Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Krusial

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
LS7?

Ok, let me start by saying, I'm not a "gear head" by any means. I've never owned a car that I cared enough about until a couple weeks ago when I bought my 2013 2SS/RS L99. It is literally a dream come true for me at the age of 28 (camaro was my birthday present). So a lot of guys at work are telling me to get this thing supercharged and/or turbo'd. While the idea sounds good, I'd be more interested in a "bigger/better" engine all around. If I were to spend thousands of $ on this car...would it be better just to drop an LS7 in the thing? Could the stock auto tranny handle it? Overall does the LS7 have more potential than the LS3/L99? If I picked up a crate engine, would I have to change out anything else? (remember, not much of a "gear head" yet...still learning) What would be the pros and cons? I tend to prefer NA over SC...is the reason I bring up the question.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I think to 2014s will have the ls7 option. then supercharge that motor
www.tampatuning.com
Phil

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 03-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusial View Post
Ok, let me start by saying, I'm not a "gear head" by any means. I've never owned a car that I cared enough about until a couple weeks ago when I bought my 2013 2SS/RS L99. It is literally a dream come true for me at the age of 28 (camaro was my birthday present). So a lot of guys at work are telling me to get this thing supercharged and/or turbo'd. While the idea sounds good, I'd be more interested in a "bigger/better" engine all around. If I were to spend thousands of $ on this car...would it be better just to drop an LS7 in the thing? Could the stock auto tranny handle it? Overall does the LS7 have more potential than the LS3/L99? If I picked up a crate engine, would I have to change out anything else? (remember, not much of a "gear head" yet...still learning) What would be the pros and cons? I tend to prefer NA over SC...is the reason I bring up the question.

Thanks,
Matt
If you buy the crate engine, you might as well trade for a ZL1. That engine is EXPENSIVE! The stock tranny could not handle it either. The LS7 does not respond well to forced induction (hence why the ZR1 uses the 6.2 block) and you will be more limited in mods. However, the LS7 is one damn good engine. It doesn't need the mods or upgrades. If you really want a full engine swap, take a look at the LSX engines. They will be cheaper and will respond better to mods.
EDIT: looked at two websites, and they both had the LS7 for 17k...
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Krusial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
If you buy the crate engine, you might as well trade for a ZL1. That engine is EXPENSIVE! The stock tranny could not handle it either. The LS7 does not respond well to forced induction (hence why the ZR1 uses the 6.2 block) and you will be more limited in mods. However, the LS7 is one damn good engine. It doesn't need the mods or upgrades. If you really want a full engine swap, take a look at the LSX engines. They will be cheaper and will respond better to mods.
Okay, after a quick look at the LSX, I noticed it's cast iron...so I figure that'll weigh quite a bit more. Also, I'm not racing...I just want a more unique/badass camaro than the average joe. If I weren't using forced induction...would the LS7 suit my needs? I figure with the LS7 and a few bolt ons...I'd be right up there with a ZL1...and have a much more intimidating sound too. So the stock tranny really couldn't handle it? Could I get a bit more specifics on the reasons? I've heard the auto tranny can actually handle quite a bit of power.

Edit: I've seen the LS7 for $13k.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Trade for the ZL1...an engine swap would be silly.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Krusial

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Trade for the ZL1...an engine swap would be silly.
I don't want a ZL1..lol. I tend to prefer NA over SC...is the reason I bring up the question. As I mentioned in my first post.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Superjoe

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
The stock cam in the LS7 is pretty much a baby, so if money was no object, you could buy the LS7 crate motor for about $16000, throw in a cam and then pay to have it swapped in to your car. But whether or not you want to be N/A or FI, there are more economical was to do it than buying the LS7 crate motor.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
LS7 13k
Cam 3k
headers 1k
Exhaust 1.5k
Other little goodies - 2-3k

I assume you wouldn't be doing the work yourself so add 5-7k in labor.

So ultimately another 30 grand to get the car to ZL1 status. So you would have 60 grand in your SS. Resale value of that SS...maybe 45 grand.

There is a guy currently selling his '10 SS with the LS7 swap for 28k somewhere on here. Imagine the loss he is taking.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
TheBonfiggy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Could you by chance link that car with the ls7 swap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
LS7 13k
Cam 3k
headers 1k
Exhaust 1.5k
Other little goodies - 2-3k

I assume you wouldn't be doing the work yourself so add 5-7k in labor.

So ultimately another 30 grand to get the car to ZL1 status. So you would have 60 grand in your SS. Resale value of that SS...maybe 45 grand.

There is a guy currently selling his '10 SS with the LS7 swap for 28k somewhere on here. Imagine the loss he is taking.
TheBonfiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Krusial

This car will be in my hands indefinitely. The engine swap wouldn't be for 3-6 years atleast, well after the warranty is gone. The overall cost isn't the issue. The way I see it...once I do the engine swap...it's virtually a new car. In other words, I'm in no rush to make this happen, just curious if it's possible. When it does happen, it'll be a summer project done by myself and some friends. Investing 40k on my 2SS now and another 20k in 6 years is more manageable than the flat cost of a ZL1 all at once....not to mention I end up with a NA beast.

The question that hasn't been answered yet, can the stock auto tranny handle an LS7? if not, what are the specific reasons? which auto tranny would work?

I just want to add, I don't know why the cost of the operation was brought into this conversation. I never once asked if I could afford to do this. The goal of this post was to find out if it was possible and how much work would be needed.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Wow that's a fascinating read.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I prefer N/A engines over forced induction too. The LS7 would be a cool swap but you could get similar performance with bolt-ons for your L99.
A CAI, headers, exhaust, cam, and a tune would get you in LS7 territory....for less money.
BTW...yes, your 6L80 transmission will bolt to a LS7. Any LSx based engine can. However, it won't last long if you drive hard constantly. You will need to upgrade some parts in the trans to ensure it will be reliable.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #13
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I agree with LimaCharlie; just do work on your L99.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
I would also assume the gains would be minimal at best for the cost of throwing a whole new engine in your car.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote