Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 09-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
2013 Audi RS5 Challenge

So my buddy who has spent the last month searching for an M3 he wanted has shifted gears and instead has purchased a 2013 Audi RS5. I know the race is coming soon and on paper our cars are nearly identical in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times! His car is all wheel drive which I know will give him an advantage off the line therefore I know he'll insist on running from a standing start. I've not yet played with the launch control on my 2SS A8, but I've read where the pros feel they can better the 0-60 without launch control, but they may be referring to a manual trans where their skills come more into play.

My question is, are their any tricks that will give me the edge in this race? Is launch control my best bet, or just put it in Track mode and let'er rip? Adjust air pressure in the rear tires? Traction control on/off etc!

I've raced a lot over the years so I'm no stranger to this kind of thing, but I haven't raced this car yet so any pointers are appreciated!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The Audi has nothing on the SS, as long as you launch OK you will leave him in the dust.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
When I had my A8 with launch control I'd turn low 12's here in vegas which is generally slower than most other area's due to elevation. I think pro's yes probably can do better than launch, average joes? Launch control is pretty sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
So my buddy who has spent the last month searching for an M3 he wanted has shifted gears and instead has purchased a 2013 Audi RS5. I know the race is coming soon and on paper our cars are nearly identical in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times! His car is all wheel drive which I know will give him an advantage off the line therefore I know he'll insist on running from a standing start. I've not yet played with the launch control on my 2SS A8, but I've read where the pros feel they can better the 0-60 without launch control, but they may be referring to a manual trans where their skills come more into play.

My question is, are their any tricks that will give me the edge in this race? Is launch control my best bet, or just put it in Track mode and let'er rip? Adjust air pressure in the rear tires? Traction control on/off etc!

I've raced a lot over the years so I'm no stranger to this kind of thing, but I haven't raced this car yet so any pointers are appreciated!
Old 09-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
It's German and 4 years old, so he'll likely have electrical problems halfway down the track and it will shut off.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post

Yours is an Automatic...just stomp it.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
It's German and 4 years old, so he'll likely have electrical problems halfway down the track and it will shut off.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Just punch it from an idle...don't need launch control.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
The Audi has nothing on the SS, as long as you launch OK you will leave him in the dust.
I don't understand how some of you think the Camaro is the fastest thing on earth or something.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
Clin5910

Drives: 2016 2ss, whipple supercharged
Cars are close in peak hp but he will make that peak over 8000 rpm and with the lack of torque till he reaches 8000 rpm you should pull away. Also they weigh a hair over 4000 pounds so you have the weight advantage as well.
Clin5910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I almost bought the same car your buddy has. Here are the negatives on it that will matter for your "contest".

- AWD loses 15% of his advertised HP at each transaxle
- It's a heavy car
- Top end speed isn't the best
- Can't disable all the electronic nannies

If he breaks traction, the car will cut power to regain it so you'll take away some of his AWD advantage. Just try to go for a longer distance...1/4-1/2 mile and you should be fine.

On your Camaro maybe reset the battery so the computer starts learning all over again. That gives you more power sometimes by letting more air in through the intake when you go WOT. I'm not sure if it'll work on the Camaro but it gives other cars a temporary boost. Also do a burnout first so you don't trip traction control on the Camaro.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I don't understand how some of you think the Camaro is the fastest thing on earth or something.
I don't think it is the fastest thing on earth, but the Audi is WAY down on torque compared to the LT1 and weights 400 pounds more. That is big difference...just from specs.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #12
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
As mentioned, RS5 power comes on later, even with AWD, unless he weighs in at 100lbs and you're pushing 500lbs... you have him in TQ down low, and HP/LBS when you start moving. With the A8 you shouldn't have any issues pulling him from the go.

Edit: 1000th post... wheeee!

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I don't think it is the fastest thing on earth, but the Audi is WAY down on torque compared to the LT1 and weights 400 pounds more. That is big difference...just from specs.
Peak torque doesn't really mean that much, in and of itself. This was also the case when he was talking about the E90/92 M3, which "only" had 295 lb-ft torque.

Both cars make up for it in gearing, and the Audi is pretty much guaranteed to get it all to the ground thanks to AWD. The DSG in the Audi is also way better than the Camaro's auto.

If you're going to compare on specs, then you need to compare ALL the specs, not just whatever is convenient.

OP will need a really good launch, then the SS can make up for the RS5's holeshot and quick shifts.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Dollar for dollar its about the fastest. Wanna go faster? Put out some more ducketts.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote