Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2024, 03:41 PM   #15
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
A good rule of thumb these days is first brake job change the pads, the second set pads change the rotors and rebuild the calipers and flush the brake fluid. I don't replace calipers anymore because aftermarket calipers are junk and they will rust and rebuilding is easy and 1/10th of the cost Two sets of pads should last at least 100-120k miles unless you are really hard on the brakes. Those of us who have the 6 piston brembo will normally change out the rotors when they become heat cracked from tracking.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:36 PM   #16
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
If you have an SS or ZL1 you almost have to rebuild the calipers when/if it comes time and they start to leak or malfunction. Especially if you paid extra for the painted calipers. There’s no way you can install generic/third party/aftermarket calipers on a car that has the factory painted ones like mine unless you’re a complete dork. You need to not only make sure you buy brand new OEM GM Camaro/Brembos but that they’re the matching color for all your brakes.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:25 AM   #17
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoppa09 View Post
I took my Camaro to Firestone Saturday to have to front tires replaced. I get call a hour and half later oh just so u know your front brake pads are in dire need of replacement. If u would like us to proceed it basically came to $700. I told her hard pass on that i watched some youtube videos to see whats involved in changing them. Im mechanically inclined so i swung by Walmart and picked up a punch set all i was lacking and ofcourse pads. Removed both sets and they still had plenty of material left on them. They tried to take me for a ride.

My life experience is that any Firestone outlet is a pack of thieves trying to upsell anything for the almighty dollar. My experience is over thirty years old, and I've never gone back. We had a Goodyear dealer who tried this on some of our fleet vehicles, but as the fleet manager, I set him straight. He backed off trying to sell us unnecessary services.

Good luck going forward!

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote