Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked84 View Post
Goes to show sounding good and being loud are not the same thing. That sounds like crap.
You sound like crap.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Non NPP here. I think it sounds good but a bit too quiet overall. I like the quiet but would like to be louder at times; that's why I'm getting QTP Exhaust Cut Outs so I can make it loud or quiet when I want.

With cutouts can you have them open partially or is it full open full closed? If you can run them partially open I would think that would be the way to go as you can find that nice medium range where it adds just the right amount of sound without sounding like an old broke down hick truck lol.
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #17
Zomies

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS & GSX-S1000
My 1SS non npp. Way to quiet stock, only time it has any noise is the first three seconds of a cold start. The npp is better but I would have still wanted it to be louder. Ended up ordering the Hooker Blackheart axle back with muffler and should be at my house by sometime next week.
Zomies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #18
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Decided to order a Borla ATAK axleback today. I installed that setup on my '16 C7 Convertible and was quite pleased with it. Should sound pretty much the same on the Camaro.

Last edited by Hyper RS; 02-23-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Hyper RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #19
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked84 View Post
Goes to show sounding good and being loud are not the same thing. That sounds like crap.
Really? I think that sounds pretty good.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
englewood73

Drives: blue 2016 camaro 1SS
I got the non npp and full exhaust change was my first mod I did a full cat back borla ATAK with secondary cat deletes I like it
englewood73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 PM   #21
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
I like the fact that the non NPP equipped cars are significantly lighter ( no suitcase ) maybe even faster
Its quieter ( less police presence acknowledged ) and less likely like the other guy said above to piss off the neighbors ,scare small children or helicopter parents .

It does share the " porsche pop " sound when banging gears .at full throttle . I think it was kooks or borla that did a test on the factory exhaust and it literally made no power difference at open header at the cat . The " kink " Ithought for sure was restrictive .

I do like the throaty sound of the dual mode exhaust no doubt ! But I notice the cops dont bother me much with the quiet ass exhaust ) like my hush hush grand national 30 years ago )
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #22
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I had the standard exhaust on my Gen 5. One time, someone told me it sounded good, but it never sounded anything special. I had a subaru before that with a borla aggressive exhaust that sounded like a low-rumbling earthquake all the time, not at all the high-pitch one usually associates with japanese cars. I literally had a person at a drive through looking left and right for the V8 car making all the noise when I was sitting right in front of them. So going to the SS, I was happy with the car overall, but the noise was totally forgettable.

The 2018 I just got couldn't be more different. When you start it up with the NPP it opens the valves and it just goes off like a damn lion roaring. It's like listening to For Whom the Bell Tolls at level 11. Downshifting and more than half or so throttle pulls open the valves and it's just music to the ears with popping and growling, sounds so good like you can actually tell the engine is there doing something. It's a soundtrack and it's not some pumped-in electronic BS. For a stock exhaust, this is really good, totally happy. I'm running it in track mode all the time now because...F-yeah.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 AM   #23
Matamatic

Drives: 2018 2SS Vert M6
Has anyone installed the Chevrolet Performance axle-back exhaust system on their SS and how does that sound during start/operation?
A few weeks ago, I rented a 17 SS for a week while on a business trip to see if I liked driving the car. The only time I was able to hear the exhaust from the outside was when I did an auto start while walking up to the car. As stated previously in the thread, it had a pretty good pop to it and I thought maybe the Chevy axle-back would be a bad idea for my future car as I leave the house very early AM and don't want to start a war with the neighbors (Well maybe not all of them).
It also had me curious since it says on the Chevy website that active noise cancellation is included for the Bose systems. Does that automatically compensate for the axle-back or does it need to have the software tweaked in a setting, or new software installed to have the ANR work to the new configuration?
Matamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #24
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
For those worried about the neighbors, the NPP in touring mode is pretty quiet.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #25
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
For those worried about the neighbors, the NPP in touring mode is pretty quiet.
Except it still opens up completely at start-up, and it sets the alarm off on my neighbor's car.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #26
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Except it still opens up completely at start-up, and it sets the alarm off on my neighbor's car.
In stealth the valves stay closed on startup. It's still somewhat noisy on a cold start but I don't think it's any different from the standard exhaust.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #27
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Yeah, that signature GM large displacement roar-to-life start-up can't be quelled easily. Still think it's a little quieter in T mode.

In your case, I'd be nice to the neighbors. Down here, people are used to loud exhausts.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #28
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
I wouldnt have passed up on this option, plus you get the rear valance cut out for quad tips already if you happen to want to upgrade in the future.
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote