Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 03-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Utvolman99

Drives: 2015 328xi
Need Help Choosing 2016 2SS vs. BMW 340xi

Hello all, first off, I understand this is a Camaro forum so I understand the responses will be biased.

I am shopping for a new daily driver. I think I have narrowed it down to a 2016 2SS, or a 2016 328xi I currently drive a 2015 328xi with a stage I tune. It is a very quick car but not so fast. The difference, as I see it, is that the little bimmer has a very flat torque curve with instant response (even though it's a turbo) almost anywhere you want it. With that said, it is dead even with my buddy's 2016 Camaro v6 in a race. I take him off the line, he pulls even by about 40 and we are nose to nose from there...

After driving the turbo 4 for about a year and a half, I am wanting more and looking to step up to big time power. I initially was not considering the SS and instead was looking at a 2015+ GT. However, I was very disappointed when I drove one and marked it off the list. Ironically there was an SS on the same lot and I loved the power and handling, so it's now under serious consideration.

Below I have listed my pros and cons for each and would like your input...

Camaro 2SS
Pros
- Monster power: The two I have driven A8 and M6 both felt like deep down they wanted to kill me but that was a good thing!
- Looks: The SS looks like sex on a stick! Just a beautiful car
- Sound: The NPP exhaust sounded evil. I love the "blat" sound the A8 makes between shifts at WOT. It's a thing of beauty!
- Comfort: I'm a big guy (6'3", 255lbs) and I thought the SS was really comfortable and the seat was supportive
- Gadgets: Even though the competition are both "luxury" cars, the SS has more standard with the 2SS than the others.

Cons
- I'm sure you have never heard this before but seeing out of this thing is nerve racking! I'm sure I would get used to it but damn!
- I live outside of St. Louis and we do have some winter weather. I would need to drive in snow occasionally
- My budget is in the $30 - $33K range, so I'm definitely looking for a 2016 which makes me worry about quality from a first model year of production
- I've read they can have paint issues which would bug me
- I'm worried I would be a cop magnet and get more unwanted attention from the fuzz than I would in the others

BMW
Pros
- Nice greenhouse with great visibility
- AWD for the snow
- They must measure HP differently in Germany as it is rated at 320 HP but the stock dyno results are in the 330 range. Which makes sense as it weighs 3,700 lbs and has a 0-60 of 4.4 sec (12.7 sec 1/4 mile)
- Super easy to modify. A $550 JB4 tune brings the hp and torque at the wheels up to 380 (for each) and these cars are putting down 12.2s at the strip
- I think the BMW with a JB4 tune would win a street race more times than not against a 2SS with $550 worth of mods

Cons
- Looks: It looks like every other three series that are normally driven by 60 year old women
- Power: While this is truly a fast car, it just doesn't have that monster power feel
- Cost of ownership: It's a Bring My Wallet, everything that may go wrong is expensive
-Sound: The exhaust is pretty tame. Just a moderate burble

I'm sure you guys know what a 340xi looks like but I'll attach a pic for reference.

Utvolman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
MrImSoFly

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
If you are talking daily driver and looking for comfort then the BMW is something i would chose. I hear that MRC is great for camaro if you are daily driving so that might be something to consider as well. 2016 camaros have been known for a lot of issues being an introductory year, so if you consider that you might want to search for certified used, or a very good extended warranty. I say go with what you feel most comfortable behind the wheel in. Neither car is cost effective in the long run so pick your poison
MrImSoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
rdoggy

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I actually went from a 2015 328xi to a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE. I didn't drive it in the snow though so I can't report on that. But the rest, I love it, don't regret it a second. It's rougher on bad roads, but other than that, I enjoy it more. The Recaro seats I prefer over the sport package seats in the BMW, but that is preference of course.
3/31/17 3000 Status TPW 5/1
4/24/17 3400 Status TPW 5/1
5/03/17 4200 Status Built!!!
5/05/17 4300 Status
5/15/17 4B00 Status
5/17/17 5000 Status
5/19/17 6000 Status
rdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
Utvolman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImSoFly View Post
If you are talking daily driver and looking for comfort then the BMW is something i would chose. I hear that MRC is great for camaro if you are daily driving so that might be something to consider as well. 2016 camaros have been known for a lot of issues being an introductory year, so if you consider that you might want to search for certified used, or a very good extended warranty. I say go with what you feel most comfortable behind the wheel in. Neither car is cost effective in the long run so pick your poison
The potential issues with the 2016s does have me nervous. I need to do some more research to see what the actual issues are. I was hoping that buying used with around 20K miles would mean most of the issues were fixed on that particular car.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
I went from a '14 328i Sport to my '17 2SS. My 2SS is better equipped and is as comfortable cruising as the BMW, and the 2SS was cheaper! So you are being smart going used with both. But I would seriously be worried about BMW being out of warranty. There's a reason 3 out of 4 are leases.

As far as visibility, it's a non-issue after a month driving the Camaro.

As far as BMW power ratings, no secret BMW doesn't use SAE numbers. So they just put whatever number they want on it. My N20 was rated at 240hp, but plenty of dynos showing it making that at the wheels.

Also don't buy in to times you might see on the internet for the 340i, example:

C&D: 13.3@104mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ve-test-review

M&T: 13.6@105mph (not an xi)
http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-3...ear-contender/

Pretty much a full sec or more difference in the 1/4 between it and a SS. Even with JB4 it won't pull on an experienced SS driver, especially one with an A8.

You pretty much nailed all the things Cons I have on the BMW. And no matter what the image will persist and people will be assholes to you. That was consistently my experience. Is it a better DD, definitely....but so is a Camry or Accord.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
These cars are in different categories. One is a sports/muscle powerhouse fit for carrying 2. The other is a powerful smooth family sedan with respectable handling.

Each of these can serve as a decent daily driver depending on your needs. If you want storage/cabin space and a nice smooth ride with good performance, the choice is clear. If you want great handling and more power, and can deal with a stiffer suspension, the choice is also clear.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I just came from a 4-series X-drive.

The suspension is terrible.

That should end it right there. There is no x-drive "sport" suspension. You will hate it. I put a lot of $$$ into the 4-series suspension to make it acceptable. The steering is pretty bad too, you can throw a bunch of money into these cars to make them acceptable, but a modern camaro is a much better sports-car/chassis than a modern BMW 3/4 series. BMW has lost their edge in this area. There isn't even a mechanical LSD in those BMWs. The interior isn't much different IMO, many ergonomic functions are very similar. I did like the active cruise control, but I got the SS 1LE to go back to shifting gears, which eliminates this function. If you want a car to drive people, the 3/4 is ok, the 3.0 turbo engines are monsters as far as torque throughout the range and dynoing like you say, but if you want to drive a car, the SS is undoubtedly a better choice IMO.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 03-03-2018 at 10:24 AM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:34 AM   #8
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I've owned four bmws (currently have a 335iGT) and came from a e92m3 to a ss, then a zl1. The ss is an amazing car. You wont regret it. up to and in some cases excels over bmw quality and amenities. Its the real deal. The visibility issue goes away in about a day, and I drove my ss all winter long last year before buying the zl1. I put lm32 blizzaks on it and the traction system is great. I live upstate NY so we can get a lot of snow.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Dude, put me to sleep already with the BMW. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
If you need the back seats BMW. Else Camaro. It is that simple.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
+1. Simple calculation. M4 a different story and money...
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
Utvolman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
I think I’ve decided on the Chevy but I will say the back seat is pretty useless in my 328 as well.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utvolman99 View Post
I think I’ve decided on the Chevy but I will say the back seat is pretty useless in my 328 as well.
I've taken coworkers to lunch in the back of my 428 GC, no complaints and I made sure to ask if they were ok back there. There's no way that's happening with the Camaro. It's on a different (useless) level. Good for cargo though.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:07 AM   #14
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
Quote:
Camaro 2SS

Cons
- I'm sure you have never heard this before but seeing out of this thing is nerve racking! I'm sure I would get used to it but damn!
- I'm worried I would be a cop magnet and get more unwanted attention from the fuzz than I would in the others
I'm not sure about the 16's, but the 17 2SS's come with blind spot monitoring. That, combined with making sure your mirrors are adjusted correctly helps a TON with the blind spots.

I have gotten quite a few LOOKS from cops, but I have so far *knock on wood* not been pulled over in my 2SS. The whole time I had my Z4, I pretty much felt anonymous to the police.

Quote:
BMW
Pros
- AWD for the snow
- They must measure HP differently in Germany as it is rated at 320 HP but the stock dyno results are in the 330 range. Which makes sense as it weighs 3,700 lbs and has a 0-60 of 4.4 sec (12.7 sec 1/4 mile)
- Super easy to modify. A $550 JB4 tune brings the hp and torque at the wheels up to 380 (for each) and these cars are putting down 12.2s at the strip
- I think the BMW with a JB4 tune would win a street race more times than not against a 2SS with $550 worth of mods

Cons
- Power: While this is truly a fast car, it just doesn't have that monster power feel
- Cost of ownership: It's a Bring My Wallet, everything that may go wrong is expensive
-Sound: The exhaust is pretty tame. Just a moderate burble
AWD + the tune, yeah... You'd probably hook up better, red light to red light. I did like the flat, "always there" torque on my Z4 sDrive35i M-Sport. I "wanted" to tune it, but I wanted to get it paid off first.

Unfortunately, one of your cons reared it's ugly head a few months ago. The warranty was running out and the cost to extend that warranty and maintenance made no sense on a nearly-four-year-old car. ($7k is what they were telling me for 3 yrs more coverage.) I liked the Z4, especially on sunny, warm days. But, getting something newer with some GUTS to it... That won out for me.

You mentioned the exhaust... I liked some of the pops and things the exhaust on my Z4 made with the top down (I didn't seem to notice them with the top up ). It also seemed to have a slightly different growl to all the other BMW's I heard going in and out of the service area, when I was sitting outside waiting for them to complete some maintenance on my car one day. BUT, compared to the SS with NPP? That BMW was whisper quiet!

Good luck choosing!