Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Superjoe

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Anyone declined factory warranty when buying new?

I had never really heard of such a thing until someone on here posted about saving $1700 or so by turning down the factory warranty.

The only reason I would consider it is because the new SLP TVS 2300 system can be bought with a 5 year powertrain warranty. If I were going to go that route it would make sense to dump the factory warranty if they will let me.

Which I hope they don't because I really shouldn't be spending that money, ha
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Never head of having the option of doing that.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
I have never heard of this either.
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
What if your windows, dash lights, heater/AC...etc, stop working? Those won't be affected by voiding your powertrain warranty. I would keep your warranty in case these type items pop up.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
I think you're talking about the mfgr extended warranty. Don't honestly think you can reject the new car warranty, all you can do is turn a blind eye to it and start mods.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I don't think it's possible. at a minimum, the Feds require warranties on things like emissions and seatbelts. I'm pretty sure there is also a minimum warranty required by the government, a year and so many miles I think.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Superjoe

Ah maybe I misread what they were saying. Just as well, that keeps me from jumping into a supercharger that I don't need.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjoe View Post
Ah maybe I misread what they were saying. Just as well, that keeps me from jumping into a supercharger that I don't need.
Yes you do.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Suppose if this is true......................you'd be on the hook for any of the many other engine accessories like the AC compressor, Alternator, Cooling System, Fuse Blocks, Fuel Pump, ie. as well, related Fasteners, Hoses, Belts, Pulleys..even the battery.

Then theres the other electrical and computer systems, including the Ignition, AirBag's, PCM, BCM and there connectors, wiring, ie. Not to mention anything on the inside of the car that you look at, touch or sit on...........Seats, dash, carpet, door trim, glass. Then theres the mirad of parts under the bottom of the car including the suspension, wheels, tires, sensors, convertors, mufflers, fuel cell, ie. What about the paint and rust protection portions of the Warranty.

Obviously you'd have to have Bill Gates credit line if something went wrong.

Its hard to imagine anyone foolish enough to want to accept the risks. If this were true.....could you imagine how many people would be lined up to try and collect.....on lets say, a mishap directly related to a poorly engineered or manufactured part.........like a batch of hundreds of thousand of fracturing lug nuts. Someone buys their car void of a warranty and then trades or sales the items to another party, who installs the faulty item on their car. This would expose them to being a party to a tort claim. Certainly a manufacture of the faulty part would be exposed to Billions in personally injury cases. Its a insane idea..........................Whether or not the builder of the car offered buyers no warranty discounts.

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 01-13-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
I think you can decline the chevy buy-back option, where you have the chance to sell the car back to chevy if you aren't full satisfied. I think you only get a $500 discount though!
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Superjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Suppose if this is true......................you'd be on the hook for any of the many other engine accessories like the AC compressor, Alternator, Cooling System, Fuse Blocks, Fuel Pump, ie. as well, related Fasteners, Hoses, Belts, Pulleys..even the battery.

Then theres the other electrical and computer systems, including the Ignition, AirBag's, PCM, BCM and there connectors, wiring, ie. Not to mention anything on the inside of the car that you look at, touch or sit on...........Seats, dash, carpet, door trim, glass. Then theres the mirad of parts under the bottom of the car including the suspension, wheels, tires, sensors, convertors, mufflers, fuel cell, ie. What about the paint and rust protection portions of the Warranty.

Obviously you'd have to have Bill Gates credit line if something went wrong.

Its hard to imagine anyone foolish enough to want to accept the risks. If this were true.....could you imagine how many people would be lined up to try and collect.....on lets say, a mishap directly related to a poorly engineered or manufactured part.........like a batch of hundreds of thousand of fracturing lug nuts. Certainly a manufacture of the faulty part would be exposed to Billions in personally injury cases. Its a insane idea..........................Whether or not the builder of the car offered buyers no warranty discounts.
I was only referring to the powertrain warranty, not the separate 3yr/36000 mile warranty for the rest of the car. And the only reason I was considering it was because SLP offers an identical (as far as I can tell) powertrain warranty if you get their supercharger and don't do anything else to the car.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjoe View Post
I was only referring to the powertrain warranty, not the separate 3yr/36000 mile warranty for the rest of the car. And the only reason I was considering it was because SLP offers an identical (as far as I can tell) powertrain warranty if you get their supercharger and don't do anything else to the car.
Are they seperate ? I think not. Besides your original scenario never outlined which portion of the warranty, you'd like to avoid paying for...........Sounds like your looking to have the cake and icing both, without subsidizing the cost of the icing. Never gonna happen......................The manufacture would liquidate over night. The powertrain portion up to 36,000k is simply a portion of the entire warranty, that covers everything up to that point..............it isn't a extention of any warranty up to that point. The bumper to bumper portion is excluded at the 36,000 mile mark. It is at that point the powertrain portion continues on until 100,000 miles or 5 years, which ever comes 1st.

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 01-13-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
You have to have the SLP SC installed by them in NJ or an approved shop to get their warranty. (optional at additional cost)

"WARRANTY NOTE: Installation MUST BE done by a GM dealer, an SLP technician at our Toms River, NJ facility, or any SLP authorized installer.

NOTE: SLP self warranted, not an outside or 3rd party warranty.

Contact SLP at (732) 349-2109 for a complete list of authorized installers. "

http://www.slponline.com/inst/SCWarrantyDeclaration.pdf
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
nshuff

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sene View Post
I think you can decline the chevy buy-back option, where you have the chance to sell the car back to chevy if you aren't full satisfied. I think you only get a $500 discount though!
You are referring to a marketing program Chevrolet had a few months back, this is not an ongoing offer.
nshuff is offline   Reply With Quote