Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #43
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
The stupidest engineering feat I’ve found on the Camaro is the wireless charger way back out of reach and mostly flat. One turn of a corner and you’ll be pulling over to the side of the road to dig it out from under a seat. But if you stop and think about it none of it matters since in GM’s lack of wisdom it don’t meet the wireless rules so for 99% of us it don’t work anyway.

A worthless feature imo
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #44
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
My two pet peeves are the placement of the power outlet/cigarette lighter and the steering wheel volume controls on the right side of the wheel ... I never use them because my right hand is usually near or on the shifter ... but that’s nitpicking ... the car is incredible....
That's not nitpicking at all. Why does GM keep doing this? If I want to use my right hand to control the volume, I'll just use the knob. Put the steering wheel volume controls on the left side, otherwise they're absolutely useless.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:59 PM   #45
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
That's not nitpicking at all. Why does GM keep doing this? If I want to use my right hand to control the volume, I'll just use the knob. Put the steering wheel volume controls on the left side, otherwise they're absolutely useless.
No, I like speed control with left hand (the hand I'm most likely to have on the steering wheel) and right hand for shifting. Perfect IMO. Radio controls are secondary IMO. If your primary hand on the wheel is your right, IMO you are doing it wrong.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #46
Kgoeb

Drives: 18 1LE, 12 Regal GS
GMs have always had the radio controls on the right side. You get used to it. Not a big deal.

-The window controls are kind of awkward in that you have to move your arm back to use them
-I wish there was something on the top corner of the seat to hold the seatbelt closer so it's not as much of a reach (perhaps this is only an issue if you sit further forward as I do)

Otherwise I don't mind the interior. Mind you, I picked the car up yesterday but it's so fun to drive it would take a lot of problems with the interior to spoil the car for me :P
Kgoeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #47
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
I totally agree with the cup holders and charging pad. Back seat is a given but not likely for classification. For me the rest though are perfect. I'm 6'1" and when I sit everything else falls right where it needs to making the ride and fit all that much better.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #48
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Just picked mine up a couple days ago and the weather in the northeast U.S. is still brutal (25 degrees this morning), so I only have a grand total of 84 miles on the car. Still, in that time I have already realized how ridiculous the locations of the USB slots are, and how limited the space is in the console. When I got the car home in the garage, I spent some time sitting in it learning how the Infotainment system works. I was doing this with the seat adjusted in the driving position, and I'm only 5'-7" so it's pretty far forward.

First thing I noticed is how awkward it is to raise the center console lid and push it open. Then I looked in the console for the USB slots, and I couldn't even see them. But I could feel them, so I plugged a 6" cable for my iPod Touch in one of the slots, and then realized that I could not plug the Lightning cable into the iPod! No matter how I contorted myself, I could not get both hands into the console area, so I ended up unplugging the cable, plugging it into the iPod first, and then plugging the USB end into the slot... Finally, the iPod is the 5th gen model, so it's the same size as an iPhone 6 with the small 4" screen. It barely fits flat on the console floor, only if you turn it sideways. (My Samsung J7 phone does not fit flat no matter how it is turned.)

First world problems to be sure, but it's hard to believe how ergonomic unfriendly it is. It's so bad I would be shocked if the 2019 refresh didn't address it.

That said, once plugged in, the MyLink system integrates amazingly with the iPod - much better than it did with my 2015 BMW (with the Technology package). In fact, the MyLink system in general is much better than the iDrive system in the BMW, but that's another topic.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #49
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Just picked mine up a couple days ago and the weather in the northeast U.S. is still brutal (25 degrees this morning), so I only have a grand total of 84 miles on the car. Still, in that time I have already realized how ridiculous the locations of the USB slots are, and how limited the space is in the console. When I got the car home in the garage, I spent some time sitting in it learning how the Infotainment system works. I was doing this with the seat adjusted in the driving position, and I'm only 5'-7" so it's pretty far forward.

First thing I noticed is how awkward it is to raise the center console lid and push it open. Then I looked in the console for the USB slots, and I couldn't even see them. But I could feel them, so I plugged a 6" cable for my iPod Touch in one of the slots, and then realized that I could not plug the Lightning cable into the iPod! No matter how I contorted myself, I could not get both hands into the console area, so I ended up unplugging the cable, plugging it into the iPod first, and then plugging the USB end into the slot... Finally, the iPod is the 5th gen model, so it's the same size as an iPhone 6 with the small 4" screen. It barely fits flat on the console floor, only if you turn it sideways. (My Samsung J7 phone does not fit flat no matter how it is turned.)

First world problems to be sure, but it's hard to believe how ergonomic unfriendly it is. It's so bad I would be shocked if the 2019 refresh didn't address it.

That said, once plugged in, the MyLink system integrates amazingly with the iPod - much better than it did with my 2015 BMW (with the Technology package). In fact, the MyLink system in general is much better than the iDrive system in the BMW, but that's another topic.
Get a tiny large-capacity USB drive, that's what I run in one of the slots for music, it's literally a fraction of the size of a phone. It's what I used in the BMW too. Funny thing is that BMW wanted to sell me a "hard drive" for the car that would cost hundreds of dollars and one day I hooked up the USB with all of my music and it functioned exactly the same, titles, pictures of album covers, etc., so same thing for like $20. That way I'm not constantly plugging and unplugging a phone/i-pod for music and it just works when I get in.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #50
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
6 foot and no real problems except for opening the console lid and the USB ports. It's a sports car folks and I enjoy driving mine everytime I get out in it. Every Camaro I ever had over the years since 1982 (5) has had design issues but I wouldn't have changed anything. IMO if you want luxury and better ergonomics then buy something besides a Camaro. Be thankful Chevy has kept it in production and not axed it like the talk from GM after 2002. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #51
EstebanVerde

Drives: 16 2SS Camaro
I actually think the ergonomics are one of the strong points of the car. The wheel placement and telescoping allows for a comfortable arm bend and good posture when you have your hands at 10 and 2 (I'm 6'1 and move the seat back quite a bit). Even better, I can also put both elbows on the armrests and my hands go right to the 8&4 position. I agree there are little things like the center console that could be better, but The Camaro nails the most important one (driver position). I've driven other lots of other cars and SUVs, and the camaro's ergonomics are better than them all by a longshot.
EstebanVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #52
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
6 foot and no real problems except for opening the console lid and the USB ports. It's a sports car folks and I enjoy driving mine everytime I get out in it. Every Camaro I ever had over the years since 1982 (5) has had design issues but I wouldn't have changed anything. IMO if you want luxury and better ergonomics then buy something besides a Camaro. Be thankful Chevy has kept it in production and not axed it like the talk from GM after 2002. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject!
Why do you think because it's a sports car, it can't have good interior design and ergonomics? The two are mutually exclusive? There's no sports car that has good interior storage and sensible USB connections?

Again, these are nitpicks and no one is saying that they want to get rid of their Camaro because of the crappy center storage console and ridiculous placement of the USB slots. This thread is just pointing out the things that could be better.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT

Last edited by wjones14; 03-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #53
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
After 500 miles, something is just really sticking out to me about the interior.
Now, I love the materials, it feels premium even in my 1SS trim. I like the screen, the HVAC controls, the air vents, the wheel, and guages are great.

But I feel like the window controls, the drive mode selector, and parking brake, are too far back. Like very noticeably.

If I want to use the window controls, I have to consciously move my left elbow backwards, awkwardly, and it feels like there isn't enough room to get in there and use the window buttons. Same thing with the stuff in the center console.

It's really annoying. Still love the car, but how did they miss this? Or is there some larger ergonomic issue at stake here, that they had to make that sacrifice?

I've never been in a car ever, where this has happened.
For me , the placement for everything is nice and comfy. The only thing I do not like is the door pull (to close the door from inside), the arm rest needs to go back a little and maybe more of a handle to grab onto.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #54
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstebanVerde View Post
I actually think the ergonomics are one of the strong points of the car. The wheel placement and telescoping allows for a comfortable arm bend and good posture when you have your hands at 10 and 2 (I'm 6'1 and move the seat back quite a bit). Even better, I can also put both elbows on the armrests and my hands go right to the 8&4 position. I agree there are little things like the center console that could be better, but The Camaro nails the most important one (driver position). I've driven other lots of other cars and SUVs, and the camaro's ergonomics are better than them all by a longshot.
Have you ever tried to get in it?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #55
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
I'm 5-8 and fit in the car perfectly and am fine with all the controls. My bitch is the e-brake button, I have had 2 people go "hey, what does this do...... Can you say Oh crap?

I do wish the steering wheel would tilt instead of just a column drop, the wheel is almost in my lap because I have to have the seat up so high.

As soon as I can find a cubby replacement for the phone charger I will be doing that.

I absolutely love this car, she's kinda like my wife, has a few quirks but I am going to keep her forever.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #56
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
My list of ergonomic gripes:

1. My right elbow falls not on the center console pad, but on the cup holders.

2. With my right elbow resting on the cup holders and my hand on the shifter, it's easy to unintentionally hit the drive mode button and change drive modes.

3. Just delete the back seat, for Pete's sake. I've been back there precisely once in nearly two years. The back of my driver's seat isn't even two inches away from the front of the back seat.

4. The super-high beltline makes using a drive-through ATM nearly impossible.

5. The USB ports in the center console are almost impossible to access while driving.

But DANG, does this car ever look good/drive great/sound awesome, which makes me not care too much about any of that stuff.
+1
I would add that for me the shifter seems too far rearward. I'm always having to move my elbow backwards to shift to 2, 4, 6 which means I bang it into the cupholders. The arm rest is far too narrow and the cup holders are too small anyway. They should've just used the pop-out ones like BMW.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote