. I think.

Not suggesting anyone should or should NOT use spacers, but I'm cool with it. FWIW, I was gonna either find another set of wheels and cram a 295/35 on that rear wheel for the back, OR.....widen the front from 8.5 to whatever I want! Issue with widening though is again you either run a spacer, OR....stick with a 295, which kinda would defeat the purpose of widening in the first place. Finding another rear set of wheels seems to make the most sense.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2024, 08:02 PM   #5
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Here's a diagram of what I've been working on. Lots of different combos worked up, but these are the two in question. A stock SS REAR wheel on the FRONT, shown in BLUE....compared to a stock 1LE FRONT wheel, shown in green. I chose the 1LE because we know it fits. These should be accurate to the millimeter unless I've entered data wrong. Black dotted line shows the mounting surface. Colored dotted vertical lines show the centerline of that respective wheel. While the shoulder profile of each tire are obviously not accurate, the width and profile/overall diameter are again accurate to the millimeter. I think.

Not suggesting anyone should or should NOT use spacers, but I'm cool with it. FWIW, I was gonna either find another set of wheels and cram a 295/35 on that rear wheel for the back, OR.....widen the front from 8.5 to whatever I want! Issue with widening though is again you either run a spacer, OR....stick with a 295, which kinda would defeat the purpose of widening in the first place. Finding another rear set of wheels seems to make the most sense.
I don’t recommend going over a 1/4” with wheel spacers, but that’s just my little engineering brain saying don’t do it with a performance perspective.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:42 PM   #6
Abubaca

Quote:
I don’t recommend going over a 1/4” with wheel spacers, but that’s just my little engineering brain saying don’t do it with a performance perspective.

Well I'm not recommending ANYTHING! LOL, -but I'm not talking about a passive spacer sandwiched between the hub and wheel. I'm talking about the spacer bolting on to the hub, and the wheel bolting on to the spacer. You're not really moving the wheel, you're simply taking up the offset space. There's minimal weight, but the 1LE wheel is bigger and probably weighs about the same as the cast SS rear wheel, AND it has a heavier tire with more grip. No added strain to steering or suspension. If you REALLY pushed the car hard, and had cheap garbage studs....I dunno, THAT might not a good idea, but overall this concept is pretty tried and tested.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:15 PM   #7
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Well I'm not recommending ANYTHING! LOL, -but I'm not talking about a passive spacer sandwiched between the hub and wheel. I'm talking about the spacer bolting on to the hub, and the wheel bolting on to the spacer. You're not really moving the wheel, you're simply taking up the offset space. There's minimal weight, but the 1LE wheel is bigger and probably weighs about the same as the cast SS rear wheel, AND it has a heavier tire with more grip. No added strain to steering or suspension. If you REALLY pushed the car hard, and had cheap garbage studs....I dunno, THAT might not a good idea, but overall this concept is pretty tried and tested.
That’s what a horribly grotesque spacer is, you have to start adding mechanics to the equation, mass changes inertia which changes factory engineering no?
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:16 AM   #8
Abubaca

I think on paper you're 100% correct. I think in practice, the difference are often so minimal, you'd never notice...-especially in this case. I'm not one to say "I know a guy", but sooooo many people have run these spacers, on so many different applications, many DO in fact push the boundaries of what you and I might call a good idea! Big lifted trucks, track cars, etc. etc. Enough to where I wouldn't worry.

BUT....to each there own. I do understand the concern.