Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #71
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Smile

If this is only an option, I don't see any problem with that. There should be a choice for everybody.
I was surprised when I read on MT, on how the lap times improved on the Porsche Carrera S4 (that has 4WD) VS a RWD Porsche Carrera S. Now days you see 4WD sport cars everywhere Lamborguini, Nissan GTR, Porsche, Audi, etc. it's very common, most people believed that an automatic was never going to be better than a standard transmission at the track. Porsche prove the contrary the automatic PDK Porsches are faster, Ferrari, BMW, Audi, Nissan GTR, McLaren has them, and they are better, improving lap times.
Is just a matter of choice, going with the future or sticking in the past. One of the Top Lap times at Nurburgring was done by a Porsche Hybrid: Porsche 918 spider.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #72
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
If there's a market for it, why not?

I live in sunny california, i never have to worry about snow or ice, but i know that there are other americans across the country who do, and for them an AWD camaro would be a great buy.

So here's what i would like: options. I would like the option to pick either AWD or RWD when i buy a camaro, so people across the country who may benefit from AWD can get theirs, and people who, like me, live in snowless states/areas can enjoy a lighter and more traditional RWD pony car.

I just hope that if AWD is forced, it has an active option to redistribute the power to at least 99% to the rear...
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #73
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
I think it's a no brainer to offer it as an option. If you like doing burnouts, stick to the rwd option. AWD would be a step up for sure. Porsche 911 Turbo, Audi RS5, GTR, Lamborghini Aventador, Bugatti Veyron, Audi R8, E63 AMG. AWD rules once you start pushing big power but you have to do it right and try to squeeze every ounce of fat out of the car.
There-in lies the problem, not to mention a beefed up (and heavier) frame to accommodate that option.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #74
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
If this is only an option, I don't see any problem with that.
Fine, but here's my take on this "option" (and I could be wrong). There is no way you can have AWD without beefing up the front suspension, transmission, and possibly rear suspension also, IMO. That said, Camaro did significant things to this car to reduce the overall weight - wonderful. But I don't think GM is going to offer two different frames/suspensions/etc. on the Camaro platform, on the whim that someone may want AWD. This will jack up the cost of production and MSRP. And if they make it an "option" for any variant of the Camaro, ALL Camaros will have to be beefed up and, thereby, cancel out that weight loss they managed... and raise the price across the board.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #75
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Fine, but here's my take on this "option" (and I could be wrong). There is no way you can have AWD without beefing up the front suspension, transmission, and possibly rear suspension also, IMO. That said, Camaro did significant things to this car to reduce the overall weight - wonderful. But I don't think GM is going to offer two different frames/suspensions/etc. on the Camaro platform, on the whim that someone may want AWD. This will jack up the cost of production and MSRP. And if they make it an "option" for any variant of the Camaro, ALL Camaros will have to be beefed up and, thereby, cancel out that weight loss they managed... and raise the price across the board.
I think you are wrong on at least a few items. First, there is no frame to beef up, it is a unibody. Second, the 6L50 was already AWD compatible, and apparently the 8L45/50 are as well because they are already being used in AWD vehicles. As for beefier suspension, who knows, but the ATS RWD's weight didn't seem to suffer much by having an AWD option.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #76
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Camaro is NOT a muscle car and Camaro is NOT a sports car.

It is a, however, a performance car. And if AWD improves that performance it should be considered.

GM itself will use sports and muscle when referring to the Camaro. That's just a ploy to make the connection for sales and marketing. But the truth is GM has a true sports car in the Corvette but as the have very few RWD cars to over power with a high HP V8 (that is a muscle car) they can only hope you think the Camaro is both a spirts car and a muscle car.
What kind of performance gains and at what cost to the entire Camaro line,not just the AWD version?

How would the beefed up from sub-frame affect the non AWD version?

We have Corvettes and Camaros that can take down sports car (or performance cars if you like) that cost two or three times as much, no need to complicate that with AWD.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #77
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Called it!

6th Gen ZL1 Camaro with AWD.
That would be insane. You already know it's getting a power bump too.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #78
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
That would be insane. You already know it's getting a power bump too.
Agreed.

The obvious choice is LT4 640+hp.

GTR killer....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #79
Blazin40s

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I'm a die-hard RWD fan and love my 4th M6 LS1 gen for the raw experience and lack of electrical nannies; that being said, I've driven my dad's A6 Corvette GS and you end up turning the faster times with electrical aids on. Having the car being able to help you with your available traction RELIABLY gives you confidence to push it to limits (with help from time to time) and drive faster. One car is absolute proof of this; the Nissan GTR. The fact that it's an overweight pig it laps faster than a Corvette Z06. The only reason it's capable of doing this is an amazing AWD and traction management system (ok and the short gearing and turbo V6 deserve credit). GM has already said the front engine RWD setup is what limits the car right now.

So while I'd love to see the Camaro keep a RWD option (it's what I'd buy anyways) if the platform allows for an AWD power train why not offer it?

Also; if they made an all out AWD LT4 stripped down version like the C5 Z28, can we agree that Z48 is an appropriate model name?

Last edited by Blazin40s; 05-23-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Also
Blazin40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #80
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Like most others I would only be okay with it if it didn't drive cost and weight up of the 2wd versions.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #81
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
For those who do not get the GM Authority daily newsletter, this was one of the articles today. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/05/...7311-312434101

That's right. GM is asking for opinions from Camaro fans, whether or not to introduce an ALL WHEEL DRIVE version of the Gen6 Camaro. In my opinion, this is sacrilege! I voted and posted a comment against it, suggesting that GM get rid of the non-selling "SS" sedan and reintroduce the Chevelle as their grocery-getter with various engines and, yes... even an AWD version. Or, make the whole line AWD.

I'm all for GM keeping up with technology, but I'm even more geared toward maintaining certain traditions - specifically, that the Camaro remain a two-door, RWD, sports/pony/muscle car. The next thing you know they'll be wanting to make it a four-door.

If you are a traditional Camaro enthusiast, please read the brief article and vote against the idea of an AWD Camaro. Thank you.
Let's just say that I really dislike the specks below !
Should i start a petetion asking GM to not make it available for anyone ? That's a nonsense way of thinking , let alone for a potencilally financial advantage on selling more cars than the other guys around in the same field
It make no sense at all from the business point of view
If one think the way you are thinking , the auto industry ( IE) Camaro included will be still looking like the first G , no new anything added over the years
Attached Images

oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #82
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Keep the tradition. AWD Camaro? What's next, women voting?

Will Bruce Jenner be alawed to vote ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #83
V1K

Drives: 1999 camaro SS
How about an option for an all out performance camaro with AWD, an NA LS7 worked over to get more than 600 hp and 600 LB-ft of torque, light body, big brakes, paddle shifted and performance better than the current Z-28 ? Something that can easily compete with a porsche gt3 ?
V1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #84
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
Probably would only be available with an automatic transmission. I read an article years ago in Hotrod Magazine about an all wheel steering IROC, never happened. All wheel drive has been considered many times before but never happened. Unless you want a jacked up 4x4 Camaro. It should be an option. I would like to see it available for the V6 with a twin turbo, and manual transmission. Like an analog version of the GTR R35 except half the price, and twice the looks.
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote