Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Would you accept a repaint of a brand new car?
Yes 35 20.96%
No 132 79.04%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
No but if that were my only option, the only way I'd accept a repaint would be if my guy was doing it...and he isn't cheap.

I'd also want the front and hood covered with Xpel because repaint chips easier.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Your only option is let GM fix it. If you do not like the fix apply for the lemon law in your state if you have one not all states do, Once you sign the ownership of the car or really your bank, GM's responsibility is to repair parts and labor for the duration of the warranty, not replace the car. Even under the lemon law they have the right to repair the car before you can evoke it. Some states they get 3 attempts to fix it, not exactly sure. Had a friend who did evoke the lemon law but halfway through he gave up and sold the car. After 2 yrs of filing papers with the court I think the lawyer bill was about $16,000.
jebus! that's a whole lot to pay for no progress. honestly, I voted no, but I changed my mind. I don't care if that devalues the car, I'm planning on keeping it for the long run. I would rather it just be fixed and repainted, and if that doesn't come out good, demand it gets rerepainted.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #17
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Netslave what state do you live in? In some states like Minnesota all the car has to be is 30 days out of service. And that includes waiting on on parts. Check your local Lemon Law
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
1968ss350

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS 350
mine has thin to zero paint on the jam between the door and fender but I'm fine with it. I don't look in there much and it's not a show car. I know it should be better but it's not. Who knows maybe future restoration experts will be looking at pictures of poorly painted jams from the factory and will actually attempt to duplicate this!

I cannot believe your hood and deck lid. and doors... and fenders... OMG SOOOOOO sorry! This is not acceptable!

Hyper Blue 2SS/6 speed, NPP, MRC, Nav, 5LQ 6 piston brakes, Black split spoke, Magnuson 2300 Heartbeat Supercharger, Flowtie upper grill
1968ss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Yes. Again, because you can get a better job than the factory and possibly add some things to the car you want for a little more of a custom job. Tom Henry Chevrolet did custom paint on my zero mile car and it is flatter and deeper than a most of the other cars I have seen my color.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
It depends on the quality of the paint job and would be subject to my inspection and approval. It would also depend on if anything else was wrong with the car. If it's just the paint that's the issue and it's done to my satisfaction then I would accept it. Any other problems in addition to the paint they can keep it.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #21
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Netslave what state do you live in? In some states like Minnesota all the car has to be is 30 days out of service. And that includes waiting on on parts. Check your local Lemon Law
20-30 days depending on what law would be used. Car was bought in South Carolina but car is tagged, titled, insured and we reside in North Carolina. Slight variations in the law as has been explained to us.

Here is the thing with the 20-30 days. There is no private shop we would trust that can do everything we have been told needs to be done to the car in 30 days. If GM wants some dealership to do it and they do a half axx job the car goes back for fixes. It won't take long for that 30 day clock to run out and we won't accept a car back with issues just because they are trying to beat the clock. Then GM is back at square one and the car is then in violation of the law. We aren't trying to be unreasonable, we just want the car we paid for. Others are getting replacements and not to belittle their issues but ours are just as significant or greater so we are just trying to figure out why all the half truths/bs from GM.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #22
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
Yes. Again, because you can get a better job than the factory and possibly add some things to the car you want for a little more of a custom job. Tom Henry Chevrolet did custom paint on my zero mile car and it is flatter and deeper than a most of the other cars I have seen my color.
I assume you let that dealer work on your zero mile car because their body shop had an excellent reputation in the area for their quality of work? Some places aren't so lucky and have shops known for rushed repair work done by unskilled labor. If Bakerstown was closer maybe that would be a good option.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I've painted a lot of sections on my cars before though it usually looked good I found if it's on the front bumper/hood/fenders it chips easier then it would from factory. And 5 years down the road it is usually easy to tell the sections that were painted.

This is just my experience.

I would not want to accept a repaint and if I did Would have to be perfect! I've spray painted for 15 years so I know what I'm looking for.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #24
586mx

Drives: 69 camaro
One thing to remember is this: All assembly plants completely submerge the whole body in a dip tank with hood, trunk, and doors installed. This is where your protection comes from. Repainting the color coat wouldn't effect the sheet metal protection. Doors are taken off after paint and assembled on another line. They get sequenced back to same body down line. I worked at an assembly plant.
586mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #25
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
If that were the ONLY issue with the car and I was able to pick a paint shop, then yes. If my car had multiple including a crappy paint job, and they wanted to multiply my misery by getting some half-ass job done on it then NO. I would demand a replacement car.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I know they have paint codes, etc., but that Black Mosaic is probably the hardest/worst color to match, re-apply, blend in, etc....I'm no painter, but I recall many 5thGen owners having paint issues with other "fussy" colors....

Probably only the factory has the right blend. Vendors will do their best, but I don't think it's a sure thing at all....It looks to me they picked the worst color to have to re-work...

Good luck...I just think any re-work by the dealer, outside body-shop, your own choice body and paint shop, will all struggle to make you happy. Again, go for a full car replacement as others have successfully done.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #27
Richie Carbone

Drives: My work van for now
Never. I would force them to buy it back.

Factory paint will be the most durable finish, once its repainted buy a so called high end body shop it will never be like it was when new. Then good luck if you have an issue with the repaint.

I regularly see work of high end body shops and IMO it is substandard at best. There will be issues with dye back, ( A.K.A. shrink) solvent pop, sanding marks, overspray and so on.

I'm ordering a 17 1LE, even if I order from an out of state dealer I will make sure to be there when it comes off the hauler and that I am the one to remove any protective material and do a thorough visual inspection with an LED light and my paint depth gauge. If there a ton of defects that I cannot correct with a paint correction detail, I will refuse the car and have them order another.

I will also be present during the PDI and make it known that the vehicle is not to be washed period.

Once it's home it will get a complete new car prep/correction if needed, a full body clear film wrap and a ceramic coating, wheels will be removed to be coated inside and out as well as the calipers. All work will be done by yours truly.

As part of my business I do new vehicle pre purchase inspections and I catch a lot of stuff most people would not.
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #28
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
It depends.

If I could pick the body shop, and it was a high end one...yes. As a good paint job from a top notch place will blow away anything GM could do on the assembly line. Better finish, no orange peel (they will wet sand), no possible missed spots, will be laid on better, etc, etc...

BUT, if I could not pick who was doing the work, and it was in their hands, no thanks. As they will just find the cheapest place that fits their needs. The difference between an average paint job and a top notch one on that car could easily be $5000+.
Agree 100%...the body shop that I do business with is one I would gladly have paint the car. If it was the lowest bidder, HELL NO.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro paint issue, general motors, gm customer service, gm paint issues, quality control