Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
camarostar, nobody has the right to do what that driver did.

The cop may have been dumb, but I'm interested in what law gives the driver the right to move a pedestrian out of his way with his vehicle. The circumstances leading up to that are not mitigating. he knew that his car was right there up against the cop
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #30
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I would probably get pretty ticked off if a car was on my foot, too.

My civilian sense tells me the Ferrari driver was in the wrong.

He wasn't driving away to go somewhere, he was driving away to try to get out of the ticket, otherwise his GF would have been in the car (at least I didn't see her in the car initially).

I thought the LEO acted appropriately, and I would expect to be treated as such if I did that to a LEO or anyone. Therefore, I don't do it. But...common sense ain't too common.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
It seems the are varying schools of though here..and being that I "lets say know " about the nypd...and can assert that many people are rodney kings and diallo's...and the pd never get a day in jail. I will also assert that I know many people in many positions. Hence I speak from straight up experience on many levels here. An officer "can not" detain or obstruct a motor veh unless "there is probable cause of a crime" "illegal parking inst a crime...its a violation thats get adjourned thru an adminstrative law judge. Another reason that you can be pulled over is if u commit a moving violation...know as VTL...under veh traffic law. A person can be detained to verify id since they are being summoned...not the car. If u notice the car was being summoned here. Actually both these men did many things wrong. I actually can defend and condemn them both. Weird I know. But as a man who respects law. I say this...Upon being told to stop..the driver must stop. He must obey a lawful order. The cop attacked like a total teenager and broke a few rules. In the end our society is fractured. And the next few years in the US are going to be very dangerous for us all. God help us to be humble, and wise.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #32
camarostar2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
I would probably get pretty ticked off if a car was on my foot, too.

My civilian sense tells me the Ferrari driver was in the wrong.

He wasn't driving away to go somewhere, he was driving away to try to get out of the ticket, otherwise his GF would have been in the car (at least I didn't see her in the car initially).

I thought the LEO acted appropriately, and I would expect to be treated as such if I did that to a LEO or anyone. Therefore, I don't do it. But...common sense ain't too common.

John B.

Well the cop actually already had most the info...all u need is the plate. Then u call central and get the rest of the info...oh trust me,,,the ticket was coming in the mail...no excuses on that. But that wanna be tough guy unwisely played a pissing contest with a rookie to prove some thing..and here is where things get ugly ..smh
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
camarostar2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT-006 View Post
Id like an officer to pipe in here and actually say what is or is not legal about the detainment. I dont see how he can not be detained for a reasonable amount of time..if an officer pulls u over to write you a citation for speeding..that does not mean you can casually leave and have him mail you the citation. that would make no sense. There fore i think if your vehicle is being cited for an offense and the officer asks you to stop then that is what should be done.
under vtl..u must be present and give id...once the summons is issued then you canl leave..but this isnt vtl...its a parking law situation. the rules here are a bit different
Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
camarostar2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
camarostar, nobody has the right to do what that driver did.

The cop may have been dumb, but I'm interested in what law gives the driver the right to move a pedestrian out of his way with his vehicle. The circumstances leading up to that are not mitigating. he knew that his car was right there up against the cop
u are very right..no one should try to force a person out of the way. this however, is disputed. First the cop willfully moved in front of the car...secondly...he wasnt told to stop...until after the fact. Regretfully this young man wasn't prudent to leave the cop alone...and tried to go around him. the cop took that and ran with it. The rest as u can see didnt go well......thats why this case is very complicated...there is a gray area..and the verdict is in the public's hand now.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #35
Vaux96

Drives: 45th 2SS LS3, 05 Ram 1500 SLT
It doesn't matter who parked the car, if it's parked illegally the owner will get the ticket. Tell it to the judge.

IMO, this situation could have been handled better by the officers. You are considered detained in a traffic stop or when being issued a citation. So the driver was not allowed to leave. And the cop was telling him this and as a way to make him stop decided to place himself in front of the vehicle. Now doing that is not wrong or illegal, but it can be dangerous. Why put yourself at risk of some idiot trying to run you over for a parking ticket? Not a good move, especially when you already have his info. So they pull him out and cuff him, ok, but then he is just laying there in the street with cars driving by next to him? You have a guy in cuffs you are responsible for his safety, put him in the squad or sit him over on the sidewalk.
Vaux96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #36
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
All that over a parking ticket.........humans behaving badly!!
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #37
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
The ticket wasn't for parking, it was for failing to display registration sticker in the windshield, which you can see on the SUV behind the Ferrari, and on the taxi's. The Ferrari also doesn't have a front plate, so there's two infractions right there, and where the car is parked becomes irrelevant.

If the sticker wasn't there, then it could mean the plates are bad, and the cop may not have had time to finish writing down the VIN so they had at least some concrete information on the car.

Point being that it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to come up with a decent reason for why the cop would detain the individual.

As for the rest, I think the foot under the tire is no different than a speed trap, or when a cop asks you what you think you got pulled over for. It's an invitation to break the law, and the driver took it. One could try and see if this qualifies as entrapment, but since there were two times the driver tried to advance, only the second one with the cop's foot under the tire, it would be a hard sell to say the driver wasn't already trying to get away to escape from the ticket regardless of consequences.

Would it be different if the cop had been hit by the side-view mirror instead of his foot being run over?
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Yea, pissing contest really. You can see his plate, send him a ticket in the mail instead of trying to stop a car with your foot...
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #39
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard442 View Post
His car was parked by valet and he was at that hotel. Why should he pay a ticket? Just because he has money he shouldn't care ? Um ok....
That doesn't make it the cops fault, the hotel should pay the ticket then, still can't run over a cop cuz the hotel is stupid
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #40
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaspari View Post
i think that cop kinda asked for it.. he stepped in front of the car, saw the guy was going to drive, so why would you continue to stay there and put your foot under the wheel? you have his license plate so its not like you couldnt do anythign baout it if he drove off?

Clear disrespect to the officer and he had NO right to even attempt to move the car as he was given an order to not move several times. Police have a hard enough time and take the ticket and bring it up w/the Hotel....or pay it. Bad LEO's are few and far between, but this guy was doing his job and I sure would not want it...arrogant people who think they are above laws get no respect from me.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #41
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Ferrari driver is a dewsh.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #42
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
yeah saw that the other day. what did he think would happen?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote