Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
6th Gen Camaro "vs." Cadillac...

Maybe it's common knowledge but I can't help but think that with all the comparisons and discussions of Camaro and it's relationship to Corvette that perhaps now it's time to shift it more to Camaro as the little brother of Cadillac?

...Same "platform"....same powerplants? especially perhaps the 4 and 6 cylinders?....same handling?.....track comparisons and times?...

Just thinking this new gen will have more in common with Cadillac than Corvette...

...and for clues about the Camaro maybe Cadillac's builds and options are more of a key....

....Or more of a mix of all three??....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I would think Mixture of all three.

of the little i think i know, common points in all three:

LT1 / LT4
MRC
Transmissions I would guess go along with the engine.
All Bad A$$ cars

Common CTS-V to Camaro

Alpha Platform

I'm sure some of the knowledgeable folks can chime in.

but yeah, i think all three sharing major components.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Well the CTS seems like it is a good bit larger than the upcoming Camaro, so comparisons with the ATS are probably more appropriate. Since the ATS isn't available with the LT1 or the LT4, whereas the Camaro almost certainly will be, this makes them pretty different in terms of character. Of course, the 2.0 turbo and the 3.6L DI motors will be shared, so the more common versions of both are going to be pretty similar mechanically. I am very curious to see comparisons between the ATS-V and the Camaro 1LE.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I honestly have not read about any version of cts having same power plant as an expected camaro, until we hear about a lt4 (supercharged) in a Camaro. The new alpha is variable in size, ats smaller and I really hope the cts is bigger it just looks huge.

Ats is a "small" car for a different market. Ats v sounds cool but I'm not sure how many Camaro enthusiasts want the drive train. The out going ats seems nimble, something the outgoing Camaro is not, atleast not until a few simple mods. But to be frank I can't remember how my heavy chevy performed turning left and right without mods so I am a bad judge.
Can't imagine a Camaro competing with caddy in terms of "luxary" interior for whatever that word means anymore.
Some similarities in the alpha platform but I hope not to much for the size issue i stated earlier, I would agree with you maybe more of a all three (caddies, Camaro and vette) have similarities while still being different beasts. vette has the easy comparisons due to Camaro getting the drivetrains after it, handling i would still expect the Camaro being behind a smaller ats and just better overall vette
Old 01-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
I honestly have not read about any version of cts having same power plant as an expected camaro, until we hear about a lt4 (supercharged) in a Camaro. The new alpha is variable in size, ats smaller and I really hope the cts is bigger it just looks huge.
Admittedly, we haven't seen official engine choices for Camaro, but everything i've read points to LT1 / LT4

plus, seeing how the outgoing CTS-V and outgoing Camaro, both share the LSA...one could make a leap i suppose.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I am really curious to see if the Camaro gets the same engine as the ATS-V. The 3.6L v6 with a twin turbo producing 450 HP and 440 lbs of torque. On the lighter Alpha platform it seems like a good fit for the 2016 Camaro.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
The ATS has been tailored to have a 50/50 weight distribution. I don't expect to see that on the Camaro, so they will not likely feel the same driving. I believe we should expect to see similar straight line performance in terms of the 2.0T and V6. It's too bad the 2015 ATS didn't get the 8 speed auto, since that would give us a good idea what to expect. I would expect the features/options to look more like the Corvette than the ATS.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
The ATS has been tailored to have a 50/50 weight distribution. I don't expect to see that on the Camaro, so they will not likely feel the same driving. I believe we should expect to see similar straight line performance in terms of the 2.0T and V6. It's too bad the 2015 ATS didn't get the 8 speed auto, since that would give us a good idea what to expect. I would expect the features/options to look more like the Corvette than the ATS.
The hump couldn't fit it if I recall correctly. I wouldn't want a twin turbo v6 at the same performance of the lt1 if I could avoid it.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
The hump couldn't fit it if I recall correctly. I wouldn't want a twin turbo v6 at the same performance of the lt1 if I could avoid it.
Is there still talk about the ATS getting the 8spd? Last I checked they were still planning it so wonder how they will remedy the issue.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Why?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Why?
Why what exactly?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Why what exactly?
Why would the weight distribution not be 50/50?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Why would the weight distribution not be 50/50?
The LT1 is the biggest reason. V8 power means beefing up various parts throughout the car. Caddy spent a lot of effort getting the 50/50 in the ATS, do not think Chevy will be as concerned with it. It should be inline with the current 5th gen's distribution.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
The LT1 is the biggest reason. V8 power means beefing up various parts throughout the car. Caddy spent a lot of effort getting the 50/50 in the ATS, do not think Chevy will be as concerned with it. It should be inline with the current 5th gen's distribution.
In line with the current Camaro would be a HUGE fail on TEAM Camaro. This is essentially the same group of engineers that did the Z/28. The 6th Gen SS should be close in handling to the 5th Gen Z/28. The Z version of the 6th Gen should eat a Z/28 before running down V series luxury cars.

I am not cutting them any slack. They learned an enormous amount from the 10s to the 15s. No one in thee Camaro community should expect anything less than a quantum leap forward in all aspects of design, engine ring and performance. Having written that, I am sure that Al and TEAM Camaro have thee brand-x bench marks, including Cadillac and Corvette on a wall and plan to beat them all.

Last edited by JusticePete; 01-29-2015 at 08:03 PM.