#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #29
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb258 View Post
I've orders headers in the past from Maryland speed with no problems. Just ordered 2" looks and rotofab, really hoping it doesn't take more than 2 months.
I sincerely wish you luck.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #30
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I can only speak from my own personal experience, but I have 2" ARH headers that I ordered from RDP store and had them ceramic coat them before shipment. I am running the standard cats and the long system to factory muffler.

1. Fitment was perfect. No moving motor mounts, dimples, etc
2. Was able to install with mounts in place. Car on Jack stands 18" off ground, drivers side from bottom, pass from top.
3. Car currently at 740whp and climbing (still being tuned)
4. It's loud. Like wife physically jumped on first start..

Again, not saying they are "the best" or that others are not as good, just my personal experience.

https://youtu.be/RTpYmcI5sNk
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #31
ssrallyred

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I sincerely wish you luck.
Been a member of CF for years. They protect Brandon (MS) like no ones business. Deleted threads etc.

The length of time to ship does not bother me as much as your charged instantly instead of charged when the item ships. That's just BS to me unless its a special order part that can't be returned.
ssrallyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #32
Rumer10

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Garnet Red
Thanks for all the feedback on brands and sizes! I'm going with Stainless works because I'm getting a huge discount for letting them use my car for test fitment on some of their options. But also I am curious about coating the headers. I was planning on it but the guy at Stainless works pretty much said don't waste my money unless I'm using it as a full on track car, otherwise it should never get hot enough to make much difference...thoughts??
Rumer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #33
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I think it's a no brainer for superchargers...especially in hotter climates. Anything to keep the underhood temperature down is a good thing.

I just bought a new set of headers for my Z and my truck. I'm having them ceramic coated inside and out locally.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #34
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
This ^
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #35
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
I think it's a no brainer for superchargers...especially in hotter climates. Anything to keep the underhood temperature down is a good thing.

I just bought a new set of headers for my Z and my truck. I'm having them ceramic coated inside and out locally.
did you notice the heat go down?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #36
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumer10 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback on brands and sizes! I'm going with Stainless works because I'm getting a huge discount for letting them use my car for test fitment on some of their options. But also I am curious about coating the headers. I was planning on it but the guy at Stainless works pretty much said don't waste my money unless I'm using it as a full on track car, otherwise it should never get hot enough to make much difference...thoughts??
SW is another good brand that is less expensive than the top brands. I bought a set of their headers to use on my GT back when I had it. They arrived in a few days and looked extremely good. As far as coating headers I have never done so and none of my friends have either. I don't believe it is necessary. It is just an added cost. I've monitored temps in my cars many times back before and after headers. I never saw headers significantly increase any temps under the hood. Even in the dead of Summer over 100 degrees. If you wanna do it as insurance then it certainly won't hurt anything. But not doing it won't hurt anything either. You'll be fine with them as they are.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #37
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrallyred View Post
Been a member of CF for years. They protect Brandon (MS) like no ones business. Deleted threads etc.

The length of time to ship does not bother me as much as your charged instantly instead of charged when the item ships. That's just BS to me unless its a special order part that can't be returned.
No they do not delete threads. Trust me I have asked. They lock them once everyone has replied. They delete posts when people interfere in for sale threads.

You should see it from my standpoint. We sell really expensive stuff that takes a while. 70% of the headers sell are coated. They will take longer, and ARE special order.

We don't store credit card info, so we can't bill you a month later when your headers come in or are done coating. Also, I can't source this stuff and coat it, and then risk when it is done you pay for it. We used to do that and it is simply not workable. Too many people over the time the order takes spend the money elsewhere or simply become unreachable.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #38
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
did you notice the heat go down?
They are not installed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't believe it is necessary.
Most NASCAR teams and other race forums coat their exhaust with ceramic. Just sayin'.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #39
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
They are not installed yet.

Most NASCAR teams and other race forums coat their exhaust with ceramic. Just sayin'.
None of us are racing in NASCAR. And none of our cars are NASCAR either. And they do lots of things to their cars and the parts they use that we don't need to do. And they also use much more expensive headers than most of us would care to spend. And those cars are sponsored and they aren't spending their money for the parts or what is done to the parts. For DD purposes with some track use it is not necessary. It won't hurt but it also won't do much if anything at all. I'm not against them and I'm not saying not to use them. I'm just saying you don't have to and it won't change much for the purposes of street/strip.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #40
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
None of us are racing in NASCAR. And none of our cars are NASCAR either. And they do lots of things to their cars and the parts they use that we don't need to do. And they also use much more expensive headers than most of us would care to spend. And those cars are sponsored and they aren't spending their money for the parts or what is done to the parts. For DD purposes with some track use it is not necessary. It won't hurt but it also won't do much if anything at all. I'm not against them and I'm not saying not to use them. I'm just saying you don't have to and it won't change much for the purposes of street/strip.
There was no inference that there are any NASCAR drivers here. Have you heard of trickle down? That's where a lot of the technology and improvements arrives in our cars.

I think those that have experienced heatsoak would disagree...strongly... with your statement that it won't change much on the strip. Ceramic coating is not voodoo science...its thermal properties are real. There is no shortage of info on substantially reduced exterior header temps, which relates to cooler underhood temps, cooler [intake] air, and certainly reduced heatsoak. Additionally, there is no shortage of info of higher interior header temps, which assists in exhaust gas flow.

The jury is still out on increased hp. I would not coat for that reason. It is well established that underhood temps decrease with ceramic coating. In Alaska or on the pole this may be a nonfactor. It is also a nonfactor for a pleasure cruise. But if you push the car hard, whether on the street or the strip, particularly when the ambient temp is high (above 80' or 90'), I stand by my statement that ceramic coating is a no brainer on a supercharged car.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #41
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
There was no inference that there are any NASCAR drivers here. Have you heard of trickle down? That's where a lot of the technology and improvements arrives in our cars.

I think those that have experienced heatsoak would disagree...strongly... with your statement that it won't change much on the strip. Ceramic coating is not voodoo science...its thermal properties are real. There is no shortage of info on substantially reduced exterior header temps, which relates to cooler underhood temps, cooler [intake] air, and certainly reduced heatsoak. Additionally, there is no shortage of info of higher interior header temps, which assists in exhaust gas flow.

The jury is still out on increased hp. I would not coat for that reason. It is well established that underhood temps decrease with ceramic coating. In Alaska or on the pole this may be a nonfactor. It is also a nonfactor for a pleasure cruise. But if you push the car hard, whether on the street or the strip, particularly when the ambient temp is high (above 80' or 90'), I stand by my statement that ceramic coating is a no brainer on a supercharged car.
Well then go for it. I said I'm not against it. And I said it won't hurt anything. And it doesn't affect or bother me what someone decides to spend their money on. But if someone asks I'll give my advice. Like I said I did monitor temps on my car before and after headers. This was on my 5th Gen SS. I DD'd that car and took it to the track many times. I had no issues with underhood temps at all even at the track on 90+ degree days. The 6th Gen ZL1 is built way better and has way better cooling due to all the heat exchangers. I highly doubt you'll have any issues with underhood heat. In fact, none of my cars ever did. But if you feel more comfortable with it then go right ahead. I'm not one to criticize or ridicule. But it also is not a "no-brainer" nor is it necessary. It is an option and it isn't even a serious one at that. I won't be coating mine. None of my friends did coating on theirs. And I'll do some before and after comparisons again.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #42
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Well, however good and well cooled the 6th ZL1 is...

We all know that the LT4 itself is a HOT motor. And though no body can get it to overheat in stock form on the ZL1, who knows what might happen after you wind up the stock Heaton blower. That 10-20 degree under the hood temps might be worth it. (Especially true for people that don't plan on a cam swap, ahem.)
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote