Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
mudwheel57
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 camaro 2LS
cold air

I purchased a SPECTRE CAI awhile back and for the life of me I can't see the advantage to buying a high dollar unit other than maybe looks. I have put this unit through some hard throttle and high speed runs and it performs just fine.
Attached Images

mudwheel57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
failshift
Banned

This is why
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdJtOecMrpA

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
SLP supercharged 2013 SS/RS 1LE VR
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
565hp/560tq @8.6psi
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Yikes!
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I'm a CAI, Inc. man myself. Don't want any plastic intake tubes on my car. Also, with enclose and insulated air box and the Apex air scoop addition, there is an absolute minimum amount of leakage and engine bay (super hot) air being fed to the engine. The cooler the air the better.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I'm a CAI, Inc. man myself. Don't want any plastic intake tubes on my car. Also, with enclose and insulated air box and the Apex air scoop addition, there is an absolute minimum amount of leakage and engine bay (super hot) air being fed to the engine. The cooler the air the better.

What he said. Plus they just look sexy

Old 05-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
What he said. Plus they just look sexy

That they do failshift, that they do
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
That was staged by plugging the intake, so fake, but yes, reinforced silicone is better (slightly) than rubber.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
That's a heck of a bend
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
+1
That's my setup, CAI Inc, Apex race scoop mod and ported TB. YES you can tell the difference.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
+1
That's my setup, CAI Inc, Apex race scoop mod and ported TB. YES you can tell the difference.
+2... it doesn't get any better.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
camaro.11

Drives: 2011 camaro IOM
mudwheel57, i couldn't agree with you more, i have the same intake for over 4 years now and never had a problem. but if you don't buy well known name brand products someone here will give you a hard time and be negative about it.
camaro.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
thephoenix

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 2LT
I had a Spectre on a past car and the build quality was so poor that I had to get rid of it. The filter had gaps in it that I could see through and the reducer was so cheaply made I just did not trust it.

My brother-in-law had a Spectre and a metal plate INSIDE the filter that was glued in place let go and got sucked into his turbo doing a lot of damage. Spectre (to their credit) paid him $800 for the turbo.

I don't trust cheap crap on my car. I got a cheap LS intake system on my car because I like the build quality of the aluminum piping, nice welds and excellent silicone bend- but I use a high quality Injen filter with it because I didn't like the cheap filter.

Spectre isn't crap because they are less expensive. they are crap because they make shoddy equipment. I'm all for saving money and cheap equipment can be just as good as expensive equipment but sometimes cheap shit is just shit that's cheap.
thephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:56 AM   #13
spyder

Drives: 2010 V6 | M6
If you don't get enough power or whistles out of your Cold Air Intake then try adding a "scoop". Example: http://www.apex-speed.com/apex-motor...op-051411.html

I went to a body shop and he was able to follow the provided instructions in order to set it up properly for me. I noticed a significant amount of increase in power and the sound of the intake was better with improved air flow. If you rely a lot on your windshield wiper fluid then this mod is not for you. The new fluid reservoir is pretty small but works for me.

- They call it the black panther.

2010 Camaro LLT (sold)
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2011 Nissan Armada 4WD Platinum
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #14
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
If you don't get enough power or whistles out of your Cold Air Intake then try adding a "scoop". Example: http://www.apex-speed.com/apex-motor...op-051411.html

I went to a body shop and he was able to follow the provided instructions in order to set it up properly for me. I noticed a significant amount of increase in power and the sound of the intake was better with improved air flow. If you rely a lot on your windshield wiper fluid then this mod is not for you. The new fluid reservoir is pretty small but works for me.

It takes 10min to do the install. It is soooooooo easy.