Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #71
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnin' Rubber View Post
But I think we have been spoiled by concepts we have seen like these.

I decided to make a quick composite to see how these tail lamps would have looked on the 6th gen. IMO, it would have been pretty killer. Oh well.

RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #72
fradaj

Drives: RS
Gripes:

I don't like all the piano black stuff on the SS exterior, also don't like the chrome stuff on the RS grills. The vertical driving lights on the RS will need some getting used to.

Overall I like the interior, it did look like some pieces in there were not exactly production ready.

Will be interesting to see how the different option packages turn out and figuring the coolest way to spec one out.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #73
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Let me say that overall, I really like the car - especially the performance upgrades (engine, A8 tranny, suspension). GM did a great job.

Only a few gripes (and I'm focusing on the SS):

1. Factory Wheels - don't like 'em, but I see they will offer several other styles and satin blacks.

2. Upper and lower front grille mesh pattern - SUCKS. It looks like an afterthought and is very haphazard looking. The LT grilles look great - maybe they'll be interchangeable.

3. Rear spoiler - what is this, a Honda? The "wing" spoiler looks crappy and cheap. Hope there is a optional version that affixes flush to the trunk lid, or someone come up with a good aftermarket replacement.

4. Interior Center Console - Really? Was this just something they put in to fill the space.

5. Seat back badging - I hope the plastic looking SS badges stuck to the seat backs were just my imagination. They certainly didn't come from anyone on the Camaro Team's imagination. Embroidered stitching or nothing at all.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #74
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
It seems there are a few people in this thread who are not happy with the SS spoiler. Looks are definitely subjective, but after listening to Tom Peters spend 15 minutes explaining the why and wherefore of the design of the SS's spoiler, I'm happy to accept the performance benefits of that spoiler as outlined by Tom.
It seems the spoiler is extremely functional at high speed as it significantly contributes to the downforce on the rear end. Tom was adamant about the fact that given the SS's performance (faster than a 5th Gen 1LE on a road course), it was necessary to spend the time in the wind tunnel to make the spoiler contribute to the car's high speed stability. Rest assured there is a purpose to every angle, curve and open space on that spoiler. The priority was function. Aesthetics was a consideration, but secondary to making the spoiler contribute to the overall performance of the car.

Best regards,

Elie
The hideous Honda-looking SS spoiler should be an optional thing for those who will be tracking their cars and regularly reaching those "high speeds". Other than that small percentage of owners, aesthetics should drive the design. Something more like this would be more appropriate as the "standard":
Name:  Side View.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  66.6 KB
That spoiler is God-awful!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #75
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
I'm fine with the lower vents as long as they don't hit any of my body. I like to point my vents upwards and away from me which works better to cool the cabin in general. I hope they have enough adjustment upwards.
I actually read this last night and tried it this morning. I have to say it worked pretty well, so thanks for sharing.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #76
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Let me say that overall, I really like the car - especially the performance upgrades (engine, A8 tranny, suspension). GM did a great job.

Only a few gripes (and I'm focusing on the SS):

1. Factory Wheels - don't like 'em, but I see they will offer several other styles and satin blacks.

2. Upper and lower front grille mesh pattern - SUCKS. It looks like an afterthought and is very haphazard looking. The LT grilles look great - maybe they'll be interchangeable.

3. Rear spoiler - what is this, a Honda? The "wing" spoiler looks crappy and cheap. Hope there is a optional version that affixes flush to the trunk lid, or someone come up with a good aftermarket replacement.

4. Interior Center Console - Really? Was this just something they put in to fill the space.

5. Seat back badging - I hope the plastic looking SS badges stuck to the seat backs were just my imagination. They certainly didn't come from anyone on the Camaro Team's imagination. Embroidered stitching or nothing at all.
I know its your opinion, but what about the mesh pattern in the ss grill sucks? Bottom looks like the zl1 top like the z28, they did a perfect job on the grill.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #77
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
I know its your opinion, but what about the mesh pattern in the ss grill sucks? Bottom looks like the zl1 top like the z28, they did a perfect job on the grill.
Well it just looks like, to me, they grabbed about 8 pieces of that stretched and punched steel plating, painted it black, and stuck it in there however it would fit. That, and it will be a bitch to clean.

Name:  2016 Camaro SS-1.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  47.2 KB

I much prefer the clean symmetrical look of the LT grille... minus the chrome.

Name:  2016 Camaro SS-2.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  72.0 KB

Even if they used the mesh and just made it look like one continuous piece, it would look much better, IMHO.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #78
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Fair enough, I think they both look really good. Personally I've always like the honey comb type grille, looks more aggressive IMHO.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #79
SW31SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE

OMG - this blows away what the 2016 looks like. Had not seen this before but GM could have killed the competition with this.
SW31SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #80
91Zman

Drives: '13 1SS/RS IOM white stripes
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I decided to make a quick composite to see how these tail lamps would have looked on the 6th gen. IMO, it would have been pretty killer. Oh well.

THAT...would have been A LOT better than the concept's.
91Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #81
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Fair enough, I think they both look really good. Personally I've always like the honey comb type grille, looks more aggressive IMHO.
And I'm sure it looks better in person. Photos rarely do justice to the real thing.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #82
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
It seems there are a few people in this thread who are not happy with the SS spoiler. Looks are definitely subjective, but after listening to Tom Peters spend 15 minutes explaining the why and wherefore of the design of the SS's spoiler, I'm happy to accept the performance benefits of that spoiler as outlined by Tom.
It seems the spoiler is extremely functional at high speed as it significantly contributes to the downforce on the rear end. Tom was adamant about the fact that given the SS's performance (faster than a 5th Gen 1LE on a road course), it was necessary to spend the time in the wind tunnel to make the spoiler contribute to the car's high speed stability. Rest assured there is a purpose to every angle, curve and open space on that spoiler. The priority was function. Aesthetics was a consideration, but secondary to making the spoiler contribute to the overall performance of the car.

Best regards,

Elie
Still doesn't explain why the z/28, a track-oriented car, doesn't have a spoiler that looks like crap. Doesn't explain why... hm... performance oriented manufacturers like, I don't know, Lamborghini and Ferrari somehow achieve aero without spoilers that look like crap.

Excuses, honestly. There's a way to achieve both functionality and form. They've missed the mark and won't admit it. Beyond that, don't they realize that, at the end of the day, 99% of buyers rather have a better looking spoiler that produces slightly less downforce at the benefit of having their car *not* look like it's using an aftermarket part from the 90s? My gut tells me this thing won't survive into the 2017 model year due to poor reception.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #83
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Well it just looks like, to me, they grabbed about 8 pieces of that stretched and punched steel plating, painted it black, and stuck it in there however it would fit. That, and it will be a bitch to clean.

Attachment 718058

I much prefer the clean symmetrical look of the LT grille... minus the chrome.

Attachment 718059

Even if they used the mesh and just made it look like one continuous piece, it would look much better, IMHO.
On the LT grille those chrome strips look to be on the bottom side of the ribs, may be easy to remove and not leave visible holes.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #84
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Still doesn't explain why the z/28, a track-oriented car, doesn't have a spoiler that looks like crap. Doesn't explain why... hm... performance oriented manufacturers like, I don't know, Lamborghini and Ferrari somehow achieve aero without spoilers that look like crap.

Excuses, honestly. There's a way to achieve both functionality and form. They've missed the mark and won't admit it. Beyond that, don't they realize that, at the end of the day, 99% of buyers rather have a better looking spoiler that produces slightly less downforce at the benefit of having their car *not* look like it's using an aftermarket part from the 90s? My gut tells me this thing won't survive into the 2017 model year due to poor reception.
Maybe they are just getting ready for a return of Knight Rider?
Attached Images