Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
drive train loss hp

is there anyway or mods that reduce the loss of hp to whp like a carbon fiber driveshaft but i belive thats just weight.
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Rotational weight is where you loose horsepower. a lighter driveshaft will actually give you better numbers because the engine isn't working as hard to turn a heavy driveshaft. At least that's how it was explained to me. The more rotational mass you can loose the quicker you will be. Cut weigh in the rotating assembly before UN-sprung weight. But on a V6 I wouldn't worry too much about it, no offense but unless you plan on making huge power numbers your wasting money.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Lighter wheels.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
I'm planing on making 600whp
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
That is at least twin turbo territory with loads of boost if even that is doable with those.....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
If this is the case, a carbon driveshaft is very near the bottom of your shopping list.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Plan on spending almost as much as your parents paid for the car.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
Davidd_SS

Drives: LSX FTW
Quote:
Not worth it imo. save up and get yourself an SS or ZL1 that's worth putting money into. not to be a douche but even turbo v6's are a joke not only engine work, but suspension, drivetrain work as well. you'll be into it way more than the car is worth. but to each its own
Old 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
As stated above, rotational weight is the best way to eliminate some loss of horsepower to the wheels. Lighter harmonic balancer, lighter drive shaft(s), and lighter wheels/tires are good places to start. Then of course manual transmissions have less powertrain loss than automatics, again less to turn. If you're looking for the quickest, best bang for the buck rotational weight reduction go with wheels and a new balancer. You're thinking right with the drive shaft, but that will cost a lot of money and yield less power than reducing the other weight areas.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
If this is the case, a carbon driveshaft is very near the bottom of your shopping list.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidd_SS View Post
Not worth it imo. save up and get yourself an SS or ZL1 that's worth putting money into. not to be a douche but even turbo v6's are a joke not only engine work, but suspension, drivetrain work as well. you'll be into it way more than the car is worth. but to each its own
It's definitely not for everyone but I wouldn't call a turbo v6 a joke. ...and you probably wouldn't either after you ran mine.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
Rotational weight is where you loose horsepower. a lighter driveshaft will actually give you better numbers because the engine isn't working as hard to turn a heavy driveshaft. At least that's how it was explained to me. The more rotational mass you can loose the quicker you will be. Cut weigh in the rotating assembly before UN-sprung weight. But on a V6 I wouldn't worry too much about it, no offense but unless you plan on making huge power numbers your wasting money.
Lighter wheels will have a much larger effect on rotating weight than the driveshaft.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
That is at least twin turbo territory with loads of boost if even that is doable with those.....
It is not. A simple super charger will get 600 rwhp. Twin turbos is in the 900 range and up.

Lowing rotational mass will help a very small amount with the numbers. It helps with the feel. Lighter rotational mass means the car revs up faster and takes of faster.

Lightend: Flywheel, Clutch, wheels, brakes, crankshaft, pistons and such.

600 rwhp is pretty easy in an LS with a vortech super charger, headers, fuel pump and fuel injectors. You can get to 700 with a cam on top of all that. I have a dyno sheet to prove it for anyone who wants to argue. As long as 598 rwhp counts as 600.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
wait... he has at V6.... and wants that power.... Dude save your money and buy a V8.

Forget everything I said. V6 are a total waste of money if you want that power. Will cost $15k or more to get to 600 rwhp on a V6 and the motor will be at its limit. For half that you can by a V8 car.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote